• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

APO Filters A Query (1 Viewer)

Stewart J.

Does fitting a good quality UV or Daylight filter to a 62 APO (or any APO) affect the lens performance detrimentally in any way? I'm unsure about fitting one to my new scope, trying it out alongside my non APO Televid 77 the colours are outstanding and I always thought the 77 was superb so I wouldn't like to suffer a slight drop in performance just to prevent damage to the objective lens?

Stewart

Fit one - having had problems with the coatings on my APO 77 I've had the lens re-coated twice and have managed to get salt water damage again whilst "um"ing and "ah"ing over fitting a filter...

OK appreciate the "fit one for protection" argument but dosen't answer the question why pay a premium for flourite coatings which is nearly 25% then stick a filter in front and does it affect performance?

Stewart :h?:

I fitted one to the APO 62mm as soon as I bought the scope simply as protection for the lens. In normal use it doesn't make any difference however it does make the scope more prone to catching flare. If you use the scope for digiscoping the filter definitely reduces the contrast in the final image. After 18 months of use I decided to remove the filter and nowadays I only fit it if seaspray or salt laden wind is likely to be a problem. The filter I use is a Hoya Ultraviolet DMC PRO 1 about £20 off ebay.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back