• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Austin Tx -- Hawk?? (1 Viewer)

PhotoSyko

Have not seen this version around here..... please ID

Sorry for the haze.... overcast and rain. Atmospheric haze.

Attachments

• NewHawk.jpg
    NewHawk.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 53
Thanks KC.... that bird is COOL looking. Wouldn't want to be on the business end of the claws, but from a camera lens it's cool :)

Presumably Northern Crested because there's a Southern Crested much further south... Northern being the more striking of the two..

Yep, Northern - the divide runs through the middle of Brazil. Not sure if the Northern is the more striking though, from pics I've looked at, I can't see any difference between the N and S species, they look exactly the same to me :-O

Yep, Northern - the divide runs through the middle of Brazil. Not sure if the Northern is the more striking though, from pics I've looked at, I can't see any difference between the N and S species, they look exactly the same to me :-O
I'm no expert.. but from what I've seen the barring on the chest of the Southern Caracara goes lower down than the Northern.. The general colouration appears a little duller.. Of course I have limited experience and knowledge and this may be due to pictures I've seen up to date...
I've always though the Southern race was reminiscent of the extinct Guadalupe Caracara..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back