• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Danube Diving Ducks (germany) (1 Viewer)

squeak

Hello everyone,

Walking across a footbridge over the Danube this morning I was delighted to see the Goosander again (the catalyst for me joining the birdforum last week). I'm assuming it was the same one as last week. There were also 3 other divers, a pair and a spare one. The lone one had a pale grey back (with fine markings) and a dark head which seemed brownish. It also had a pale blue/grey beak. I tentatively identified him as a Pochard drake (Aythya ferina), please tell me if I'm wrong!

The pair were very small and compact, the drake being strikingly white, black and grey and the duck a rich brown. These two littl'uns really threw themselves into their dives! These are proving more difficult to identify. Lesser Scaup (Aythya affinis) perhaps?

There were also cormorants, mallards and gulls around and on the shore was a lovely blacky, bluetits and a robin. Bear in mind that this was on my way to where I park my car which is in the middle of a city! Lucky me, eh?

I look forward to the walk every morning (and, yes, it makes me late for work!).

squeak

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back