• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zino's Petrel, Madeira RFI (1 Viewer)

All I can say , Tim , is that it's pretty easy to get up to near the nest site . You just drive up to the top of the peak and follow the tourist path across. I could see the nest site from this path but ,being with the wife , wasn't able to visit in the evening .
I'm sure someone will have better info.

cheshirebirder said:
All I can say , Tim , is that it's pretty easy to get up to near the nest site . You just drive up to the top of the peak and follow the tourist path across. I could see the nest site from this path but ,being with the wife , wasn't able to visit in the evening .
I'm sure someone will have better info.

cheers mate

that's a great start

certainly doable then!

did you do any seawatching out there...?

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
cheers mate

that's a great start

certainly doable then!

did you do any seawatching out there...?

Tim
Only Cory's from the cliffs . Wives and boat trips don't mix!
Seriously , just looked up an article in Birding World Vol17 No.4 which says to contact Amicar Vasconcelos te. 964541793 or Email [email protected] to arrange a visit to the actual site.
The firecrest and long-toed pigeons were the best birds I saw! (both easy )
The article also has info on the best boats to go out in too.

Last edited:
pretty sure i've read a trip report somewhere not too obscure on the web (birdtours??)
good to hear that they're increasing (if i understand you right?). must be just about the rarest breeding endemic in the western pal?

As I understand it you are only allowed on the path past the breeding area with one of the licensed guides, at night that is.

Steve

I was there in July this year and visiting the Zino breeding site is a must. As others have said you now must hire a guide but it is very inexpensive and going on your own at night could be very dangerous indeed.
It is an amazing experience especially on a moonlight night as you can hear the birds calling and you can see them as they come over the cliff edge and tumble down the other side.Interestingly it is believed all the birds that come and call at night and visit the cliffs are non breeders.
A day trip to the Desertas is a must but beware the seas can be very very choppy indeed once you leave Maderia coastline.
What i recommend is a day visit to Porto Santo by ferry. You can hire a car there and explore the islands its certainly better than maderia for landbirds, BertholotsPipit, Rock Sparrow, Spanish Sparrow, Hoopoe and Spectackled warbler are all much easier seen. But the real highlight is the return ferry crossing in the evening, Bulwers petrels were everywhere and i had 3 fea/zinos close to the boat. Corys were abundant.
Contact Niklas at the Maderia website he is very very helpful and can give you loads of usual advice.

Derek

Visiting the breeding site of Zino's Petrel is an amazing experience.

I visited Pico do Arieiro in July with a guide from Ventura do Mar - a great chap who also provides biscuits and coffee!

Birders researching a visit to the archipelago should book a guide when visiting the site at night.

Zino's is highly endangered, and it's seriously precipitous up there.

As well as keeping you safe, a guide will take you to the best spot for a chance of a sighting without disturbing the birds.

And you shouldn't go to the site during the day before visting at night because you'll scare yourself too much!

Wonderful Zino's Petrels night!

Hello,

I have been near the breeding site of Zino's Petrels 2 years ago, when I went on Holidays to Madeira on June 2005. I have booked through Madeira Wind Birds and went there with 2 experienced guides. These guides usually help Doctor Zino ringing these small seabirds and they know a lot of this species.

They served a hot tea and biscuits and the night was so wonderful that I can say it was the best tea of my life! We have seen several Zino's petrels silhouettes, heard more than 100 calls and seen around 5 shooting stars!

Last edited:
cheshirebirder said:
Amicar Vasconcelos te. 964541793 or Email [email protected] to arrange a visit to the actual site.

Highly recommended. Top bloke.

The increased numbers of breeding pairs are partly due to sterling efforts keeping cats and black rats at bay during the breeding season. But, the big hike in recorded numbers in the last few years comes from finding a new colony.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back