• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (2 Viewers)

Chongming & Hengsha - 15th November

Yesterday, me and Kevin went to Chongming to check out the hooded boys. We did complete the mission successfully. 50+ Hooded Cranes have arrived to spend their winter in Shanghai. Other highlights were 50+ Northern Lapwings and a single juvenile Common Starling. The sorry story begins now, several km's of reed beds along the east coast of Dongtan has been nuked, we saw more dump trucks than the Eurasian Tree sparrow.
So, we returned to Hengsha in the afternoon. Luckily, the marshes are still intact and the most commonest duck we saw were "Falcated Ducks". 2000+ Falcated Ducks has cheered up the mood.

if only one Lapland Bunting would keep coming just a little further south . . . there's a very nice Roundabout that would offer it the warmest of welcomes!

Cheers
Mike

if only one Lapland Bunting would keep coming just a little further south . . . there's a very nice Roundabout that would offer it the warmest of welcomes!

Cheers
Mike

before that one bird did reach Qiandao Lake,southwest of Hangzhou and became the first record for Zhejiang Province.
It's quite regular in northern Jiangsu,in small or big flocks.And hoping to find one or two Snow Bunting this winter in northern Jiangsu:)

The day gets Weirder in Shanghai

One Temminck's Cormorant in Hengsha, and a long awaited Smew for patch tick followed by visit from two young "Monks" in Chongming. When we were thinking how weirder the day could get, a Cattle Egret drops dead right infront of us (No Kidding).

Attachments

• Vulture,Cinereous_003.jpg
    Vulture,Cinereous_003.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 85
One Temminck's Cormorant in Hengsha, and a long awaited Smew for patch tick followed by visit from two young "Monks" in Chongming. When we were thinking how weirder the day could get, a Cattle Egret drops dead right infront of us (No Kidding).

Never mind that! Shouldn't you be Janking away in Beijing...?

Interesting interspecies interaction

I was wandering in a lightly wooded area of campus and watched two Sooty Bulbuls chasing a male Daurian Redstart. I was really focused on trying to figure out the bulbuls, so wasn't paying as much attention to the chase, but I began to notice that everywhere the redstart went, the bulbuls went after and landed nearby and then got a bit closer. Then the redstart would take off. I was interupted and so only saw this happen 3 times.

I didn't think that this was a territory that the bulbuls regularly defend (always a variety of birds in this area). Is there any other possible explanation for the action?

during SW Guangdong trip, we found an adult Brown-headed Gull at The SE tip of Donghai Island which appears to be a second record for the province and a 1stW Little Gull and a site named Houpo east of the Fucheng Estuary which is a first record for Guangdong. Of Interest was also a 1stW Kamchatka Gull as well as 4 Greater Crested Tern which are very rare in Winter.

The Winter Cuckoo

Saturday at Nanhui produced relatively little in terms of grebes or divers, but some 200+ Common Shelducks out on the far flats provided some consolation, and the winter morning was brightened up by the bright rufous wings of a Lesser Coucal- a juvenile, no less, swooping about on the grassy side of the seawall. What this summer bird was doing here in frigid January is anyone's guess...possibly a straggler that never flew south for warmer parts?

China - Bunting i.d. help needed.

Am seeking an i.d. on the pictured juvenile bunting, found north of Beijing near the Great Wall at Huanghua Cheng in early July. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Giovanni

Attachments

• DSC_8660.jpg
    DSC_8660.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 61
Am seeking an i.d. on the pictured juvenile bunting, found north of Beijing near the Great Wall at Huanghua Cheng in early July. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Giovanni

I would tentatively think that it might be a Lapland Bunting juv. (Calcarius lapponicus) - aka Lapland Longspur. Looks a lot like one of the pics in Tom Beeke's Birds of Dalian. I would run it by the ID forum though if it were me.

Hi Giovanni,
It's either a juvenile Meadow Bunting or Godlewski's Bunting and I would lean towards Meadow Bunting due to the lack of colouration on the breast/belly. Lapland Bunting (Lapland Longspur) is an Arctic breeder and is a winter visitor to Beijing.
You could try the Oriental Bird Images website - www.orientalbirdimages.org - to compare photos of the two species.
Best wishes, Terry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back