• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x42 BD BR roofs? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Anyone tried these,how might they compare to other more pricey 7x42's?

Looking at the spec they look kinda tempting,I've briefly tried out the 8.5x42
and thought it compared very favourably with leica trinovids.I'd really prefer another 7x42 quality roof to replace my 7x42 porros.

Matt

The 123m@1000m is not nearly as wide as the better 7x42s, which generally have 140-150m@1000m fields. In fact many 8x42s, especially the top models, have a wider field.

I would opine that their relatively narrow field puts them at a distinct disadvantage in the current binocular market.

eetundra said:
The 123m@1000m is not nearly as wide as the better 7x42s, which generally have 140-150m@1000m fields.

Not much for a 7x42 agreed,presumably the 8.5x42 is even less.Still acceptable though,especialy if they have good depth of focus and a nice easy bright image.

Matt

Have you tried the 7x42 Meopta Meostar? I tried a pair in November when I was upgrading my bins. The only down side is their weight. If you can live with that, then the view was easily as good as anything I tried including Ultravid & Zeiss FL.

Having said that, I did end up buying the Ultravids.

Des.

The 123m@1000m is not nearly as wide as the better 7x42s, which generally have 140-150m@1000m fields. In fact many 8x42s, especially the top models, have a wider field.

I would opine that their relatively narrow field puts them at a distinct disadvantage in the current binocular market.

I owned a pair of the 7x42 BD BRs briefly a couple months ago. Optically they were exccelent in just about every regard. They do compare quite well with bins costing significantly more. As mentioned in the above quote though the field of view is noticeably narrower than other 7x42 bins on the market. Coupling the narrower true field of view with the 7x magnification also yields a fairly narrow 49 degree apparent field. If you can get over that issue then I would highly recommend them based on everything else they have to offer for that price.

Have you tried the 7x42 Meopta Meostar? I tried a pair in November when I was upgrading my bins. The only down side is their weight. If you can live with that, then the view was easily as good as anything I tried including Ultravid & Zeiss FL.

I would wholeheartedly second that recommendation. The Meostars are about twice the cost of the Minox BD BRs ($380 versus $800) but the image quality of the Meostars is directly comparable with the likes of Leica, Zeiss and Swaro in just about every way. The only two difference I have found is a slightly warm color bias and just a bit more CA around the edges of the field of view on high contrast objects.

Well worth what they are selling them for.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back