• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which model do you think I should get? (1 Viewer)

Gray C

Grumpy old bugger
United Kingdom
I have got the chance of buying some pre HD Ultravids, but not sure which model to go for, 8x32 or 8x42?

I will use them for birding and general viewing on holidays etc

What are the pros and cons of each. The price difference between both is an extra £90.00. Which do you reckon I should go for?

I already have Leica Ultravid 8x20s

I don't have experience with 8x32.
I like 8x42 format. The textbook answer is, 8x42 has more eye relief and easier to hold given the difference in exit pupil size of 5.25 vs. 4mm. Supposedly brighter at dawn/dusk. The downside is, it's heavier and bulkier.

If you only want one, an all-around bino, I think 8x42 is the choice in my opinion. But if compactness is an issue, 8x32 is much lighter. IMO, 7x power would work better with the 32mm objective but the big three don't make such a thing.

Last edited:
Do you wear glasses? The 8x42 has much better eye-relief. Otherwise, both are outstanding, so its mostly an issue of whether you prefer the compact size or not.

--AP

If you wear glasses for strong myopia but don't want to use them when birding, and want 8x32, might consider Swarovski EL 8x32 as it has greater focus past infinity range than Leica. An important and overlooked nuance.
I do admit that purely on the basis of optics, I like Leica more than anything.

Gray,

You may have been following my threads as I have just gone through the same process. #1, You really should try them all yourself. If you have a shop that will let you take them both home for a day, so much the better.

I started the process with the Trinovid 8x32 which were on an incredible sale here in Kalispell. I really loved those binoculars for less than $1,000.00 and I put $600.00 down and put them on lay-away for a month.

I had tried the 8x32 Ultravid, liked the view better, but they were too small in my hands, and my hands are small. But I tried both the 8x32 Ultravids and the 8x30 Swarovsky ELs one more time. This time I came to the conclusion that for a once in a lifetime (for me at least), the optics of the Ultravids were appreciably better to the point where I should pay another $400.00 and buy them. Then I tried the 8x42 Ultravids (only another $100.00), and they were perfect for me. They were just large enogh to fill my hands comfortably, just heavy enough to be steady, but not too heavy, and best of all, the larger exit puple and more relaxed eye relief made them easier to get a steady no black-out view.

I know a lot of people swear by their 8x32 Ultravids so please keep in mind that my experience is personal to me, but I hope it helps.

8x32s v 8x42s

Hi

Thanks for your comments. As I already have the 8x20s I am leaning towards getting the 8x42s. I feel the 8x32s may be a bit too similar in performance in lower light. Also you comments about eye relief and blackouts are a big consideration. I do get black outs with my 8x20s, but not too bad.

I will try to pop into a dealer and try both before committing to buying.

Cheers

Graham

Gray,

You may have been following my threads as I have just gone through the same process. #1, You really should try them all yourself. If you have a shop that will let you take them both home for a day, so much the better.

I started the process with the Trinovid 8x32 which were on an incredible sale here in Kalispell. I really loved those binoculars for less than $1,000.00 and I put $600.00 down and put them on lay-away for a month.

I had tried the 8x32 Ultravid, liked the view better, but they were too small in my hands, and my hands are small. But I tried both the 8x32 Ultravids and the 8x30 Swarovsky ELs one more time. This time I came to the conclusion that for a once in a lifetime (for me at least), the optics of the Ultravids were appreciably better to the point where I should pay another $400.00 and buy them. Then I tried the 8x42 Ultravids (only another $100.00), and they were perfect for me. They were just large enogh to fill my hands comfortably, just heavy enough to be steady, but not too heavy, and best of all, the larger exit puple and more relaxed eye relief made them easier to get a steady no black-out view.

I know a lot of people swear by their 8x32 Ultravids so please keep in mind that my experience is personal to me, but I hope it helps.

I want an Ultravid, ideally the new "HD" but was stopped by the sticker shock and didn't think it was worthwhile upgrading from the Trinovid, which is a magnificent optical instrument to begin with.

I didn't see "HD" anywhere for under $2,000. I think once the market is saturated with the new "HD", the price on the pre-"HD" Ultravids will come down some - perhaps not to the Trinovid levels, but some and then I shall consider some. Not sure about the configuration. I will probably end up keeping the Trinovid and just get a different power Ultravid, maybe 10x42 or even 10x50 just to have something different.

The new Ultravids are obviously lighter. The Trinovid weights 0.9KG roughly, or 31 oz. I don't mind the weight or the bulk at all. To me, a fine optical instrument should be heavy, versus a cheap and light commodity-grade item.

Ideally, I would want 3 Leica binos - 8x42, which is most often used, and also 10x50 for astronomy and a smaller 7x power in a compact configuration. Since the 'big three' don't make one, I might have to look elsewhere.

Also, Ebay is a great place to look for binos. The old Trinovids can be found there every day for between 700-900 USD depending on configuration and condition. Ultravids are there too, but with average prices.

Also I am adding Swarovski 8.5x42 EL, although I am tempted by the 10x power, I think I will use 8.5x more often and it's seems more practical overall than 10x.

To reiterate, I think 8x42 is the best all-around configuration to have.

You have probably received the same letter from Leica as I got.

I have ordered the 8×32 as it looks a cracking deal - over 25% off the W/house express cost. Also includes delivery.

I have tried both 8×32 and 8×42 before, but as others have said you need to try both to see which you prefer. If you don't have a local dealer who has both in stock that may be difficult though as the offer is only on for a few days.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back