• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two at Logan Pass, Glacier Nat'l Park, Montana, USA (1 Viewer)

OhioHick

Supporter
United States
So we spotted several birds during our trip to Glacier in early August, but I've not figured out what most of them are. These first two were seen at Logan Pass along the trail to Hidden Lake (so about 6700 feet above sea level). Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Glacier_2017_A%20%28433%29_crop01-X2.jpg
    Glacier_2017_A%20%28433%29_crop01-X2.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Glacier_2017_A%20%28557%29_crop01-X2.jpg
    Glacier_2017_A%20%28557%29_crop01-X2.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 43
the first one is american pipit, and the second is a juvenile sparrow, possibly a chipping. hard to be 100% sure of the sparrow species from that photo alone.

Agreed. First one is definitely American Pipit (I saw several on that same trail in 2011). Second is a juvenile sparrow, not sure which one.

Thanks to you both for the information. That's my problem, being a novice at this, all those little brown birds look alike!

Question about the American Pipit. I have an old bird ID book (from circa 1986) and there is no listing for an American Pipit. Is there a story that goes with that? Perhaps a species that was split or a race of bird that was reclassified. I've had that happen before with this old book (I guess I really need a better, more up to date book!).

Thanks!

Question about the American Pipit. I have an old bird ID book (from circa 1986) and there is no listing for an American Pipit. Is there a story that goes with that? Perhaps a species that was split or a race of bird that was reclassified. I've had that happen before with this old book (I guess I really need a better, more up to date book!).

Don't know what the story is on the two common names. FWIW, the name in the most recent AOU checklist is "American Pipit".

Thanks to you both for the information. That's my problem, being a novice at this, all those little brown birds look alike!

Thanks!

Used to be called Water Pipit in this country.

Water Pipit was split by the AOU into American Pipit (NE Asia and North America) and Water Pipit (Eurasia). The name Buff-bellied Pipit is a synonym for American Pipit used only by Europeans.

Water Pipit was split by the AOU into American Pipit (NE Asia and North America) and Water Pipit (Eurasia). The name Buff-bellied Pipit is a synonym for American Pipit used only by Europeans.

Ah, the heavy hand of the I.O.C. at work, is it, that linguistic bull in a china shop!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back