• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Impressions of the Bushnell 7x26 Elite 2 Compact (1 Viewer)

stephen b

For anyone who has seen the new elite2 7x26 compact-- What is your opinion on this one compared to the older custom compact?

I have a late 80's 6x25 metal bodied Custom Compact and I have an approx. 1996 Bausch and Lomb 7x26 Custom Compact (the one with the polycarbonate body) and both are very good. I was thinking about trying out the new elite and see if it is an upgrade optically from the 7x26 that I have. For those that have seen the new one-what do you think of it. Specifically for anyone of you that have or have had the older models-how is the new one improved. I know that they have twist up eyecups on the New model. I was wondering how the optics are different; ie: if there is any difference??

Thanks

For anyone who has seen the new elite2 7x26 compact-- What is your opinion on this one compared to the older custom compact?

I have both the old "leatherette" non-armored Bausch & Lomb 7x26 model, and a pair of the Elite Custom 7x26. I think the E2 have some kind of water repellant coating on the lenses or some such. And maybe (hopefully) they replaced the horrible little strap attachment rings.

Of course the fit/finish/feel of the older B&L model is much superior. But that could probably be said when comparing any Bushnell to its Bausch & Lomb Predecessor. But optically, my Elite model i think is a hair better than my older pair. Perhaps the coatings are a newer variety.
Still the king of the compacts, optically.

I have read that the latest model also has a click stop diopter which is new. I haven't been able to confirm that from their website though. If so, it is an improvement over mine which is the model it replaced. The diopter on the one I have is a bit too loose and I have to keep checking it. Other than that, I have no complaints about it at all.
Bob

While the diopter adj on the new model isn't click stop, it's much superior to the old one, which was prone to move a lot. Now there's a little tit on an infinitely adjustable ring that stays put, tho' there's no + or - numbers, just a zero mark. And I gotta disagree w/Jay on the other stuff. The new one is much more substantial, a nicely armored metal body, and the attachment rings now swivel, so if the strap gets twisted, it's much easier to straighten out. I've had several of the B&L/Bushnell Compacts ( a 6x25, a 7x26 metal body, 3 of the polycarb and the current one, which Bushnell sent me as a replacement for the last plastic model I sent in to be collimated and they determined they couldn't adjust). There are 2 things that might be troublesome....the coatings on all recent models (Elites, Discoverers, Customs, Legends, et al) are quite soft and tend to easily scratch when cleaned (must be done sparingly, and then with great care). The other seems to apply to all the porro models since the Zephyrs....they are easily knocked out of collimation. But if handled carefully, give great views for $ spent. I believe the current 7x26 is at least as good, if not superior, to any of the baby roofs from the alpha mfrs as far as the view and ease of use. And I still have an old 8x36 Custom that, except for a somewhat narrow fov, is very satisfying to use.

...And I gotta disagree w/Jay on the other stuff. The new one is much more substantial, a nicely armored metal body, and the attachment rings now swivel, so if the strap gets twisted, it's much easier to straighten out. ...

Guess i prefer the metal body. and look. I think you may be right, the modern user may prefer the newer design.

Re the strap attachments.
What i do not like about them is the following.
Since they are now a moving part (tiny metal ring) attached to the polycarbonate body, they will probably be subject to failure more, than the previous solid rings.
Secondly, I am yet to find a strap that can work with them (due to the size of the opening) other than the one supplied. And, not only do I find the supplied strap less than aesthetically pleasing. It is quickly began to fray. Given the design of the attachment point, i have no idea where i could find a better one, other perhaps, than a stout piece of string.

Of course, i could be wrong. ;) Optically, like I said, they are better than the originals.

Secondly, I am yet to find a strap that can work with them (due to the size of the opening) other than the one supplied.

I haven't seen the new design. Can you thread a split-ring through each side, through which you might pass the ends of a conventional strap?

--AP

Thanks for the feedback so far; I appreciate it. I am still debating about getting the New ones to check out what they are like. Wish they had them locally, but I have to order from an online dealer to see them for myself. No place around here carries this kind of iconic glass.

Not sure it's a lot of help, but having tried a bunch of compacts at different places I decided on the Elite as the best on offer. However I mail ordered the old model by mistake. To my mind they didn't have the same contrast and the colours were not as vivid as I remembered. I sent those back and got the Elite. They are as I remembered from the first test. Not side by side. Different days, different light levels, but I am convinced they are a small but worthwhile improvement.

Had them for a few weeks now and love them.

David

But Jay, the new one has a metal body...they discovered that particular polycarb rendition wasn't so hot & got several complaints, hence the slightly more weighty and solid metal one. The 1-piece armoring is really an improvement. I do agree, however, on the need for the overly stiff split rings to attach the strap. I've broken more than a few fingernails trying to get those !#@*& things thru the eyelets on the bino body. What I finally did was find a good, fairly thin nylon shoestring, threaded each end thru the eyelet, tied a very small tight knot on each end, clipped off the plastic tips and cauterized the ends. As light as it is, I really didn't need a wide neckpiece and it makes it very easy to slip in & out of a zippered case that I kept from an older model (the case that comes with the new model is anything but compact, tho' it's nice....).

Well, the Custom is now called the EliteE2......marketing is at it again. Does yrs say ELITE on the side of the barrel?, If so, u have the latest. (I do agree with u on one thing...the need for the fingernail-breaking split rings. Or if they at least came with the rings already on the eyelets......). I guess they just wanna segregate the roof Elite line by itself and figure the Custom would kinda slide in there a little better, especially at the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back