• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sweet SPOT/EDGE sharpness: Ultravid HD 7x42 vs. Fl &x42 (1 Viewer)

308CAL

Sweet SPOT/EDGE sharpness: Ultravid HD 7x42 vs. Fl 7x42

I love large wide sweet spots...

Since there are demo versions of both of these far cheaper than what i can pay for new swaros and EDG's (both of which probably are better in this regard), I was curious which of these 2 have the sharpest image across the whole picture. A few years back I had some 8x42 FL's and there was a noticeable drop off in sharpness towards the periphery. I dont see this in swarovski 7x42 or 8.5x42 but I want ot update/upgrade to an "HD" bino..

Plus boh of these should be brighter than than the older swaros...

FOr those of who who have looked through both, which of these 2 in the subject line is the winner?

Last edited:
Don't forget FOV ... the Zeiss 8.6° FOV is rather larger than the Leica 8.0° FOV. You'd expect the Leica to have better "edge" sharpness but that's not comparing Apple with Apples as the edge comes quicker in the Leica.

One of the reason for going with the Zeiss over the others (both the ones you mention and Meopta) is the larger FOV.

But if you really didn't like the 8x42 FL I suspect you won't like the 7x42 FL either as they're similar in image style.

Personally I find the Zeiss design style of very little field curvature traded off again increased astigmatism bugs me less than the other way around. Still I do like flat field with low astigmatism at the edge.

You would get that flat field from the 7x42 EDG which may see a discounting in the Fall if they introduce the slightly newer model and sell of the old ones. The current one has a Nikon D3000 DSLR freebie if you send in the rebate for it.

THANKS I appreciate it. I loved the FL 8x42 image although sometimes i would notice that lack of edge sharpness. it woas the only binocular that i felt like was so clear and crisp that I wasnt looking through glass

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back