• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First in a long time (1 Viewer)

nice stuff again, especially the barn owl , full of life. Just out of interest, how many bluethroats are around your way, I'm off to look for some tomorrow in the lower Doubs valley, but don't really hold out much hope - luscinia breakyourhearta.

I saw one at Fanel last weekend. I get the feeling a lot of them have moved on through, though. Haven't seen any reports on Ornitho.ch for a few days now.
However, Mike Bowman (Bittern on here) said something about a breeding population not too far over into France. Might want to PM him about it.

I might start work on another drawing this evening, given that there's nothing on the TV again...

I saw one at Fanel last weekend. I get the feeling a lot of them have moved on through, though. Haven't seen any reports on Ornitho.ch for a few days now.
However, Mike Bowman (Bittern on here) said something about a breeding population not too far over into France. Might want to PM him about it.

I might start work on another drawing this evening, given that there's nothing on the TV again...

The breeding pop Mike means is the one I'm off to look for (again!) It's well-publicised, and also has Bee eaters, Purple herons, Montagu's Harriers, Melodious Warblers and Golden orioles which I've seen there, and other goodies such as Stone Curlew, Bluethroat, Wryneck and Great Reed Warbler, which I'm not likely to see there, despite everyone else seeing them!

The breeding pop Mike means is the one I'm off to look for (again!) It's well-publicised, and also has Bee eaters, Purple herons, Montagu's Harriers, Melodious Warblers and Golden orioles which I've seen there, and other goodies such as Stone Curlew, Bluethroat, Wryneck and Great Reed Warbler, which I'm not likely to see there, despite everyone else seeing them!

I wanna play...
(the bold ones would all be lifers for me...)

I wanna play...
(the bold ones would all be lifers for me...)

The bee eaters are easy - there is a colony there, the orioles aren't too difficult to see, just impossible to follow, stone curlew and monty's I saw today - no sign of bluethroat, or wryneck today though.

Let me know if ever you're this way, I'd be more than happy to show you around the area ( even if I still get lost around it)

That barn owl is a pure delight.

Can I play too? There's not one on either of your lists that wouldn't be lifers for me, (I'm not widely travelled!).

Mike

Thanks! I was originally going to draw a Bee-eater, but looking through what pencils I had, I found that I had every shade of dull brown, dull green and grey known to man, but few bright colours...

Finished!
Took a bit of time, this one. I'd got it finished and only then realised how awful the white paper background looked. I didn't fancy colouring in the whole piece of paper, but then I had an idea...
I got one of my kids' chalks and scraped off some of it with a knife onto the paper and rubbed it in. After a quick spray with fixative, viola, light green background...
I also drew a Yellow Wagtail, but didn't get a chance to scan it before I sent it on. Target for tonight is a Redwing.

Attachments

• beeeater_bf.jpg
    beeeater_bf.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 89
Finished!
Took a bit of time, this one. I'd got it finished and only then realised how awful the white paper background looked. I didn't fancy colouring in the whole piece of paper, but then I had an idea...
I got one of my kids' chalks and scraped off some of it with a knife onto the paper and rubbed it in. After a quick spray with fixative, viola, light green background...
I also drew a Yellow Wagtail, but didn't get a chance to scan it before I sent it on. Target for tonight is a Redwing.

Outstanding work Tony...................
Paul

Another colourful and textured bird there Tony. Backgrounds can be, frankly, tedious to do in colour pencil so using pastel is a good choice!

Mike

And another couple. Why does everyone always want Barn Owls...?

Attachments

• barnowl_bf.jpg
    barnowl_bf.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 58
  • redwing_bf.jpg
    redwing_bf.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back