• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Killer Wasp (1 Viewer)

wolfphotos

Okay the header was just to grab your attention but the wasp in the image below was the only other visible occupant of the tower hide at Strumpshaw last week and it looked like it meant business. I have tried to look it up on-line but with no success so I thought I would turn to the guys on here as you are always so helpful with bird I.D. The insect was about 2 1/2" long and I have never seen one before. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• bird_forum1361.jpg
    bird_forum1361.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 132
Okay the header was just to grab your attention but the wasp in the image below was the only other visible occupant of the tower hide at Strumpshaw last week and it looked like it meant business. I have tried to look it up on-line but with no success so I thought I would turn to the guys on here as you are always so helpful with bird I.D. The insect was about 2 1/2" long and I have never seen one before. Thanks in advance.

It could be the Spider-hunting Wasp Episyron rufipes, because of the
distinctive colour of the legs.
Best
David

It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL, that's what it is :t: Must have been a thrill to see it :king:

I remember seeing my first Giant Wood Wasp when I stayed with a friend in July 1992 in Kent :eek!: Wow!!!! Awesome insect :t:

Ichneumonidae. Salticus might be right, it is certainly reminicent of a pimpiline, but i think it is not. I would have to stick with Ichneumonidae in absence of specimen and a few hours at microscope with keys.

Could be Pimpla but could also be Diadegma or Lissonota, as you need to see the detail of the hind tibia pattern to be sure - I've been trying to ID these dammed things for ages now. No surprise then that some professional entomologists say that these are virtually undoable without a specimen under the microscope to examine.

back at microscope now, having examined specimens, it does seem that Pimpla is a good fit, but really need specimen to rule out similar genera.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back