• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First in a long time (1 Viewer)

colonelboris

Right way up again
Evenin' all.

It's been some time since I last picked up my sketch pad, but here it is...

Any ideas on how to scan pencil drawings so they don't look rubbish?

Attachments

• gull_small.jpg
    gull_small.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 189
Super work Tony - I really like the angle and the expression is spot-on.
Scanning graphite can be a bugger 'cos it can reflect the light - perhaps try a digi-pic without the flash (needs decent lighting, of course).
Look forward to seeing more work - great stuff.

Thanks!
I tried for a photo, but we've not got that much sun about at the moment (plenty of snow, though) and due to our Mk. 2 infant pulling over half the lights today, lighting is at a bit of a premium in the house...

Hello there- if you have the patience and photoshop, one option is to try scanning with settings at VERY low brightness (like -30 on an Epson) and low contrast (like -7 on an Epson) Then once scanned you can gently brighten it up with curves, levels in photoshop whilst keeping any eye on what happens to the detail.

Tried it as a photo, but the brightest lamp in the house is the fluorescent one in the kitchen, which isn't all that bright. But it's a bit better than scanning and I'll try Ed's sugestions when back at work.

Attachments

• mt_1_small.jpg
    mt_1_small.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 140
Another super drawing Tony - and I can't see any issues regarding the reproduction.
Enjoyed peeking at some of your paintings too - reminded me just how good your work is.

Another super drawing Tony - and I can't see any issues regarding the reproduction.
Enjoyed peeking at some of your paintings too - reminded me just how good your work is.

Thanks very much! I'm having trouble getting back into painting as the kids are into everything, so the one I'm working on (for nearly a year, very much more off than on) is progressing very slowly and I almost have to relearn everything each time I get a chance to paint. Between the kids and writing the book, it's really been on the back burner.
Sketching's a lot quicker, though.

Welcome back! I hope this isn't one of those new year's resolutions that peters out in february? Keep posting the great drawings.

Mike

I tried chnging the settings on the scanner and it's a bit better, but I think I'll still go for photos (see mockingbird_BF.jpg).

I also thought I'd have a go at colour pencils (see robin_BF.jpg). Not sure if I like it, but I'll have a play with different techniques and see how it goes.

Attachments

• mockingbird_BF.jpg
    mockingbird_BF.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 103
  • robin_BF.jpg
    robin_BF.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 138
Great drawings!
You can try to take a pic and adjust the contrasts, colour balance etc with Photoshop , thats what i do with my oil painitngs.

Maria

Great drawings!
You can try to take a pic and adjust the contrasts, colour balance etc with Photoshop , thats what i do with my oil painitngs.

Maria

Yep - that's what I'll be doing for the sketches fro now on, I think. I've been doing that for paintings on canvas, too as it reduces the pattern of spots caused by the weave.

And thanks for the comments, Nick and Maria!

Splendid work again Tony - lovely detail, nicely balanced with expressive linework.
Just a tip about 'patterns' appearing on canvas scans/photography. Besides Maria's tip about colour balance etc - the tool to use is the blur function (find it under the 'filter' pull-down) - you don't need much to blend the virtual surface of the canvas. Of course you may already know this, so I apologise if so.

Drew this one for Mrs Boris' birthday. Pencils again, but I'm happier with it than the Robin.
Just to test if I've captured it right, you can work out the species...

Attachments

• bf_1.jpg
    bf_1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 130
A beautiful, scruffy little reed bunt. (And, if I've got it wrong, it's my ID skills at fault not your drawing!)

Mike

Some Reeds and Littles are hard enough at the best of times, but this is a gorgeous painting that Mrs B will adore. Spot on Mike.

A Reed Bunting indeed - glad you all got it!
Original photo is here.
I'm rather getting to like colour pencils now - much less messing about with setting up than acrylic paints and with the kids being into everything, much less chance of disasters, too. The only downside is that it's not so easy to buy non-water soluble pencils in Switzerland. in fact, it's not that easy to buy pencils that are not Caran D'Ache, which while very good, are also water soluble with the exception of their 'Pablo' range and I've only found them in one art shop here. I'm currently combining them with Mrs Boris' Karisma pencils and it seems to work.

As the wife and kids are on holiday, I can get round to some sketching again.
Ropey photos, but otherwise, it's a case of waiting until Tuesday before I can get to a scanner...
The original photo of the Barn Owl is from the BF gallery, but I can't remember whose it was now.

Attachments

• barn_owl_p1.jpg
    barn_owl_p1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 102
  • flame_robin_p2.jpg
    flame_robin_p2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 96
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back