• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good, but inexpensive, lightweight binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Susantm:

I also wear eyeglasses, I do not have thick lenses, but I do have a bit of astigmatism in one eye. I've found that 16.5 mm of eye relief (ER) is the minimum that I can get by with, too bad for me. I recently tried a Minox HG 8x33, spectacular resolution but I could not live with only 15 mm of ER. If your glasses are thick, then you may need that much or more ER? The Bushnell Custom Classic 7x26 has around 16 mm of ER as I recall? The Leupold Yosemite 8x30 also has poor (to me) ER; the 6x30 Yosemite version has better ER; Fisherman's Warehouse in Oregon City use to carry both Yosemite's. I hesitate to recommend the Vortex Diamonback 8x28 (14 oz at $140) to you as you will never find one in a Portland area store, but that little binocular has 19 mm of ER. I find it (mine's actually a Hurricane an earlier name for the same binocular) comfortable and easy to use; although I use my Vortex Fury 8x28 much more often.

I think some very good points have been made in regard to objective lenses larger than 26 mm. The bigger the objective, then the more light is available for viewing. That is probably equally as important as exit pupil (EP), which is the objective diameter divided by the magnification. For 7x26 binoculars the EP = 26mm divided by 7x or 3.7 mm. When EP's get small it makes it more difficult to center your eyes in the EP, plus less light is delivered to your eyes. Thus, the binoculars become more difficult to use. Sometimes you can get use to a small EP. However, bigger objectives generally mean heavier binoculars along with more available light. If Nikon Monarch's feel too heavy for you, then it's understandable that you feel more comfortable with compacts. Unfortunately, most 8x32's weigh almost as much as the Monarchs and have poor ER.

Everything is a trade off with binoculars. To get binoculars that are right for you - you need to try them out for yourself. Keep looking. No need to rush into a decision. There are plenty of birds in the Portland area year round. Find a pair of Bushnell Custom Classic 7x26's and check out that ER for yourself. Stan Tekiela's Birds of Oregon is a great field guide, costs about $12.

bearclawthedonut

Thanks, bearclawthedonut. I think I do need to try a few more out. I know the Monarch had more than enough eye relief. I have been reading up on the different things to look for. I will try to find a place where someone actually knows something about binoculars. The places I went the clerks couldn't even tell me how much they weighed, so I wasn't able to get much help. I will look up the info ahead of time next time, so I know what I am comparing.

I'll look into that field guide. I have a couple of western field guides, but my only Oregon ones are by Harry Nehls. (I used to work with him many years ago.) I used to do a lot of birdwatching and knew a lot, even did a couple of breeding bird censuses while in college, but I have a lot of refreshing to do. And I hope to find a decent quality binocular to help.

Thanks so much to you and everyone for your help!

A trip to REI and another clerk who kept referring to the cheat sheet to figure out anything about the binoculars. I tried the Monarchs again, since so many recommended them. I think I could manage the weight, but both times I have tried them, I keep getting a shifting black shadow, especially on the right side. I tried changing the twist-up eye thing, tried getting my glasses back farther on my face, but nothing seemed to help. One REI brand (8x42) did the same thing. The lower FOV ones seemed to work better, but that might not mean anything. They only carried Nikon and REI (and she didn't know who made the REI brand). A Nikon Action (They didn't have the Action Ex) worked well, but felt too heavy. sigh... I think the next step is a trip clear across town to the Audubon shop. Perhaps they carry more brands and know more about them.

Hi Susan,
Well done! You've started the search and have been able to winnow down the offerings effectively.
The 6x30 Leupold Yosemite is lighter than the 7x35 Nikon Action Ex, also waterproof, but with 20mm eye relief. Readily available from Amazon for under $100.
The Audubon shop is a good next stop.
If that does not work, maybe try Eagle Optics, they have a very liberal try and return policy.

That's good to know about Eagle Optics. It may very well come in handy! I know the Audubon Society carries Leupold, so perhaps I will get to see the Yosemite there.

Susantm:

Last time I was in REI, their binoculars looked similar to Alpen and Vortex models. All were made in China, which is appropriate to your price range. Very good binoculars for the price are made in China. Yes, often better quality binoculars are made in Japan, but they cost more and those made in Europe co$t much more.

If your getting kidney bean shadows or black outs make sure the interpupilary distance (adjustable distance when you move the binocular barrels closer together or farther apart) is set so that the exit pupils are centered on your eyes. The more you use a pair, the quicker you get use to setting this distance, but when you try multyple binoculars you have to set each for your eyes. If one or both eyes feel uncomfortable when lookin through a binocular, then you may also have to set the diopter adjustment for your eyes with your eyeglasses on. Finding the right binoculars is a complicated business, but you will receive value for your efforts, when you find that perfect pair. Keep looking and good luck.

bearclawthedonut

The REI own brand bins are Xi'an Vision bins last time I checked.

