• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sawfly ID request, Sussex Uk (1 Viewer)

Jan-Paul Charteris

Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast
Any chance this can be identified from the photos? Any help would be appreciated :t:

Attachments

• IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 33
I reckon I've ID'd this as Solomon's Seal Sawfly. Not sure if there are any similar species though

Hmm, i am wondering what leads you to this? If by similar species you mean "black sawflies" then there are dozens. Phymatocera aterrima is a spring species, when did you take photo?

If you have shots that show antennae such that you can make out segments and clear shot of wing venation then should be able to get it to genus.

From these photos cannot see any segmentation of flagella suggesting Arge.

just noticed tip of abdomen in first photo, get a clear shot of that and I think species id should be easy.

Last edited:
Hmm, i am wondering what leads you to this? If by similar species you mean "black sawflies" then there are dozens. Phymatocera aterrima is a spring species, when did you take photo?

If you have shots that show antennae such that you can make out segments and clear shot of wing venation then should be able to get it to genus.

From these photos cannot see any segmentation of flagella suggesting Arge.

just noticed tip of abdomen in first photo, get a clear shot of that and I think species id should be easy.

Hi Ficedula, thanks for replying. Someone had just suggested on an insect group that it reminded them of Solomon's Seal Sawfly that they had seen in their garden, and when I googled it I could see similarities (but guessed it was probably unlikely to be so simple!).

I took the photos this week, so from what you say of the timing it sounds like Phymatocera aterrima is unlikely then.

I've attached one more shot which shows some of the abdomen tip and the antennae, but I doubt the resolution of the photo is going to help much. I haven't (yet) got a proper macro lens unfortunately

Attachments

• IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 27
If there is any Berberis nearby it'll be in a neighbours garden. None in mine. I agree the photo you linked is very similar though and can see what you mean about the difference in antennae structure from Phymatocera aterrima. I'll leave it as sawfly sp. for now. Do you think the genus is safely argedae though?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back