• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon IS Models (1 Viewer)

Hi Maico,

Although my IPD is approximately 65mm, I found the eye cups on my 15x50's very uncomfortable and way too wide. Here is how I dealt with them on my 15x50's and I am sure it would work on the new 32mm's that appear to be very similar. I used a very small pair of scissors with curved blades and cut the rim (basically a large 'O' ring) off. The rim is now much more flexible and reduces stray light from the sides much better.

The attached photo shows the eye cups before and after. I did get a spare pair from Canon should I ever need to reverse the procedure.

Doug......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Hi Maico,

Although my IPD is approximately 65mm, I found the eye cups on my 15x50's very uncomfortable and way too wide. Here is how I dealt with them on my 15x50's and I am sure it would work on the new 32mm's that appear to be very similar. I used a very small pair of scissors with curved blades and cut the rim (basically a large 'O' ring) off. The rim is now much more flexible and reduces stray light from the sides much better.

The attached photo shows the eye cups before and after. I did get a spare pair from Canon should I ever need to reverse the procedure.

Doug......

The curious thing is the eyecups on the 12x36 III actually measure slightly narrower than my Leica Trinovid 10x42. Canon though, have gone back to the elephantine eyecups for their new models...

Hi Maico,

For my eyes, the eye cups on the 12x36's and 10x30's are quite perfect and also reduce side glare etc. I guess that by cutting off the rims of the 15x50's, they are closer to the same fit of the two smaller IS binos.

Doug.....

It is not clear to me to which model the bad review relates. The reviewer has prior experience and so has credibility.

Canon has reduced its direct sales price and discounts are being offered in at least one Canon recognised dealership.

Other retailers are offering cheaper prices.

Can anyone comment on IS and other quality issues of the new models?

I am wavering about the 14x.

It is not clear to me to which model the bad review relates. The reviewer has prior experience and so has credibility.

Canon has reduced its direct sales price and discounts are being offered in at least one Canon recognised dealership.

He's got a lot of credibility. He's a "top contributor: photography". He reviewed two Canon IS binocs recently. On Dec 7 he reviewed the 14X32 and on Dec 13 the 12X36. He didn't like either one of them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/a...KW6TO75RFASN7EXQ/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_gw_tr?ie=UTF8

He may just not be suited to Canon IS binoculars.
Some people are, some aren't.

The binoculars could also be examples with poor IS.
There is quite a bit of variability, perhaps partly due to which technician sets them up at the factory.

I think that one needs quite a few reviews before conclusions can be drawn.

He says in his review 14x.

Caution is required on Amazon as reviews often do get lumped together for different specs and models.

Maico,

The statement in the link in post 84 was the source of my confusion:-

"Product Description
Get a whole new perspective - from bird watching to concerts and more - with the 10x32 IS Binoculars. Designed for extended comfort and boasting Lens Shift Image Stabilization and Powered IS, you won’t just get the experience, but feel a part of it."

Chris Packham, Winter's Weirdest Events, BBC iPlayer.
First shown 24 December.

He seems to be carrying new Canon 32mm IS binoculars, but I haven't seen a clear view yet, as I just started watching.

P.S.
Yes, possibly a 10x32 Canon IS.
But he doesn't use it, only carries it on a strap in front of his jacket.
Canon promotion?

Interesting programme.

Last edited:
I have ordered 10x30 is II ex demo at a good price. Might get them tomorrow.

I have been wondering what advantages that the new 10x32 offering holds for bird watchers that would justify the triple price. 2m close focus as against 4m would be a help, but hardly critical; 13.8% more light yes but not really significant - but what else?

I don't get the feeling that the new models are exactly flying off the shelves and I wondered if the old models might close out, not that big reductions often appear for such items in the UK. Maybe Canon will catch a cold; prices are creeping down already.

If they were not so heavy, I might have bought the 10x42.

Last edited:
I keep trying to find an excuse to purchase a 32 but logic keeps getting in the way. Considering I already own the 10x42 and 10x30II, I have trouble seeing the benefits the 32 brings.

The improvements in the 32 aren't in areas that are necessarily important to me, like closer focus. The click-release IS button is nice but not as important to me as other premium features. Depending on reports, the IS might be slightly improved but perhaps not even noticeable in most situations. I do appreciate that it's more water resistant (splash proof) but if conditions are wet or dusty, I'll just use the 10x42WP which out classes the 32 in that regard. It escapes me why Canon wouldn't go the extra step to make the 32s as water resistant as my $120 Nikon porros.

Features that would make me purchase a new Canon IS bin instantly:
An 8x32 w/min 7.8 degree FOV, or 10x32 w/min 6.5 FOV
Canon L Series Lens system
Fully waterproof to 10x42WP specs
Multi-position, click stop eye cups
A weight of no more than 725g

I believe these specs would be greatly appreciated by both birders and hunters but would also benefit the astronomer, boater and casual viewer. If they can do it with the 10x42 (apart from weight) I don't see why they can't produce a wide angle, waterproof 32 with L lenses at a similar price point. I think this would be an unbeatable seller for Canon and could replace the 8x25, 10x30, and possibly 12x36 models. By default, it would make the current 32 obsolete as well.

I know, fat chance.. right!

Last edited:
Hi from Italy
i've received a specimen of 14x32 from Canon Italia. i will publish mine impressions on binomania at the end of the next week.
Piergiovanni

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back