• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rail (1 Viewer)

Why not Ridgeway's (California Clapper) Rail? Seems quite big to me and the plumage isn't bright enough for Virginia. Looks okay for adult Ridgeway's.

Plus, the habitat looks like saltmarsh, which would be best for Ridgeway's.

Last edited:
Damn, yeah, Clapper (Ridgway’s) it is. It’s been so long since I’ve seen one that I’d forgotten how short the bill is. Also, mid-November is on the late side for a V. Rail to be still in juvenile plumage.

This is the 2nd time in recent weeks that you’ve shown me up in this way, Andrew. Be advised, once more and it’s war! ;)

Damn, yeah, Clapper (Ridgway’s) it is. It’s been so long since I’ve seen one that I’d forgotten how short the bill is. Also, mid-November is on the late side for a V. Rail to be still in juvenile plumage.

This is the 2nd time in recent weeks that you’ve shown me up in this way, Andrew. Be advised, once more and it’s war! ;)

I guess all's fair in war and bird ID, or however the saying goes ;).

Why not Ridgeway's (California Clapper) Rail? Seems quite big to me and the plumage isn't bright enough for Virginia. Looks okay for adult Ridgeway's.

Plus, the habitat looks like saltmarsh, which would be best for Ridgeway's.

I agree; Virginia should be brighter overall, but I think the cheeks would be more distinctly gray.

I was "off the rails" on that one....:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back