I generally find REI prices to be not very competitive even more so in a sales tax state. Perhaps to pay for the dividend or perhaps people don't comparison shop (insert rant on how REI has declined over the past 30+ years ;) ). Though I did by my first birding bins their as a naive bin user.

I've been wondering if they're planning on introducing the newer ED glasses Xi'an Vision bins into their line up. No sign of them yet.

Susantm:

I completely agree with Kevin; REI is the wrong place to purchase binoculars, but it's OK to look at binoculars there. Best prices are generally found on-line. EagleOptics, OpticsPlanet, CameralandNY, ebay (be careful) and Binoculars.com (if you have a 14% discount coupon). All of these websites sell optical equipment at prices that are deeply discounted from "List Price". Sometimes one or the other get very good deals from certain manufacturers and then pass the savings on. When that happens, you get an outstanding price.

If Hayneedle will send me another 14% discount coupon good at Binoculars.com, then I'll buy another pair. I don't need another pair, but if I get that coupon, then I'll do my patriotic duty and help the economy.

bearclawthedonut

I'm going to try to get to the Portland Audubon Society tomorrow. I was sent a price list, and, if you are a member, prices are pretty comparable to EagleOptics--much to my surprise. Right now they have Vortex diamondbacks 8x28 on sale for $115, which is cheaper than Eagle Optics by quite a bit. They have several Leupold, as well as several Vortex, so I will have some new ones to try. I will check out prices online first, so I know whether theirs is good or not--in case I find something I really like. And hopefully, the people there will know something about binoculars!
Where do you get those 14% coupons? And that is very patriotic of you to consider buying another pair to aid the economy!

Susantm:

Go to binoculars.com home page. At the bottom there is a box to submit your email address. You will receive emails (many) starting in about a week from Hayneedle (the parent company that owns 200 web merchants) mainly in regard to outdoor furniture, once every three or four months there will be a discount coupon good for optics (binoculars, spotting scopes and telescopes), sometime it will be 5%, 10%, but I've never seen one for more than 14%. Last one I received (14%) was back in April. At that time, I was considering the new Vortex Viper 8x28. Luckily for me it was not yet available. Since then I've decided, I want to see, handle and look through a Viper 8x28 - prior to my purchasing one. But there are other bins ....

$115 is a very good price for the Diamondback 8x28's. But by all means look at/through them - prior to purchase. I like them, but I like my Fury 8x28's better. These are small binoculars, not little tiny things like the Bushnell Custom Classix 7x26's. But 28's are 28's; they are not the same animal as 42's. Make sure that they are right for you. Good luck. Hopefully, there is still no sales tax in Oregon?

bearclawthedonut

Still no sales tax in Oregon! :)
They carry the Fury, too, so I will compare. It, of course, costs more. (Actually the Fury they carry is 8x32.) I will compare with full size, too, to see the difference in view and such.

Susantm

Another binoc you may want to consider is the Bushnell Excursion EX 8x36 (21 oz, 17.8mm ER). They have been favorably reviewed on this site, but one (tero) had a problem with the diopter and they seemed to drop off the radar. I spent a month comparing to my Bushnell Legend 8x32 before concluding that the EX's were much better than the Legends and sold my legends. They are smaller and lighter than fullsize but give about the same performance and have a wide FOV. They are better optically than the Diamondback 8x28 and I also find the Diamondbacks too light to hold without shake, and optically inferior. For around $125 you'd be hard pressed to find anything better.

tom

Mission accomplished! And bearclawthedonut, I ended up with a Vortex Fury 8x32, so similar to yours. I spent about an hour at Audubon trying out several different Vortexes and Leupolds. The Fury just felt the best and seemed the easiest to use, even though it was a bit heavier than what I originally thought I wanted. My husband liked it best, too, although he, of course, left the choice up to me. All of my birthday money is spent, but I am happy with my purchase!

A big thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions and advice. I still think I will eventually get a cheaper small bin to carry around in the car or when I don't have much space, but I like the Fury for a good, all-around binocular. Looking forward to trying it out on a hike soon!

Susan

Susantm:

Congratulations! Vortex Fury binoculars provide very good quality for your money. They are well built, rugid, dependable and provide solid optics. Vortex also is supposed to have excellent customer service (just don't send them emails as they never seem to respond). I have had (gave the 10x28 to my brother) three Vortex binoculars - all 28's. And, if I can ever find a Viper 28 to compare to my Fury 28; I might consider another. Certainly, if I could hold a Viper 10x42 steady enough to utilize; I would purchase one in an instant.

Now get out and enjoy. I used to haunt the marsh ponds between Wilsonville and Tualatin. They form a beautiful urban edge eco-system. Each pond is small enough that you can get very close views of an amazing variety of birds. And along the Tualatin River - Bald Eagles, Ospreys, Hawks (mainly Red Tail), Kingfishers and occasionally shy Wood Ducks join the wide variety of assorted ducks and Canada Geese.

bearclawthedonut

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back