• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujinon binocular 40x150 (1 Viewer)

Wigs

I have been given an old pair of Fujinon Binoculars 40 x 150 1.7 degrees.
I can not get them to focus. Is there anyway I can fix this or will I have to send them off to get repaired?
They are very old binoculars!

Hi Wigs,

Boy, I would love to have a pair like that. Never seen any like them before.

A couple of questions. Do the eyepieces turn freely? What are the markings on them? It may be that you are trying to focus too close. IF the markings are +/- 10 diopter, you may get a close focus of 150 or so meters, +/- 20d, about 80 meters. The eyepieces may not be marked and turn several revolutions to get to a closer focus.

A picture may be helpful for those who are familiar with these.

I have been given an old pair of Fujinon Binoculars 40 x 150 1.7 degrees.
I can not get them to focus. Is there anyway I can fix this or will I have to send them off to get repaired?
They are very old binoculars!

Your going to have a lot of fun with those ...B :)

Thanks guys!
Mooreorless - I checked out that other site and got some feedback - thanks.

Here are some more details:
OK.... It looks like each eye piece focuses individually. However, when I try to adjust them, the numbers move but it doesn't actually change anything - they eyepieces don't move in or out.??? It spins round but doesn't seem to do the job!!!??? I will try and get some pics for you within the next few days.

If the numbers are "spinning" and the eyepieces are not moving it sounds like the part with the numbers, which forms a kind of cowling over the eyepiece cylinder, has become detached from the eyepiece itself, maybe from someone trying to force the focus of an old frozen eyepiece. Usually the cowling has a toothed ring that locks over a pin on the eyepiece top. That allows the numbers to be aligned so that "0" is at infinity focus, then a collar is screwed down tight to hold the cowling in place. There could also be tiny set screws on the side of the cowling (usually 3) to accomplish the same thing. Sometimes those are covered with putty. The set screws may have been loosened or if the focus is forced the set screws may dig a groove into the eyepiece cylinder allowing the cowling to spin. Look for the set screws and try removing the eyecup and see what's under it. Photos are always helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.
I will have a closer look and check it out.

I will let you know how it goes, meanwhile here are some pics!

Attachments

• P7230449-1.jpg
    P7230449-1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 225
  • P7230450-1.jpg
    P7230450-1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 226
  • P7230451-1.jpg
    P7230451-1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 178
  • P7230452-1.jpg
    P7230452-1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 165
Looks like the eyecups are already missing. I can't tell from the photos how the eyepieces fit together, but here's a photo of one possibility. This is the eyepiece from a Fujinon 8x30 with the eyecup removed. The collar on top is slotted for a spanner wrench and glued in place with lacquer or something similar. A metal straight edge like the dull side of a knife placed across the slots might remove it if the lacquer bond could be broken or dissolved (with acetone?). Your eyepiece collar could have two tiny holes for a pencil type spanner or there may be set screws somewhere on the side of the housing (possibly in the slot at the back of the eyepiece).

If you can figure out how to remove the outer cowling with the numbers, then you can tell if the inner eyepiece cylinder that actually does the focusing is frozen from dried out lubricant or some other cause. If it can be turned you should at least be able to establish an infinity focus point for your eyes, even if you can't figure out how to lock down the outer sleeve to prevent it from spinning.

Attachments

• DSC_1249.JPG
    DSC_1249.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Wigs,

I noticed Gordon Raynor's post at Cloudy Nights about the eyepieces on the 25x150 focusing without rotating. He's very knowledgeable about the big Fuji's. I imagine his description also fits your binocular.

Henry

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back