• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January Trip To Alaska Looking At Swarovski 15x56 SLC - Advice Please, T/U! (1 Viewer)

dwever

I am going to Wasilla, Alaska this month and again in January. Very long range viewing is frequent there.

I would like the reach of the Swarovski 15x56 SLC, and may purchase it this week to compliment my Leica 8x42 Noctivids.

Is the 15X56's Swarovski tripod adapter a solid set-up? Have you used this successfully with a monopod, or is a tripod indicated?

I'm sure the optics are outstanding.

Thank you for your advice! https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...p=y&c3ch=Criteo&c3nid=criteo-shoppers-970x250

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 12.40.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 12.40.42 PM.png
    282.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 1D7AE11B-32E1-4590-A150-5EB02FD61E33-2.JPG
    1D7AE11B-32E1-4590-A150-5EB02FD61E33-2.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I have no experience whatsoever. I will say I gave some thought to several different models in the 12-15X range... Based on FOV/eye relief/size/weight I went with a 12X50 SV which you are more than welcome to give a try!

This guy on scopeviews gives EXCELLENT, hands on, well thought out reviews. IMO about the best reviews out there.

http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro15x56SLCHD.htm

I am going to Wasilla, Alaska this month and again in January. Very long range viewing is frequent there.

I would like the reach of the Swarovski 15x56 SLC, and may purchase it this week to compliment my Leica 8x20 Noctivids.

Is the 15X56's Swarovski tripod adapter a solid set-up? Have you used this successfully with a monopod, or is a tripod indicated?

I'm sure the optics are outstanding.

Thank you for your advice! https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...p=y&c3ch=Criteo&c3nid=criteo-shoppers-970x250

Dwever
Have a great trip but do correct your post: you surely have 8x42 Noctivids not 8x20s :king:

Lee

DW,

You can use it without any doubt about the stability and/or impact damage.
First of all the construction is built like a tank and second..... it's a Swarovski.

Jan

PS

And third, in case it goes wrong, just send me a ticket and I bring you a brand new one.

I’ve had better experience with the Outdoorsman tripod adapter vs. the Swaro and first class, person to person customer service.

https://outdoorsmans.com/products/outdoorsmans-binocular-adapter

The 15x56 made me a little crazy on a monopod. I went with a light tripod - two legs fully extended and the third fully retracted. Result was a bipod mounting with a video fluid head. Totally portable, extra stable, and adjust height by stepping backward or forward.

Best,
Jerry

Terrific trip - have you considered a small scope like the Leica 65?

I have the exact same combo. I went with the Outdoorsmans adapter and have been very happy with it. It is easy and quick to attach your binos. They also have other stud options if you have another binocular you wanted to put on the tripod.

Attachments

• IMG_2800.jpg
    IMG_2800.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2802.jpg
    IMG_2802.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 195
You can also consider the Zeiss 15x56 Conquest. It is a lot cheaper but performs like the Swar.
I just tested it in a two week visit to Besh Barmag in Azerbeidzjan using it to count migration.
An excellent Tripod adapter is in the package with the Zeiss, so you don't have to pay another 150$ or so.

Steven Schoevaart

You can also consider the Zeiss 15x56 Conquest. It is a lot cheaper but performs like the Swar.
I just tested it in a two week visit to Besh Barmag in Azerbeidzjan using it to count migration.
An excellent Tripod adapter is in the package with the Zeiss, so you don't have to pay another 150$ or so.

Steven Schoevaart

Yeah, but from the reviews I think it might be a stretch to say it performs like the Swar. In the reviews, the Swaro's seem to be preferred when compared head-to-head with the Zeiss.

As one review from 'Scope Views' summarized, "The Swarovski SLCs are unquestionably the better binocular, but they are also about 30-40% more expensive at the time of writing. We would buy the SLCs, but the Conquests are arguably the better value."

I've decided to order the Swaro

I have Conquest HD 10x42s. There is no doubt that they offer exceptional performance at that price point and the included adapter for the 15x56s is a really nice touch. However, I do see more CA in them than Swarovskis and to me the eyecups were a deal breaker when considering the 15x56s. In my opinion, it was worth the extra money for the Swarovski eyecups.

A point not lost on the reviewers quoted above.

Last edited:
I have Conquest HD 10x42s. There is no doubt that they offer exceptional performance at that price point and the included adapter for the 15x56s is a really nice touch. However, I do see more CA in them than Swarovskis and to me the eyecups were a deal breaker when considering the 15x56s. In my opinion, it was worth the extra money for the Swarovski eyecups.

I will offer some thoughts here, as I have owned the Swarovski 15x56 SLC Neu, and the Zeiss
Conquest 15x56 HD, and have compared them. The Swarovski is better here, in sharpness and
overall quality, and well it should be.

I have experience with several 15-16x56 models over the years, and the Docter Nobilem
is very good, the Zeiss Conquest HD is also, and is probably the best value, since it is mid-range
priced. The Nikon Monarch 5, 16x56 is also quite good and I recommend it, in its price range.
There are several reviews that include all of these binoculars if you do a search.

As far as tripod mounts go, the one like you have shown in the photos, is alright, but not as stable as a platform mount, sold by many companies including Swarovski.
They are more stable and secure in my mind, and if you are in Alaska in January, for the Iditarod, you will need your ice cleats.;)

My experience with these is the Bogpod and the Erlebach models, both
have a rubber strap to secure, and work very well.

Enjoy your trip to Alaska. I have been there in the summer, and even took
a ride on a dog sled, dirt of course.....
Those guys train and exercise their dogs all year round.

Jerry

I am not bothered by a little ca outside the sweet spot. Compared the SWA and the Zeiss next to each other and sharpness, colour, handling etc. was the same.
Eyecups never bothered me.
So for me the Zeiss is better value, plus the nice tripod adapter for free...
Went on a nice foreign birding trip with the price difference!

Steven Schoevaart

Buying some great binoculars and going on an amazing trip sounds like a good decision to me. I prefer SLCs to Conquests but I'll admit I'm biased towards optics that come from Austria in green boxes. Swaro eyecups just fit my face perfectly. I love how I can wrap my eyes around them and just forget about eye placement. Whenever I switch back to my Conquests I miss the Swaro eyecups.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back