• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn Owls in North East Scotland (1 Viewer)

lapwing1

Are there Barn Owls in the N.E of Scotland? Lastnight whilst sitting in our lounge and watching out of the window (we like to watch for the bats), an owl appeared in flight from over a hedge across the lane towards our front garden, over our hedge and then flew round the side of our house into our back garden, we got such a good view of it as it flew straight in our direction towards the lounge windows. Although it only lasted a few seconds it looked like a barn owl, very pale feathering and light face in the darkening light or could it be that we mistook it for a short eared owl due to the light conditions? Definetly wasn't a tawny. I was curious as to whether there have been sightings of Barn Owls in Aberdeenshire. Can anyone help with info? Thanks.

Yes, barn owls are found in north east Scotland and seem to be increasing. They aren't particularly common anywhere but they are widely spread throughout the north-east coastal plain and even up Deeside as far as Ballater.

I would imagine that the milder winters in recent years have allowed this population expansion.

So, if it looked like a barn owl, it probably was! A good sighting.

Thanks Capercaillie, it was a very unexpected but pleasant sighting! I was hoping I wasn't hallucinating! That has made my day.

They've even reached as far north as Caithness, been there regularly since the mid to late 80's and are increasing!

nirofo.

Thanks Nirofo, along with you and Capercaillie you have given me great info, always had an interest in birds but have only been able to become more serious over the last two years (being an at home mum with other responsibilities...horses :brains: ) it was a truly beautiful bird to see and not being an expert and consulting my books I was not sure but now I know it was indeed a Barn Owl and lovely too, Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back