• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Gull - Ethiopia (1 Viewer)

Mark Harper

World Birder
Taken in November at Lake Ziway (if I remember correctly) is this a Heuglin's Gull and if not what is it.

Looking forward to another lesson in Gull ID.

Mark

Attachments

• 1626 heuglin's gull 1.jpg
    1626 heuglin's gull 1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 164
Hey Mark

The head shape and long drooping bill shape look good for Heuglin's , and it seems to lack the strong head streaking of winter 'graeseli' Lesser-Black backed.

I assume this is a 2nd summer moulting into 3rd winter or early 3rd winter.

Here are some links with some info on ID of Heuglin's, Lesser-black Backed, Baltic (LBB )and Caspian Gulls.

http://www.gull-research.org/heuglini-id/

http://www.gull-research.org/papers/01gibbins.pdf

http://www.gull-research.org/papers/01gibbins.pdf

http://www.geocities.com/birdsnap/barabensis_adult.htm

Sure someone will be along with more info and a better attempt at ID soon.

CheersB :)

Sean

Hi Mark & Sean.

Location would play an important role for this gull. Of the two candidates possible here - Baltic and Siberian - Baltic is the best candidate due to location - Siberian is scarcer in East Africa.
The gull is most probably a 2cy - 2nd generation primaries - we can´t see if all the primaries are moulted to 2nd generation - uniformly blackish (3rd generation feathers on upperparts and coverts - mixed with second generation brownish featers) The identification of Baltic and Siberian is complicated since they have a different moult strategy than do graellsii/intermedius (so we can safely exclude these on advanced moult and location - and see the first link in Sean,s thread - where a good explanation can be found!).
My vote is Baltic Gull (fuscus) but is worthy to take a look at the sites mentioned!

JanJ

I'm very interested in gull ID and often I try to ID photos like this one.
I find this bird very good for fuscus/heuglini complex for reasons of moult and location already explained by others, but if I should decide between the two I'd rather say heuglini.

My experience is limitated to fuscus here in Italy, and it always looked quite different from this bird, with shorter legs, shorter bill, more compact head, darker mantle (same-aged, II cy, birds too), less marked head (much variable) and they didn't show that "bad looking face".

So I'm very interested in knowing from Jan why he thinks fuscus (i'm not saying you are frong, I only like learning a lot from more experienced birders!)

thank you a lot and ciao
Michele

Hi Michele.

It does look long-legged and long-billed but I´m not having such problems with that - could be explained by the gull being a male. There are a certain overlap in measurement.

I wonder if the gull really is taken in November? Still think that it´s to dark for a 2cy Siberian (heuglini) - brownish blackish - although some Siberian at this age could be rather similar but usually paler with many (or less) obviously bluish-grey third generation feathers. Much variation though in both taxa and I wouldn´t put my money on the identification and not that confident with the moult variability of 2cy birds in November.

JanJ

Strange bird. It looks like a first-summer heuglini but since the photo was taken in late november .... bump.

Thank you very much for your comments Jan, very interesting!
Here in Italy heuglini occours yearly with low numbers in Sicily, but those birds are very pale (taymirensis-like!) and big...wath a mess these gulls ;- )

ciao
Michele

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back