• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (1 Viewer)

That Pechora is magnificent Dev!

Looking for one of these today without success.

Cheers
Mike

I''m sure one will turn up in the Roundabout, Mike. When you have the little curlew in your patch, Pechora is not a difficult one.

Note the braces on the Pech Devster...excellent field mark ;0)

Indeed McM, the white braces were spot on, that i immediately figured it's a Pechora.

One of the best, if not THE best, photos of Pechora Pipit I have seen..! Congratulations, Dev.

Thanks Terry. China Birdnet photographers must have better shots than mine.

Killing us with that 400/2.8 Dev ! Wonderful shots.

Glad that i consulted with you before taking the bullet. 8-P

Amazing shot of the pechora. That pic should be in a field guide.

Thanks for the recommendation Jeff. :king:

Hi Terry
Xinjiang is one of my favorite places for birding and travel. I love the birds and people there,and of course I hate the terrorists.
In early May in Northern Xinjiang many birds havent arrived yet.Late May to early June u'll see different birds.

still a lot of migrants passing Shanghai and Rudong. In Rudong recently many Sandling and Red-necked Stint are from South Australia.

Yesterday in Rudong quite a few Middendorf's Warblers and I heard the song for the first time in my life.
Many Black Drongo,Cattle Egret and Red Turtle Dove were in visible migration.

the day before yesterday 10 Chestnut-eared Buntings ,and a few Amur Falcons chasing insects as there were many many many dragonflies and butterflies.................

Yesterday afternoon went to Hengsha Island,Shanghai to twitch a Black-faced Spoonbill S21 with satellite transmitter,together with the other 8 birds(all of the 9 birds are imm).It arrived on 2 June and stayed there.

Birds in Changchun?

Hi all,

No observations yet, but letting you know that there should be some from a new post in China. In a few days, we'll be moving to Changchun. Very excited to be getting back to China - friends, food, and of course birds. I've had a great year plus to expand my North American bird knowledge. Hopefully that will enhance my Chinese birding knowledge, thought I'm afraid it will take time to get up to speed on Chinese birds again (especially songs and calls).

Of course, I won't be in quite the hotspot I was in before, but all the waders won't be giving me conniptions up in Changchun, and I am hoping for a visit to Beidaihe during later migration - we'll see if it works. First few weeks will be a blur, new apt. new job etc. but I hope to see something.

Cheers all!

on 20 Aug there were 200+ NG in Rudong,with one banded in souther Thailand and one probably in Indonesia.

reply on the Thai NG
Since we were last in contact we have so far added only one more flagged Nordmanns flagged, making three in all and that bird was flagged with rectangular flags on the right tibia. IT was caught at Laem Phak Bia in the Thai Gulf near Phetchaburi, by us last March.So your bird was undoubtedly one of the first two (left leg flagged, with cut triangular flags) from Ko Libong on the Andaman (West) Coast that were cannon-netted by DNP.

Why Beijing-ren should have all the fun?

I returned to Hengsha twice in five days jus to see the massive no of Great Knots. Despite the splashing thunderstorms this morning, Waders(Little Curlew, Oriental Pratincoles n Great Knots) dominated the day with flycatchers(Grey-sided, Yellow-rumped, Asian Brown), Robins (Sib-Blue) n Cuckoo's showing up briefly but a monster showed up at the end blowing up everything since the morning and definitely initialized the Autumn migration. A bird which i never imagined would be in my Shanghai list.

The Miyun fever has hit Shanghai - " Lesser Frigatebird".

Attachments

• Frigatebird,Lesser_001-2.jpg
    Frigatebird,Lesser_001-2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back