• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 vs 8x32 (1 Viewer)

jg1418

I understand this is a tough question to ask and that many points may be needed to come up with a answer, but

If you had the need for just one all around bino, which would you chose out of the two listed below. I have decided on one or the other but can't pick a winner.

Lecia 10x42 Ultravid
or
Swarovski 8x32 EL

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John

Hi John, I will answer your question with a question.;) I noticed you sold a Leica 8x32 BN not that long ago. What was it you didn't like about the Leica? The focuser? Where you plan to use this binocular is it pretty thick area or more open? I never tried the Leica 10 so can not answer that, but I have tried the Swarovski 8x32 EL and liked it a lot. I have a Swaro 8x30 SLC neu I just got for Christmas and like it a lot, I would of sooner bought the 8x32 EL but I am cheap and my wife thinks I have enough binoculars.;) The 8x32/8x30 have a lot going for them, light wt. etc.

Do you have a vendor close by that you can try both of these binoculars?

Regards,Steve

Last edited:
John,

I think you're going to receive questions about why those are your choices.

Usually people ask about a choice between two 8xs or two 10xs, but choosing between a full sized 10x and a midsized 8x is a mixed bag that suggests that you have varied needs that sometimes require extra magnification (such a shorebirds) and other times requires lower power, lighter, more compact bins (hiking, nature trails).

To quote from the canon of Ingraham Philosophy of Birding: In theory, an exceptional 32mm glass should show all of the detail the human eye is capable of seeing. In practice, and hand-held, 32mm glasses equal the performance of larger glasses in all but the most extreme conditions. When you factor in the ease of carrying and using the smaller glass, 32mm binoculars begin to make a lot of sense.

Ingraham's philosophy would suggest going for the 8x32 EL.

However, if your needs are such that you sometimes prefer a 10x bin and at others prefer a midsized 8x, why not "split the difference" and consider a Swaro 8.5x42 EL?

Hand held, you will get around the same resolution as the 10x42 Ultravid, if not better, due to less shakes, and you will gain a larger FOV, larger exit pupil, less CA (unless you meant to write Ultravid HD), and possibly better ergonomics, depending on your preferences.

With the new Swarovision EL out now, you will probably find some good buys on the previous model (check SWFA, Camerland, and eBay camera and optics Stores).

A better question to ask might be, which should I buy, an 8.5x42 EL or an 8x32 EL?

Steve,

Sometimes we make mistakes and selling that leica 8x32 BN was at the top of my list for mistakes........loved it. The 8x32 BN in pristine condition at a reasonable price is very hard to find which is why I picked the EL as many deals seem to be out from the introduction of the swarovision.

Brock,

I do a ton of bowhunting and like compact but not to small binos. The swaro 8.5 x42 bino is the best bino to look through but are a little to big and long for my needs. That is why I picked the Leica ultravid and the 32 EL. In your opinion, how does the 32 EL compare to the 8.5 x 42.................thanks.

Hello John - Lots of us (at least you and I) really like the little 8x32's and the Trinovid is a dandy but except for size I preferred the EL 8x32 and also concur the 8.5x42 EL was probably the best bin I have used. But....... As has been pointed it the two your looking at are so much different it's tough. IF I HAD to choose ONE of the two it would be the 8x32. In real life you just don't see much if any more detail with a 10x than an 8x.

Dave

I don't think you would regret buying the 8x32 one bit! I'm finding I can't get along with 10x anymore! I don't consider going with an 8x32 is a compromise any longer. Specially with a quality glass like the EL you give up little in the way of performance. The only time it will make a difference it's probably to late to be hunting anyways! And in respect to the 8x versus 10x, 32mm vs 42mm I think it becomes a wash anyways! Bryce...

Hi John

Both are fine bins. I know there is a trend to lower powered bins these days - indeed I have 2 top 8x32's myself (Nikon 8x32se and HGL). However if I had to choose between your choices now it would be the Leica as overall I think it is a better glass and will show more detail even hand held than the Swaro 8x.

As an aside the flare performance of the swaro 10x32 is the worst Ive encountered so far with a low sun though I have not checked it with the 8x32.

