• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

just to second what mr U said

you should be proud of the little artists' commune that has sprung up here: twould not be the same and indeed largely would not be here at all without the constructive and supportive tone you set from post #1

Of all the great quotes to steal from I think this has to be the best. You should be proud of the, to use your words, 'troglodyte' community you've done so much to foster. It really is a unique community.

I've always been fond of basements, but this 'un's the best!

Like you, I wouldn't have developed in the way that I have were it not for this little (not so little now) community here so thanks Tim and everyone who frequents these threads for making it just about the brightest spot on the interweb.

Here's to the next 200k! B :)

Mike

I echo all the positive sentiments about the value of this community of brush-wielding birders (or pencils, charcoal sticks, pastels, or whatever). And, I am looking forward to that book! Have a "notify me when available" order in at Amazon (US)!!

Another superb piece of work re the skua, Tim. I find it very interesting in the way that certain species keep appearing under certain artist's posts, ie the skuas on here, the little owl on woody's and the falcons on Andy's. I know it's useful to have species at hand with which one can become familiar with, but without the passion there's always something lacking, no matter how good technically someone might be. In the forementioned cases, the passion and the excitement just screams out.

Russ

Ps I have my faves but I've yet to 'find' the one, and I am talking about feathered ones here!

The skua is fantastic, Tim. I've given up on looking back on ALL the ones I've missed. And in doing so, there is a marked difference, some kind of evolution, in your work. Mmmmm, your watercolors make me drool.
And regarding this little artist community, I, for one, am grateful for it. Even though I have royally sucked at keeping tabs and being in touch, I still think about everyone and have pangs of guilt at least once a week for not getting on here enough. You've made your impact with this thread!

The skua is fantastic, Tim. I've given up on looking back on ALL the ones I've missed. And in doing so, there is a marked difference, some kind of evolution, in your work. Mmmmm, your watercolors make me drool.
And regarding this little artist community, I, for one, am grateful for it. Even though I have royally sucked at keeping tabs and being in touch, I still think about everyone and have pangs of guilt at least once a week for not getting on here enough. You've made your impact with this thread!
Pangs of guilt? Pangs of guilt!!! - you, young lady, ought to be saying your Hail Marys til the cows come home ;)
Stop depriving us of your wit and talent here Beth - or I'll be sending the boys around :eek!:
Let's see what yer up to, eh?

If you're sending the boys around, I might just wait a little longer to do anything productive:eek!:. A girl needs company too ya know.

I'll post something this eve on my thread...I swear!

yes what is that? lovely view, and you know how to make the best of it too.

wonderful gulls!

edit I don't know where I was, but I just saw your studio and the pic taken by your daughter and some gull sketches...have no idea where on your thread I was it just opened there and I thought it was new.

Hi Tim,

I also have a 'notify me when available' order in with Amazon, and I can't wait.

So in the meantime, I have started going through this thread from the very beginning - I'm about halfway through now. It is simply wonderful, and very motivating, to see your amazing work and the accompanying cyber-banter adds a great dimension. The do's and don'ts that can be learned from the thread are great as well. For example, I've cancelled plans to install a plastic greenhouse, and I wrote on my blackboard 100 times - "I will never take a huge 6-panel wildlife commission for an interpretive center!" (Not that anyone will ever ask of course...:-O.) And yet another benefit is getting a concurrent education in British humor (I should probably make that British humour, to be precise!).

I am really enjoying becoming a part of this community.

Hello - I'm new here . . . . .

Just found my thread on its way onto the third page!!! - if it was a pot-plant it would have whithered and died many weeks ago due to lack of attention - apologies.
I was encouraged to shelve the illustration work for half an hour because I spotted a tired tystie on the slip - I took a couple of snaps but, as ALWAYS happens, it had gone by the time I found and collected my sketching bag (photo posted as a pressie for Nick :) ), but as I had at last relocated my sketchook, I thought I'd make a scribble or two as a couple of female eiders dabbled among the flotsam in the harbour. Not good sketches and it just shows how out of touch one can get - I haven't drawn from life for over a month !!!!!! Expect another sheet of drawing around about Christmas-time . . . . .

Attachments

• tired tystiesml.jpg
    tired tystiesml.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 69
  • eiders1sml.jpg
    eiders1sml.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 80
  • eiders2sml.jpg
    eiders2sml.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 72
..he lives!

we have to ask what you are illustrating: must be one of those illuminated bibles to have taken you out for this long, not that we had you marked down for the monastic life

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back