• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help - Kenko telephoto lens (1 Viewer)

Steve J - Darlo

I'm thinking of buying the Kenko 3x telephoyo lens from 47stphoto in US of A. can you help with

1) is this lens any good with an Oly 730 UZ.

2) are 47stphoto a reliable outlet who can be trusted to send me the lens over the big pond.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve J - Darlo

Hi Steve,

I must admit that I do not have the Kenko lens myself, mainly because I've heard some pretty awful reports about it. I have the C2100UZ which has a 10x optical zoom too. Over the last couple of years I have done a fair bit of research into additional lenses for my camera and really the only booster that gives excellent results is the Olympus B300 now replaced by the Tcon-17, both 1.7x converters. Personally I use this in tandem with a Tcon-14, a 1.4x lens. The B300 gives superb results, IMHO better than the prime lens and then with only slight drop inquality when using the Tcon-14. Virtually every photo of mine in the Gallery other than the Digiscoped ones is with this combo.

Some people can get away with using the EagleEye Optic Zoom, a 5x converter with the C2100, but I find the results are usualy a lot softer than using the Tcon and B300.

Be aware that the EagleEye knocks at least two f-stops off your shutter speed and that the Kenko may do likewise.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back