• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new to Shanghai (1 Viewer)

Tombird

Hello to Shanghai
I, birder from germany with some experience in birdringing have newly arrived to Shanghai without any experience in birding in Asia. I am glad for any kind of help and information. I am living in Putuo and working in a Chinese school, so following strict national holiday/weekend schemes.
During national holiday I visited Chengfang Park, Paotaiwan, Botanical garden, century Park. Though I was there at different times, there were always MANY people. Is it always like this or due to the holidays ? As I dont have a car, which other places could I reach with public transport and taxi ?
And then I had some problems with the shrikes. Some of them didnt quite look like the pictures in Brazils guide (i think I saw brown shrike or longtailed at several occasions). Are they really a little bit more divers than the pictures show ?
So if there is anyone who d like to help me with information on places, times, transport, groups to join and so on I d really be glad.
By, Tom

OBI plus

http://orientalbirdimages.org/

Above is the link to this fantastic resource, Tom.

"Birding South-east China" by Tim Woodward might be a book you'd want for those travels.

"Shrikes and Bush-Shrikes" Tony Harris & Kim Franklin for those mentioned ID probs.

Good luck with the more local arrangements- you should be OK, living in such a large city. I envy your relocation.

Even not in holidays u still meet a lot of humans in parks in Shanghai,even in suburb Shanghai eg. Chongming Island.
It's quite late for Brown Shrike and some wintering shrikes are passing eg. Bull-headed and Chinese Grey.
Dont rely on pics in Brazil's book too much.

Hot spots in recent years include Binhai.U take a bus from Longyang Subway to terminal Lingang New City.
From there u take a taxi to the seawall and lake in Binhai.Also u could transfer on another bus to Lesser Yangshan Island,and then by ferries to many other islands.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back