• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reasons for 8x (or 8.5x) against 10x (1 Viewer)

I've done some grip experimenting and found that the "thumbs up" grip with my left hand and the "pincer" grip with my right gives optimal stability, and at the same time makes focusing easy (I'm right handed). But that's my hands and my bino! :)

You mean having the thumbs along the length axis of the tubes, not across (as the fingers are).

Wow, that's so much better!

Thanks! :king:

Hmmm, that's an new version.

See this thread (with photos).

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=145138

Instead of the thumbs under the barrel they go up beside the eyepieces. It's a bit more natural for a porro. A lot of the bin shake comes from the thumb rather than the arms.

Ok, I misunderstood the "thumbs up" grip. I thought of it as doing the thumb up :)t:) when holding the binoculars (then tilting it to the horizontal plane of course, since watching your feet gets boring after a while). |:D| But my version works really swell (with a roof at least) for me.

Do you use the military (thumbs up) grip, Sancho?
Are you kidding? The thumb indents on my new swaros must have cost me 200 euro, I´m not going to let them go to waste!!!;)

Seriously, I took your advice today while watching a Pied-Billed Grebe in Co. Limerick....it works wonderfully! (The thumbs-up grip, I mean, not the Grebe. Although that works wonderfully too.) Many thanks!

I'm surprised at the idea that you Sancho, or any others that have been around these here parts for awhile, have not known of, let alone been using some form of the thumbs up grip.

The idea of spending $2k+ on the latest hot-rod bins without the gains derived from this grip...
I don't think it's overstated to say that the improvement in the view both in stray light control and therefore contrast, and steadiness and comfort, by themselves easily exceed any gains from going from say Bushnell Legends to Swarovision! I thought people knew.

Last edited:
I'm smiling here at the idea that you Sancho, or any others that have been around these here parts for awhile, have not known of, let alone been using some form of the thumbs up grip.
You almost have me sussed, Kevin, but underestimate my stupidity. I´ve tried the thumbs-up grip when playing binocular-comparison, but not much in the field. Today, when watching one of your beautiful North American Grebes at a really atmospheric site in SW Ireland, I tried it for real on the basis of your post, and I found it reduced the "pa-dump" hearbeat-factor considerably. So...does this mean that a lot of the shake comes from an artery in the base of the thumb?

No, no my friend. I didn't mean it as a slight. It was more in the vein of things we take for granted.

I'm not sure about the artery thing but figure the increased steadiness comes from imparting less muscle tension. Done right, the bins weight should be carried by one's palms, with the forearms nearly vertical. The thumbs can be adjusted to block light entering from the sides, and one's index fingers can be used for fine tuning eye relief.

*note that in post #45 I changed smiling to surprised

This thread goes into it a little more... http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=134090

Last edited:
No, no my friend. I didn't mean it as a slight. It was more in the vein of things we take for granted.
Hey, Kevin, no slight interpreted! I´m always grateful for advice. I´m also on a buzz because I twitched a Pied-Billed Grebe today and it was one beautiful little bird.:t:

Hey, Kevin, no slight interpreted! I´m always grateful for advice. I´m also on a buzz because I twitched a Pied-Billed Grebe today and it was one beautiful little bird.:t:

Congratulations on the grebe, Sancho!

I was stupid enough not to twitch the PBGrebe at Akersloot years ago.
I'll have to wait now and hope it's not a blocker.

Best regards,

Ronald

Since I don't need it so much for birding, I'm glad that it's only my brain (and not my thumbs or bino) that's damaged! :D

I have also tried a version of the "thumbs up" closer to the original, where I wrap the thumb around the strap attachment. Works great mixed with my more innovative approach.

Anyway, what works must be right! :t:

Last edited:
A couple of points. I concur with Sancho on the Nikon 10x35. It does provide a wonderful view that is more comfortable (for me) than my other 10 power models.
Now on the subject of field steadiness with binoculars, assuming no artificial support (tripods, etc.) is available, the baseball cap hold helps. (This does not work for the knuckleheads who wear their caps backwards) A tight fitting baseball cap will help with steadiness, particularly with porro binoculars. After the binocular is focused. place your thumbs against and under your cheek bones. Then press the top of the cap brim down with your fore fingers on your binocular. This creates a four point hold that works standing or sitting, The hat does distribute some of the weight of your arms, and if you bring your elbows against your chest or sides, you will find a steadier view.

John

Not for me either.
Works for me! Shows a great photo of a Wrac or a Wren or whatever those wartime women on the Home Front were called, looking through a huge pair of binos, maybe 80 or 90mm, using the military grip....which I now realise, thanks to the photo, I was doing wrong!

Try the "thumbs back" grip. Cup the objective barrels in your palms, extend the thumbs back and place them against the high point of the cheekbone, just under the eye socket. Place the index fingers up so they make an "L" with the thumb. The index fingers go against wherever they fit against your forehead. You can wag one up and down to focus or use the middle digit for the focus wheel. Steadiest view from handheld I know of. Three additional points of contact with your skeletal frame at least. Four if you adapt to using both index fingers. You can also grasp he barrel with one thumb, usually the one on the opposite side you use the index finger for primary focus. Couple of variations. Additionally the index finger can be used to grasp over the edge of the bill of a baseball cap, should one be wearing one. Gives big hands more room on smaller glass as well. This might be what Charley bird was mentioning, but his link doesn't work for me either.

Edit: Except for the index finger, it sounds a lot like John Dracon's post. I just missed seeing it earlier. I learned this in college in Ornithology class.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back