• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good, but inexpensive, lightweight binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Susantm

I am getting back into birdwatching after not doing much for many years. I am looking for a pair of binoculars that are small and lightweight, have good eye relief (I wear glasses), and don't cost much (under $200, preferably), but still work well. I have been reading up on the subject, but there seem to be so many options that I am having trouble narrowing it down. There aren't any places close by that carry much of a selection, so I will probably order online. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the help!

I know how you feel. There will be some overwhelming choices. However, if you follow the binocular forums here, there are decidedly finite options and you will do fine with your budget.

Others will weigh in with specific model recommendations which is great. However, I'd also encourage you to go to a local sporting goods store where there will be a significant selection if you have one near. Cabela's and Bass Pro are my favorites. The reason I say this is that it's important to try several out to get an idea. It takes quite a bit of experience to determine preferences, etc, but why not try out a bunch of options. Sometimes they can have insane closeouts as well but that would be a long shot.

OR means rain, rain, rain. So I'd prefer something that was bright in dim light and waterproof. The ultimate in waterproof is roof prism. There is another type which is called porro prism (the "old fashioned" type that have the traditional look). Then there are compact options like reverse porro and compact roof prisms. All things being equal, an 8x42 roof prism would be a great option.

1. Porro - check out the Nikon Action EX (avoid the non-EX like the plague).
2. Roof - if can increase budg a bit or shop around, check out Bushnell Legend HD 8x42 . There are quite a few others as well.
3. Compact - the Bausch and Lomb or Bushnell 7x26 Elites get good reviews but I don't know waterproofness off hand.

Best of luck.

Matt

I am getting back into birdwatching after not doing much for many years. I am looking for a pair of binoculars that are small and lightweight, have good eye relief (I wear glasses), and don't cost much (under $200, preferably), but still work well. I have been reading up on the subject, but there seem to be so many options that I am having trouble narrowing it down. There aren't any places close by that carry much of a selection, so I will probably order online. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the help!

Nikon Monarch 8x42mm. E-bay new for about $200.00.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am looking into all the suggestions. I hadn't considered the importance of it being waterproof, but that is a good suggestion--would definitely be an advantage here in Oregon. I am still debating on weight; I would like something under a pound, but don't want to give up quality in other ways. I just know I would take it with me more if it were lighter.
kristoffer, have you bought the Taiga yet? I have heard that one recommended a lot, and it is very lightweight.

No, I have not tried it yet but I will get back to you once I got it. My girlfriend finds her 8x42 Nikon Monarch to be too heavy during the summer since her jacket can´t take some weight of the strap. But she did not want to get a too small bin either since she finds eye placement difficult on 20 mm bins. Also she can sacrifice the waterproofness in exchange for smaller size and cheaper price. If it is rainy she can always take the Monarch.

Personally I find the 32mm format perfect (when in a 32 mm Zeiss FL atleast) but she finds a 32mm WP roof to be a bit too heavy.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am looking into all the suggestions. I hadn't considered the importance of it being waterproof, but that is a good suggestion--would definitely be an advantage here in Oregon. I am still debating on weight; I would like something under a pound, but don't want to give up quality in other ways. I just know I would take it with me more if it were lighter.
kristoffer, have you bought the Taiga yet? I have heard that one recommended a lot, and it is very lightweight.

I have been reading about the Bushnell 7x26 Elite E2, and it sounds pretty good--apparently excellent optics, 14.5 oz., good eye relief. I think I am starting to lean toward it, if I can find a good deal. Still considering, though... It isn't waterproof, but I'm not sure how important that is. I rarely go out birding in the rain anyway...

Susan, welcome to the Birdforum. I think some others have given you good advice on
some models that may fit your needs.
I would recommend taking your time here and get to a larger sporting goods store and
handle some of these to get a better feel for what you like.
Good, inexpensive and light weight do not always match up to an ideal pick.
Have fun deciding !!

Jerry

Susantm:

Your only a few of miles away from the old Sportsmen's Warehouse, that use to be on SE 82nd Avenue. South of SE Powell Blvd and north of the Walmart adjacent to SE 82nd Ave. Sportsmen's Warehouse went out of business in Portland, but that store was purchased by a Canadian Union and now has a new name? It was across the street (82nd) from the Old Joe's, which also went out of business. (This recession has been hard on sporting goods stores.) Any way, a year ago, when I was still living in Tualatin, OR. that store had the best selection of binoculars in Portland. Next best selection was maybe Fishermen's Warehouse in Oregon City - if they have not gone out of business?

