• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle at Bharaptphur (1 Viewer)

Robert L Jarvis

Robert L Jarvis
Would appreciate your take on this Eagle, photo taken this year at Bharaptphur. Digiscoped from some distance hence quality could have been better especially with light conditions.

It is an adult Spotted Eagle!
A darkish adult (no white markings on vings!) "Aquila". Prominent gape-line (although not reaching back of eye as in Steppe Eagle). Large bill (Lesser Spotted have smaller almost buzzard-like bills!) although not as large as Steppe.
The plumage is chocolate brown with no indication of lighter brown colouration (as would be expected). All good characters for Spotted Eagle!
Spotted Eagle is also (by far) the most common eagle-species in Bharatpur.

Cheers from Sebastian

Can't you ID them off nostril shape? Doesn't one have a kidney shaped nostril and the other a circular nostril? (or at least they did when I was in India!). Forgotten which has which, but the photo seems good enough to apply that to...

tom mckinney said:
Can't you ID them off nostril shape? Doesn't one have a kidney shaped nostril and the other a circular nostril? (or at least they did when I was in India!). Forgotten which has which, but the photo seems good enough to apply that to...

Hi Tom!
Both Lesser and Greater Spotteds show rounded nostrils, clearly visible on this pic ;) . Steppe Eagle is the one with elongated nostrils.

Motmot said:
Hi Tom!
Both Lesser and Greater Spotteds show rounded nostrils, clearly visible on this pic ;) . Steppe Eagle is the one with elongated nostrils.

Ah, that's right. It was a long time since I saw any of them them (excuses excuses...) ;)

Motmot said:
Hi Tom!

Anyone who can see nostrils in this picture has better eyesight than me!
Cordially
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back