• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying a spotting scope (1 Viewer)

Baddi89

Hello fellow birders.

I am thinking of buying my first spotting scope for birding.
I've been surfing the web for reviews and such, but would really like to hear from you guys what you are using and what you'd recommend.
My budget on this one is about 300-450punds and therefore it is not so easy to pick the "good" ones apart from the bad.
Also I would like to know what zoom range and lens size you guys prefer.

I've been looking at the "Vanguard endeavor HD 65A", for its ED-glass and
the "Barr & Stroud Sierra 20-60x80" for its bright lens.

Looking forward to getting some advise on the one.

Thanks

Baddi

Hi,

of the two, the Vanguard is probably the lesser evil.

B&S review:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=275515

Vanguard review:

http://www.irelandswildlife.com/vanguard-endeavor-hd-65-spotting-scope-review/

I would save up and keep a close eye on the classifieds... well used alpha glass can be had at low prices from time to time and will give a better view than a random chinese made one.
If it's supposed to be a chinese made one, I'd try to make sure I can a have a look through the example I'll buy or have a good return policy.

Joachim

Thanks a lot, hadn't seen these reviews. The more I look around the less I like the B&S so like you say, the Vanguard is probably a better choice.
Really like the idea of looking out for used alpha glass! What is the best market for such? I've only used Ebay for online second-hand shopping so far.

If it is your first scope and not your first-and-only-scope-for-the-foreseeable-future, consider getting a high quality travel scope such as the Nikon 50ED or Opticron MM3 in an angled configuration. Such a scope is relatively inexpensive but will always be useful to you, no matter what you might get in the future. A 50 mm scope won't perform well over ~25 to 30x, but for me that magnification is enough for most birding. A 50 mm angled scope can be supported on an inexpensive and short lightweight tripod with a simple ballhead. If you get a good 50 mm scope, you next scope should be a high quality ~80 mm scope along with a more substantial tripod and fluid head (expensive!). No need to mess around with in-between sizes.

If it is your first-and-only-scope-for-the-foreseeable-future, get the best quality ~80mm scope you can afford. Strongly consider buying used (I've seen some superb deals on Nikon 78ED and 82ED). Make sure to budget for a good carbon-fiber tripod and fluid head as well.

--AP

Thank you for good suggestions Alexis. I always give similar advice for people starting out in bird photography. Hadn't thought about it that way this time though. I think I will mainly use the scope from my car (window mount) to scan for rarities, but will definitely purchase a good alpha glass one day!

Baddi

Hi,

ebay is an option, some local 2nd hand websites like gumtree have good deals at times (got my Kowa from a german one) and don't forget the classifieds in here...

With local sale sites some care is in order, I would only accept cash on pickup there.

Elder Nikon Fieldscopes with ED glass and Kowa TSN-3/4, 603/4, 613/4, 663/4 and 823/4 are very rewarding scopes and can often be had at a good price. Nikon Fieldcope EPs are getting a bit rare so think twice about getting a body w/o EPs there..
Swaro, Leica and Zeiss tend to be more pricey even used but if you can find an HD/APO version to fit your budget, go for it.

Pentax and Celestron Regal series (but not lower Celestron spotter series) are quite good and take astro EPs without modification so if you like fixed mag EPs those are a good idea.

The better Opticron series are also quite nice although not too often seen used.

Joachim

I'll just endorse Alexis' general strategy which has worked well for me. My first buy was an Opticron GS 52 GA (the forerunner of the MM3) used with a monopod followed some time later by an 80mm scope, in my case a used Opticron ES 80 from EBay (together with a carbon fibre tripod and a manfrotto fluid head). At the moment this is all I need.

If it is your first scope and not your first-and-only-scope-for-the-foreseeable-future, consider getting a high quality travel scope such as the Nikon 50ED or Opticron MM3 in an angled configuration. Such a scope is relatively inexpensive but will always be useful to you, no matter what you might get in the future. A 50 mm scope won't perform well over ~25 to 30x, but for me that magnification is enough for most birding. A 50 mm angled scope can be supported on an inexpensive and short lightweight tripod with a simple ballhead. If you get a good 50 mm scope, you next scope should be a high quality ~80 mm scope along with a more substantial tripod and fluid head (expensive!). No need to mess around with in-between sizes.

If it is your first-and-only-scope-for-the-foreseeable-future, get the best quality ~80mm scope you can afford. Strongly consider buying used (I've seen some superb deals on Nikon 78ED and 82ED). Make sure to budget for a good carbon-fiber tripod and fluid head as well.

--AP

As someone who is considering a first scope I think this is great advice! Many thanks Alex!

Chris

One thing you can't read from the specs is how the scope balances. You would think the makers would put the mounting part in the center of balance, but that is not the case with the lesser brands. If it tends to tip, frontwards or backwards, some of it can be fixed with a good tripod.

Thank you all for taking time to help me out, I appreciate it! As I was drowning in new information and looking well into all options I noticed that "B&H" had lower the price on the Vanguard endeavour HD 65S from 549$ (usually going for 449 though) to 259$. I figured that must be the BEST value for money on the market today, if you don't mind the straight viewing eyepiece! I don't know why but noticed that the 82mm was not available in straight viewing and the price on the angled stayed the same, plus it says "limited supply". So I guess they stopped making it in straight viewing.

Again, thank you for your help and if someone else is looking for a lower mid-range scope, I think this is the deal!

Baddi

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back