• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Olympus E-420 (1 Viewer)

One wonders what camera he used to take those pictures - probably the E-520 mentioned above! ;)

Olympus have just launched the E-420 DSLR, which is being billed at the world's smallest and lightest consumer digital SLR and features autofocus live view.

It's becoming hard to keep up with all the new cameras these days and I wonder how long it will be before the E-520 is launched.

The launch article is here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0803/08030501olympuse420.asp

Ron

Looking at the pic of it combined with a 25mm lens is interesting almost the OM1 or OM2 with 50mm lens reborn. just bought a 410 as a backup to my 510 so a 420 is not on the agenda.

DPReview has just posted a review of the E-420:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse420/

Says some things that have me wondering about my decision to wait for the E-520 instead of buying an E-510 right now (at probably a really good price). The review says that the results from the 420 are softer than from the 410 because of a "slightly stronger AA filter in front of the sensor." They downgrade the 420 versus the 410 and also against the other competition because of this.

No doubt the 520 will be the same. Any thoughts about this? How serious is it or is this only apparent to eagle-eyed pixels examiners? I do like the liveview enhancements of the 520 (mostly for macro photography), but I sure don't want soft images!

Last edited:
DPReview has just posted a review of the E-420:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse420/

Says some things that have me wondering about my decision to wait for the E-520 instead of buying an E-510 right now (at probably a really good price). The review says that the results from the 420 are softer than from the 410 because of a "slightly stronger AA filter in front of the sensor." They downgrade the 420 versus the 410 and also against the other competition because of this.

No doubt the 520 will be the same. Any thoughts about this? How serious is it or is this only apparent to eagle-eyed pixels examiners? I do like the liveview enhancements of the 520 (mostly for macro photography), but I sure don't want soft images!

What I feel you need to take into consideration with their reviews is the bad blood between them and Olympus evident in the fact that Olympus have pulled the plug on them and will no longer give them access to pre-production cameras. So you need be aware of their deep anti-Olympus attitude when reading their review. I for one have never liked or trusted them.

Unfortunately, what Paul says is totally true, they really do have a deep bias against Olympus. Consequently, many of the reviews are flawed and do not accurately reflect the photographic possibilities of each Olympus camera.

I should have put up some results from the E420 here but I've been posting some results on the Digiscoping camera thread.
Even though the camera gets a bit of a knocking and the 25 mm lens also, I have been happy with it and can carry it around my neck all day. Here are a couple of images taken with it this week in exceptional light for Hong Kong. Neil.

Olympus E420 plus 25/2.8 Pancake lens

Hong Kong,
China.
July 2008

Attachments

• hong kong harbour_7171787.jpg
    hong kong harbour_7171787.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 169
  • fishing boat_7171804.jpg
    fishing boat_7171804.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 162
  • hong kong harbour green island_7171791.jpg
    hong kong harbour green island_7171791.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 176
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back