• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (9 Viewers)

A few pics taken from the east hide just before the mist lifted.
can't compete with Rob's.

The 1st 3, don't need tags
the 4th pic shows the east island and part of Amy's marsh

Attachments

• 1.snipe gud (5).JPG
    1.snipe gud (5).JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 2.lit grebe (3).jpg
    2.lit grebe (3).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.green woodp(2) (2).jpg
    3.green woodp(2) (2).jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 4.Amy's marsh.JPG
    4.Amy's marsh.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 40
Thanks to everyone for the continued laudatory feedback and thanks to Rob et all for posting some cracking shots. I think we are already reaping the benefits of the lower viewing level in the new Flashes hide. I'm downloading yesterday's images from the camera as I type.
To answer Paul's question (albeit it a bit late) my recording equipment is very much 'entry level' with both elements having been procured from eBay. I'm using an Olympus dictaphone-type digital recorder (there are load on eBay ranging, in price, from about £40-£300 on eBay and fit easily into a pocket) and I hand hold a Zennheiser MKE 300 shotgun-type microphone (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SENNHEISER-MKE-300-D-DIRECTIONAL-VIDEO-ELECTRET-CONDENSER-MICROPHONE-/110845714115?pt=UK_Photography_Microphones&hash=item19ceeb5ec3) with a willy warmer-type wind protector (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/windscree...257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item48406b4d39).

Last edited:
For a lot of the morning, yesterday the Flashes were pretty dark and misty, but all parts were visible from the hide. Similarly, for most of the morning there were two LRP present. At some point this number increased to three. There was a theory abounding in the hide that the early shift of two had been replaced by three different birds... I struggle to subscribe to this as (let alone the odds of this occurring) I can't believe that the continual occupants of the hide not only missed two bird physically leaving but also missed three birds dropping in. When things quietened down John and I tried to do some individual IDs of the three birds, but they remained at range and the exercise proved "inconclusive". I'll concentrate on putting up LRP photos in this post to see if anything develops as I process some of the pictures.
My first offering was taken at 09:38:15 (according to the EXIF in the metadata) so it's somewhat grainy (ISO 500) as it was still fairly gloomy and is (I think) the only shot I have of both original birds together.

LRP_resize1.jpg

These next two images were taken a bit later at 11:08:54 with slightly improve weather and light conditions (ISO 320). The first bird has a noticeably lighter bib than the second. The second, darker bibbed bird also has darker ear coverts which (if I was taking in what JTB told me yesterday) indicates a male bird.

LRP_resize2.jpg

LRP_resize3.jpg

I have things to do before family arrive, so I'll cut this short and post more later...

SJV

Last edited:
These next two images were taken a bit later at 11:08:54 with slightly improve weather and light conditions (ISO 320). The first bird has a noticeably lighter bib than the second. The second, darker bibbed bird also has darker ear coverts which (if I was taking in what JTB told me yesterday) indicates a male bird.

SJV

Black ear coverts for the male and brown for the female. At present they are not quite in summer plumage.;)John

13 Avocet reported at the Flashes this morning.

Rob

as well as Bobs sightings
Just heard from Mike (wheatearlp) who asked me to post his sightings, he is still there so hopefully more to be added later.
Avocet 12, LRP 2, Oystercatcher 6, gadwall 5, plus 6 singing chiffchaff and 2 blackcaps.

Over the next few weeks things should be moving rapidly. If you visit the reserve could you please add your sightings. This will help us monitor the breeding birds and also add interest to this thread.
Birds to note are the waders, wildfowl, singing migrants and any unusual sightings. Anything you think is of a sensitive nature, please PM any of regulars. Although the reserve is busy at times, you would be surprised how many records never get added to the log books and are lost in time. This media can be used as a back up to the log books and will help us collate the annual reports.
B :)John
Many thanks for your help to give us a better understanding of the reserve.

I'm hoping to get over for a couple of hours later, if i can get enough of this assignment done. I was wondering John, have you noticed any interest in any of the boxes? I'm hoping to do a bit of box surveying and any indicators would help, cheers.

as well as Bobs sightings
Just heard from Mike (wheatearlp) who asked me to post his sightings, he is still there so hopefully more to be added later.
Avocet 12, LRP 2, Oystercatcher 6, gadwall 5, plus 6 singing chiffchaff and 2 blackcaps.

Over the next few weeks things should be moving rapidly. If you visit the reserve could you please add your sightings. This will help us monitor the breeding birds and also add interest to this thread.
Birds to note are the waders, wildfowl, singing migrants and any unusual sightings. Anything you think is of a sensitive nature, please PM any of regulars. Although the reserve is busy at times, you would be surprised how many records never get added to the log books and are lost in time. This media can be used as a back up to the log books and will help us collate the annual reports.
Many thanks for your help to give us a better understanding of the reserve.

13 Avocets when I left the Flashes at 10am. Also Shelduck and 2 Curlews. The Avocets were very active early on in the foggy light and then all fell asleep for an hour. Some action shots per Flickr link below!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/ :t:

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get over for a couple of hours later, if i can get enough of this assignment done. I was wondering John, have you noticed any interest in any of the boxes? I'm hoping to do a bit of box surveying and any indicators would help, cheers.

Blue tit with a beakful of nesting material right by the box on the right between Hen Pool hide & feeder hide. didn't stop to see if it went in as it was a bit spooky. do the boxes have no's for easy id?

Rob

Blue tit with a beakful of nesting material right by the box on the right between Hen Pool hide & feeder hide. didn't stop to see if it went in as it was a bit spooky. do the boxes have no's for easy id?

Rob

Hi Rob, yeah I have numbered and recorded all the boxes, cheers for the info I will record it for my studies :t:

had a couple of hours today here's a few pics.

Attachments

• DSC00976.jpg
    DSC00976.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC01008.jpg
    DSC01008.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC01012.jpg
    DSC01012.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC01030.jpg
    DSC01030.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 60
Another mystery bird, well a mystery to me anyway. Saw them just as I was about to leave the Flashes. Rubbish shots but only got a sight of them flying away. looked to be about Starling size, white patch in front of wing.

Any ideas?

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB4549web.jpg
    _ROB4549web.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 111
  • _ROB4547web.jpg
    _ROB4547web.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 90
Another mystery bird, well a mystery to me anyway. Saw them just as I was about to leave the Flashes. Rubbish shots but only got a sight of them flying away. looked to be about Starling size, white patch in front of wing.

Any ideas?

Rob

Hi Rob
the 1st pic looks like starlings from shape, with possibly a bit of pale in the wing that was probably over emphasised in sunlight.
I am assuming the birds in pic 2 are different especially the left bird that looks longer winged, possibly a fieldfare.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back