• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Aps (1 Viewer)

CarterMT

I apologize if this topic has been discussed elsewhere on this site; I searched and was unable to find anything. My question has to do with smartphone apps for birders, and the extent to which people here use such apps. I think 2018 is the year I get something of the kind of my phone, but I'm not sure which one(s) are "best."

Any thoughts?

I apologize if this topic has been discussed elsewhere on this site; I searched and was unable to find anything. My question has to do with smartphone apps for birders, and the extent to which people here use such apps. I think 2018 is the year I get something of the kind of my phone, but I'm not sure which one(s) are "best."

Any thoughts?

I’ve got all the North American bird field guide apps on my iPhone and iPads. The one I use the most is the Sibley, both as a field guide (replacing the paper version which I used to carry) and for the sound files of calls and songs.

Just install several apps and try in the field which is best for you. I like the Merlin App from Cornell. It's for free! The distribution maps are taken from Sibley and it provides photos and voice...

But with the paper version, the batteries don't run out at the crucial moment 3:)

Nor have the batteries on my iPhone/iPads ever run out in the field or even come close. But then most of my birding is on a day basis from home or motel not deep in the rainforest for days on end without electricity. In the latter case, there’s no hope for it: a big, heavy, unwieldy damp lump of a paper book is the only sensible option. ;)

What’s with the intense feeling of deja-vu that’s suddenly come over me? Could it be that app vs. paper has been exhaustively debated in other threads? Could be so, I guess, could be so. . .. ;)

Last edited:
But with the paper version, the batteries don't run out at the crucial moment 3:)
You can just cart a power pack around with you in your pack or pocket etc as a backup for when that crucial moment approaches. I've got a 12000mAh one which only weighs around ~150grams or so (~6Oz) which gives me about 3 &1/2 charges. It's smallish and you can use it as it charges with a short cable from one pocket to the other :t:

Other smaller, lighter versions of 5 or 6000mAh are available too.

Chosun :gh:

I'm not interested in replacing any of my field guides with an app, but I often find myself wanting to dial up the song of a bird I think I might be hearing, for example. Or a quick picture. I sort of assumed that like most things in life, there would be better and worse versions of bird apps.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back