You really should go look at binoculars to see what you like and what suits you best in your budget. Do not spend more than you can afford. You can get great full size binoculars for close to $200 - Zen-Ray ZRS 8x42 ($205) a bit bulky and a bit heavy. Also, the old Nikon Monarch 8x42 ATB is available on line for $200 to $235. Both great binoculars for the money. With the Monarch being a great handling full size bin.

It's especially important to try out compact binoculars to find out if they will be good for you. Bushnell Custom Compacts 7x26 (Elite 2) have an excellent reputation for their optics, but they do not have generous eye relief and their very small size can make them difficult to handle. Also they do not work for people with wide faces. Yosemite 6x30 and 8x30 also have good reputations for optics, but again they are very small and a bit delicute; I've never seen a store demo pair that was not defective. (Generally the focus mechanism.) So, it's really important to try out compact binoculars before you buy. Make sure they work for you, it does not matter what the salesman likes - get what you like and can afford.

bearclawthedonut

On Sunday I was outside but I didn't have any binoculars with me so I bought a $29 compact from an LL Bean. They are garbage, although I did I see some birds for the first time this year with them.

I would love to be able to go and compare some of the different binoculars in person, but I can't seem to find any place around here that carries the ones I want to see. I have been checking online and calling around. Why are the ones recommended online not the ones the local stores carry? But maybe I will have to settle for trying different sizes and styles in general and going from there. I do appreciate everyone's advice!

Internet is really the best store for you Susan. I have the same problem here in Sweden, the physical stores does not stock almost any of the brands and/or bins I want to try and buy. So I have over the years trusted the advices from the very experienced users here on BF and bought bins untried from internet stores, and I have always been happy with them. :)

I would love to be able to go and compare some of the different binoculars in person, but I can't seem to find any place around here that carries the ones I want to see. I have been checking online and calling around. Why are the ones recommended online not the ones the local stores carry? But maybe I will have to settle for trying different sizes and styles in general and going from there. I do appreciate everyone's advice!

Susantm:

Go. Look at binoculars similar to what you want. But go look. See for yourself the diferences between compacts (7x26), mid-compacts (8x28 to 10x33) and full size (8x40 to 10x44). Find out what magnification you are comfortable with, what eye relief you are comfortable with, what size is too big or too small for you. The only way you can do this is to go look at binoculars. So what, if a store does not have the brand/model your considering? You might find out that a compact binocular is not for you or you might confirm that a compact is what you want and need. Go look. What have you got to loose? Just make one rule, only buy what you can afford.

bearclawthedonut

I got out to a couple local stores that have a few bins. One place had the Monarch 8x42, which felt comfortable to hold, but too heavy for me. I tried a pocketable Nikon Sportstar 10x25, which was too light for the power. The one that felt the most comfortable and about the right weight was a Leupold Mesa 8x23, which weighs 13.2 oz. and is similar in size and shape to the Bushnell 7x26 Elite. (However, it did not have good eye relief.) I wasn't able to compare the optics that well in a store, especially as they were not all at the same store. At least I think I have decided that I don't want a full size or a pocketable. A nice compact would be ideal. (And I will be sure to stay within my budget. Fortunately, I received some birthday money recently, so I do have a little extra.)

Susan:
After reading your latest post, I thought I would ask if you wear glasses while viewing,
as that will make a difference in your choices. And if you are wanting the best view,
you really do need to go to at least a 30 or 32mm objective to get the best results.
You found the Leupold available in a shop, then try the Leup. Yosemite 8x30.

Do you have other optics, if so then this one may be your lightweight pick. These smaller
types will just not give you the bigger, brighter, and better view that most people would
desire. Just keep trying.

Jerry

Jerry, I do wear glasses while viewing. I am pretty much blind without them, so it would be too difficult to keep taking them off and putting them back on. My only other binoculars are the one I got as a 9 year old and a cheap 7x35 Bushnell I was given a few years back which never seems to give a clear picture, perhaps because the eye relief is so low or just because it's a cheap bin.

It seems like it just gets more confusing. I may need to get out and look again. REI isn't too far away, and it has a couple of the bins mentioned. I really appreciate all the help! I just need to decide how much power I need and what size I can feel comfortable with.

Thanks, everyone! I'm still open for suggestions and advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back