Nev

I don't have experience of the differences of these particular bins but if I had this choice I'd go for the 8x32s. That's my favourite format. Smaller, lighter, easier to hold steady, larger depth of focus. 8x32s generally have enough lightgathering power for all but the dimmest of dwan or dusk conditions.

As an aside the flare performance of the swaro 10x32 is the worst Ive encountered so far with a low sun though I have not checked it with the 8x32.

Nev

Nev

You must be a lucky bloke if the worst flair you have seen was in a pair of £1200 Alpha's! You ought to try some of the "cheaper" brands I have tried........now they have flare!!

Paul

Can only answer for the format. I often use both the same day. But if I travel, and bring just one pair, it is 8x32. Mine is a Pentax SP.

But ask another difficult question: What is the most practical 8x32 around? There are now many brands.

Last edited:
For the record; I currently use the Leica 10x42 HD, but my first two pairs of bins were both 8x30s.

Personally, I think 10x42 is the best all-round binocular size; the idea with optics is to bring the birds closer, so you use as much magnification as is practical, right? 10x is as far as you can go before shake really becomes a factor [though I acknowledge this varies with individuals]. You want as big an objective as you can, and 42 [or so] is again as much as most bin designs can allow before they get really heavy. [[One exception was a pair of old Zeiss 7x50-somethings I tried once, which were so perfectly balanced you didn't feel the weight at all - oh how I wish I'd had the money for them....]].

On a more use-based argument; what do you want to use them for? If you have any amount of longer-ranged stuff, you'll appreciate the reach of 10x. if you live in a huge forest and never bird on open ground / look at waterbirds / seawatch etc, then the lighter 8x32s make sense [[have you tried the Leica 8x32HD and Zeiss 8x32 FL, by the way?]]. Also, if you're going to be doing long hikes, lighter bins make for a happier neck [unless you use a harness]

Finally - have you tried them out? If not, you might find that one pair calls to you - the view, the fit in your hands. Frequently the bins themselves make the choice, regardless of what careful research and considered opinion say [I'm not claiming this is considered opinion, by the way ;) ]

Hello John - Lots of us (at least you and I) really like the little 8x32's and the Trinovid is a dandy but except for size I preferred the EL 8x32 and also concur the 8.5x42 EL was probably the best bin I have used. But....... As has been pointed it the two your looking at are so much different it's tough. IF I HAD to choose ONE of the two it would be the 8x32. In real life you just don't see much if any more detail with a 10x than an 8x.

Dave

Hi John,

I just spoke to Dennis the other day and he told me you were pondering another purchase. I have looked through his 8x32 ELs and I love them. They are the only 8x32 I would consider trading my SE for. They are very different from the 8x32BNs which I also liked.

What I loved about the little BNs was that fist full of robust bino power in my hand. The ELs are much different but ergonomically pleasing none the less. The 8x32 ELs with the open barrel are longer, but slim, and a bit lighter than the BNs, I like the way my hand wraps around the barrel. View wise, the ELs looked brighter in low light to my eye, and somehow the view seemed larger, I don't know why. The BNs were also a bit finickier in eye placement, where the Swaro bins were less fussy in that regard. That just might be me as I seem to have that same trouble with the Ultravids as well. Contrast might go slightly to the Leica's but the Swaros are plenty sharp and overall great.
Between the two you ask about, I would pick the 8x32s.

I hope that helps,

John

I looked at x32 vs x42 bins some years back and chose my 10x42 (Leica BN - not sure about the letters) because I did more open land birding than forest (explaining the 10x) and was living in an area most often covered by dark clouds (explaining the x42). If I was doing most of my birding in areas with lots of sun, the x32 bins probably would have been my choice. If being mostly in forest, 8x probably would have won.

Niels

I gave up 10xSE's for the 32 format, for many reasons, but the alpha 32 roof's won in every category for me, no question, even a few years later. Each choice has it's merits. I always wanted Swaros, but chose Zeiss first in the 10x and then Leica HD's in the 8x32 format when comparing. They have to fit you. I have HG's in 8x, too, and quite honestly 90% of the time they are everything a birder would ever want. Sometimes the CA really interferes. I would never opt for full size again, and I bird everything from forest to pelagic and hawkwatch, and some people say just the opposite in the field and here. The only other thing that intrigues me now are stabilized glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back