• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Bino Ideas (1 Viewer)

jgraider

I'm going to shell out not more than $1300 for a pair of binoculars that I want to give my nephew for graduation, as I don't want him to "have" to buy another pair. We're not concerned with weight, just wanting the best view I can find. I've got it narrowed down to the following, but am open to other suggestions:

1. Nikon EDG demo ($1299)
2. Swaro slc neu demo ($1199)
3. Kowa Genesis demo ($850)
4. Found a SLC HD for $1800---is it $500 better than the SLC neu?
5. What am I missing????

** Not really wanting to consider these:
Leupold GR HD -already have a pair
Bushnell Elite - already have
Meopta- Thin eyecups really bother me
Vortex Razor -never been overwhelmed by these
Zen ED2--have already
Minox--FOV much to narrow

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

how about old Swarovski EL. I am sure you can find it for $1300 new somewhere since it is now discontinued. 8.5x is one to go for. The 10x's eyerelief is too short.

You know that Nikon is giving away a D3000 DSLR lens kit with every EDG? Just be wary of any demos since they may have some early "first run" issues.

I'm going to shell out not more than $1300 for a pair of binoculars that I want to give my nephew for graduation, as I don't want him to "have" to buy another pair. We're not concerned with weight, just wanting the best view I can find. I've got it narrowed down to the following, but am open to other suggestions:

1. Nikon EDG demo ($1299)
2. Swaro slc neu demo ($1199)
3. Kowa Genesis demo ($850)
4. Found a SLC HD for $1800---is it $500 better than the SLC neu?
5. What am I missing????

** Not really wanting to consider these:
Leupold GR HD -already have a pair
Bushnell Elite - already have
Meopta- Thin eyecups really bother me
Vortex Razor -never been overwhelmed by these
Zen ED2--have already
Minox--FOV much to narrow

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

What size, 8x42 or 10x42, that may help? I assume those are your choices.

Jerry

Jerry, our first choice for our open country hunting is the 10x42 that we've always used. I was hoping you'd chime in, and I'm open to any suggestion you deem worthy. You've seen more great glass than I have.

Jerry, our first choice for our open country hunting is the 10x42 that we've always used. I was hoping you'd chime in, and I'm open to any suggestion you deem worthy. You've seen more great glass than I have.

I would recommend the Nikon EDG, as I have used it for some time. In a demo
try to get one of the newer ones with the improved focuser - diopter. The early
ones the knob would slide too easily. The EDG, is very nice in hand, smooth
focus, HD glass, bright and contrasty.

Also the Swaro. SLC Neu, would be a very good pick, great optics, Swaro. seems to be by far the best seller in most sporting goods stores, and there
are many reasons why.

Kowa, no experience, I have never seen one in a store.

Jerry

Of those bins I would prefer the EDGs I think. That said, for $1300 I'm sure you can find a very lightly used pair of Zeiss FLs on ebay w/transferrable lifetime warranty and IMHO they'd be better than anything on your list. There is a good candidate auction going on right now. I was just offered a pair of 7x42 FL lotutecs at that price, so I'm quite sure it's possible.

Of those bins I would prefer the EDGs I think. That said, for $1300 I'm sure you can find a very lightly used pair of Zeiss FLs on ebay w/transferrable lifetime warranty and IMHO they'd be better than anything on your list. There is a good candidate auction going on right now. I was just offered a pair of 7x42 FL lotutecs at that price, so I'm quite sure it's possible.

I'll check that out. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back