• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn Owl in flight (1 Viewer)

nigelblake

don't re member
Hi

I had a fantastic session with the Barn Owls at Welney again yesterday, in some respects this is picking up on issues raised in other threads, the whole art of bird photography is much more dependent on you being as inconspicuous as possible so that the birds come close to you, this is so much more effective than you trying to get close to the bird, they are naturally wary but if you are not perceived as a threat to them, then they will carry on with their habits unaware of your presence.
This shot was taken with a 100-400mm IS lens on my D60, the bird hovered for possibly 15 to 20 seconds about 12-15 feet away allowing me to get about 25 images, all are quite stunning and I will post a page of them on my web site later, 1/250th-1/320th at f9.5 set on AV, underexposed by 1/2 stop and then brightened in photoshop, why? this means that the highlights do not burn out so I retain detail which would be lost if overexposed.

Nigel

Attachments

• barnowlflying_2629.jpg
    barnowlflying_2629.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 816
Hi nigel, showed that picture to my daughter and grandson, thats nice from daughter, and the little one stared at that owl,finger in mouth, sure sign he loves it, my reaction, WOWWOWWOW!!! what a fantastic picture, just as I remember them,from my childhood, Have you seen them just as dawn is breaking surrounded by shrieking blackbirds, Jays and thrushes, the noise is deafening, and the look on the owls face as if asking me to shut them up. I felt so sorry for poor barn owl!

Nigel. That is the best way to answer those sceptics who think that photographers just go for the birds instead of wait, inconspicuously, for the birds.

Brilliant photo as usual. Did you get a chance to photograph the Dark Breasted Barn Owl whilst you were there? (Did you even get to see it?)

Excellent again Nigel, and thanks ver much for the background info and advice. Every time you post we learn a little more!

Now that is the real thing ! An absolutely awesome shot. Would that I could take just one like that of any bird. Beautifully done and good advice. Thanks very much.
Paul

nigelblake said:
Hi

I had a fantastic session with the Barn Owls at Welney again yesterday, in some respects this is picking up on issues raised in other threads, the whole art of bird photography is much more dependent on you being as inconspicuous as possible so that the birds come close to you, this is so much more effective than you trying to get close to the bird, they are naturally wary but if you are not perceived as a threat to them, then they will carry on with their habits unaware of your presence.
This shot was taken with a 100-400mm IS lens on my D60, the bird hovered for possibly 15 to 20 seconds about 12-15 feet away allowing me to get about 25 images, all are quite stunning and I will post a page of them on my web site later, 1/250th-1/320th at f9.5 set on AV, underexposed by 1/2 stop and then brightened in photoshop, why? this means that the highlights do not burn out so I retain detail which would be lost if overexposed.

Nigel

Nigel,
Another great shot and I thank you for posting the settings info which I find most helpful in knowing.. how you did that.

RoyH.

Another inspiring Owl shot! I'll be checking your site for the other pics. Your tips are always appreciated. Thanks Nigel.

Nigel.... That is another great capture.. and I am in awe again. But mostly I am thanking you for taking time and posting the settings you were using.. and the idea that one goes to the site and stays inconspicuois as possible.. that may help explain why I might look like a camoflaged tree most days!

A cracker of a shot that was! I loved your website especially the Fuerteventura pages and look forward to seeing the owls there.

Nigel,

Please continue to post how and why. As a new digital photographer, I need all the help I can get:). Your camera info is of great value.

I finally bought a bit of camo wear, and found that if I sit quietly for a while things do start moving around;-). My problem is that the 2100UZ shuts off after 5 minutes. To restart, all I have to do is touch one of the controls, but the startup time is the same. I had a Northern Harrier land, not 20 feet away, but by the time the camera woke up, the raptor had flown on:-(.

All your help is invaluable,

Tim

Beautiful shot, Nigel. Many things are just so good about this photo. I agree with what you say entirely. However, you did not mention so I will ask. Were you in your real-tree gear, in a blind, or just dressed (i.e., drab clothing vs. real-tree) and acting inconspicously?

Absolutely fabulous and very interesting to read about the underexposure in order to keep detail. Thank you Nigel.

Nigel,

Where are your favourite photographic haunts in Bedfordshire since I would love to travel north and see the birds and an photographich artist like yourself at work.

Rob.

Your photos are so pure and clean, it has to be a gift to take photos like this one. It's so great the way you share your expertise with the other Birders here.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back