• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disease Alert in UK - Stop feeding now!! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuckoo-shrike

I have it on good authority that an epidemic is spreading rapidly through finches in the UK, resulting in tens of thousands of deaths. Garden feeding stations are heavily implicated in the transmission of the disease and people should stop feeding immediately and thoroughly disinfect or remove all feeders, drinking and bathing bowls.

Sadly, politics prevent me naming the source of this information.

Aquila said:
Yes, deadly serious.

Any chance of you getting this thread moved to the News, Views & Reporting forum so more people can see it and keep in touch with whats going on. More information is obviously needed, and a lot of people might be concerned about following the advice until they're better informed as to what is going on. I have a young family of greenfinches which I'm concerned will be especially hard hit if I remove all the water and feeders suddenly from the garden. If we need to act on this then we must, but at least it will be an informed decision.

(btw: are your sources DEFRA by any chance)

deborah4 said:
More information is obviously needed, and a lot of people might be concerned about following the advice until they're better informed as to what is going on.

(btw: are your sources DEFRA by any chance)

Absolutely, rumours, right or wrong will spread and we want to do the right thing without being alarmist. So at the risk of being politically incorrect can someone tell what these "deadly risks" are.

I don't know if the thread needs moving Deborah: it's had 170 views already.
Joanne, I've already pointed out the risks. It's the source of the information that I'm not at liberty to divulge.
All I know is that it's a strain of disease that was first identified last year, it's extremely virulent and it has already killed many thousands of Chaffinches, Greenfinches and even Siskins in the UK.
If you must continue feeding then you must be absolutely scrupulous about hygiene. But this is hardly a time of year when there are natural food shortages.

Aquila said:
I have it on good authority that an epidemic is spreading rapidly through finches in the UK, resulting in tens of thousands of deaths. Garden feeding stations are heavily implicated in the transmission of the disease and people should stop feeding immediately and thoroughly disinfect or remove all feeders, drinking and bathing bowls.

Sadly, politics prevent me naming the source of this information.

Are we talking about Trichomonas, which during the hot summer weather in the UK, appears to have spread from Pigeons and Doves, where it is known as canker, to finches?

I am puzzled as to why it is all so 'hush hush'.

Why can't the source be named?: it's unlikely to be MI5 (or at least, I would imagine not.)

"I have it on "good authority"?? that an epidemic is spreading rapidly through finches in the UK, resulting in tens of thousands of deaths. Garden feeding stations are heavily implicated in the transmission of the disease and people should stop feeding immediately and thoroughly disinfect or remove all feeders, drinking and bathing bowls.

Sadly, politics prevent me naming the source of this information."

What and where is the source of this?? It's certainly not DEFRA, although they are concerned that there name has been used in connection with this post, and NOT denied as the source.
Someone reading old literature perhaps, and overreacting.
If you wish something to read, here you have it from DEFRA

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/vla/science/documents/science-end-oie05.pdf
and especially
http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/vla/science/documents/science-end-survrep-qtlyw0106.pdf

I love hype!!

Regards

Malky

baillieswells said:
Are we talking about Trichomonas, which during the hot summer weather in the UK, appears to have spread from Pigeons and Doves, where it is known as canker, to finches?
I'm sorry, but I don't have any further details on which disease is involved.

alcedo.atthis said:
What and where is the source of this?? It's certainly not DEFRA, although they are concerned that there name has been used in connection with this post, and NOT denied as the source.
Someone reading old literature perhaps, and overreacting.
If you wish something to read, here you have it from DEFRA

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/vla/science/documents/science-end-oie05.pdf
and especially
http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/vla/science/documents/science-end-survrep-qtlyw0106.pdf

I love hype!!

Regards

Malky
The source is not DEFRA. It is not from old literature and is no over-reaction. The publications you quote relate to reports up to May this year. The crisis is current and ongoing.
I really am sorry about the cloak and dagger stuff but, as I said, there are politics involved. The whole thing stinks quite frankly.

Aquila said:
I'm sorry, but I don't have any further details on which disease is involved.

All this 'cloak and dagger' stuff is absurd, either the facts should be produced, or people should keep their mouths shut.

i know earlier this year members of a local birdclub were reporting sick or dead greenfinch in and around gardens

baillieswells said:
All this 'cloak and dagger' stuff is absurd, either the facts should be produced, or people should keep their mouths shut.
Steady on there, no need to shoot the messenger !

baillieswells said:
Shame you won't trust me on this.
I won't post any more on this thread, but I hope that by raising awareness, a few birds may have been saved.
All may be revealed in due course.

Aquila said:
Shame you won't trust me on this.
I won't post any more on this thread, but I hope that by raising awareness, a few birds may have been saved.
All may be revealed in due course.

Hi Andy

Thank you for your information Andy. I don't think people want to stop feeding their beloved birds unless absolutely, officially told not to!!! I am sure ALL people reading this will be 'scrupulously' cleaning their feeders and ponds, as you should do anyway, rather than removing everything. Thank you for informing us, meanwhile we will wait to hear officially.

Best Wishes Penny

P.S. I always scrub out my ponds quite simply with a wire brush and clean water. But my feeders I immerse and clean with hot water and washing up liquid in a bucket, any better suggestions? Should I be using a disinfectant of some kind eg bleach? I have never used anything more than washing up liquid as I don't like using chemicals uneccessarily. Any correct cleaning suggestions I am sure will be helpful to many people.

alcedo.atthis said:
"Shame you won't trust me on this.
All may be revealed in due course."

Well, here's up to 21st August, next report 11th September, 8 days away, wow!! I cannot wait.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/notifiable/disease/ai/wildbirds/survey-results.htm

When is the next episode of Harry Potter due??

Regards

Malky
Clever use of sarcasm Malky, but you may end up with a large amount of egg on your face.
Sorry, just had to respond...

Penny Clarke said:
Hi Andy

Should I be using a disinfectant of some kind eg bleach? I have never used anything more than washing up liquid as I don't like using chemicals uneccessarily. Any correct cleaning suggestions I am sure will be helpful to many people.
I've seen Jeyes fluid recommended Penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back