• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Discoverer 10x42 614201 (1 Viewer)

Patrick3

Hello,
This is my first post. I bought a pair of Bushnell Discoverers 10x42 model 614201 yesterday for a great price in the end of financial year sales, and would love to get some info about them. I understood that they first came out in 2006? Would the pair that I bought be the same original model or did Bushnell make changes each year? Would the 614201 remain unchanged? It is difficult to find information. I read a couple of comments and they confirmed my research that the FOV was excellent and that the eye relief good at 17.

Hi,

On behalf of Admin and the moderators a warm welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I've copied your post to the binocular forum where someone maybe able to assist with your query.

Hi there Pat, and welcome. You have a very good bino there, the Discoverer roof line is very underrated, due to the fact that when Bushnell first released them back in 95 or 96, they weren't phase-coated. This made the image appear a little dim and washed out, as any roof w/o the pc will be. Both the 7x and 10x were given Bushnell's (i.e., B&L) proprietary PC3 starting in 2001 (probably after BVD gave the 7x model a fairly mediocre review in 99). With that change, the line became a top performer, but many didn't realize it, because there was no followup review.

The Discoverer line has ample eye relief, a wide fov, excellent resolution and a bright contrasty image. I've had a 7x model for 6yrs, and it's been my primary woods glass due to it's brightness and wide fov. I finally replaced it with a Zeiss FL 7x42, because it was the first 7x I tried that really showed some improvement over the B&L, albeit at a cost. I'll probably put it on ebay, along with 4 or 5 others I don't use all that much, when I get back from a trip to the mts.

But in short, you have a keeper in yr 10x. Enjoy.

'

Thanks for that Spyglass2,
Good luck with the Zeiss. I imagine that they are pretty heavy? I tried the Leica 10x42 trinivad? and it was like picking up a heavy rock. I spoke to Australia's top birder, Mike Carter and he uses Zeiss 8x42, even for pelagic trips. I also tried the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 Binocular and they were amazing, but decided to put the money into a new bookshelf cabinet instead. What sold me on the Discoverers was reading some reviews on this site that said to get them while they were available. I meant to thank the gut Chicken something? but am still trying to figure out how to navigate this site. I'm looking forward to try them out but the weather has not been great here. I'm booked to go north to prime birding county in Queensland in August so hopefully that will happen. I'll let you know how I find the Discoverers. Thanks again, Pat

Zeiss 7x42 FL is 26 and a bit ounces. Not heavy at all.

The Discoverers are a bit massive at 30oz. They have a heft to them.

It's only 4 ounces but it seems like more.

I would agree. I think the FLs composite body has something to do with that "feel" as well though. You still have that 7x42 Discoverer Kevin?

I might "need" another 7x bin when hawkwatching season rolls in...well and something to compare the 7x36 ED to.

;)

I do. I just dragged it out a couple of days ago on reading this thread.

And I think the solid metal body versus the composite body is exactly the point. I think the FLs are a bit longer so that makes the perceived "density" of the Discovers higher.

Perception of weight is an odd thing ... I've been caught out a couple of times (in both directions too).

As have I. Balance plays a part but so do build materials, the texture of the armor, even the placement of the focus knob.

If I remember right, the 10x was about .75oz lighter than the 7x Discoverer. I then decided to turn on the digital postal scale and weigh each bino I have on hand. Results: 7x42 B&L Discoverer-31.9oz
7x42 Zeiss FL-27.2 oz
8x32 Pentax SP-23.3 oz
8x32 Nikon SE-23.4 oz
8.5x44 Swift #828-25.9oz

all the above wts with strap but no lens caps

10x56 Zeiss FL-45.0oz
12x50 Nikon SE-31.9oz
15x50 Canon IS-42.5oz (w/batteries)
20X80 Garrett TWP CF-109.5oz

these weighed w/o caps or straps

I've found over the years that the heavier glasses, especially in higher mags, work better for me. I have a fairly strong pulse, which is where most of the jiggling comes from, and the heft helps steady things. That's why target pistols and rifles are quite heavy, to steady the sight picture if shooting w/o a rest. I've carried the B&L all day tromping thru heavy woods and didn't notice any discomfort at all.

I think that if you're at least avg size, you'll find a steadier hold with yr Discoverer than if you were carrying 10x in say, the 24-25 oz range.

As an aside, here, apparently I signed on twice to the forum, once as spyglass and once as spyglass2.....I believe it's the onset of Oldtimer's Disease.....4 yrs is a long time to remember what ya did or didn't do.....sheesh.

Thanks Spyglass,
It's interesting hearing your insights about weight, that it helps to steady an image. The 'feel' of the Discoverers is nice in my hands but they are very short and quite compact. Do you agree? Does this make a difference at all? The FOV of 341 feet is pretty awesome, Pat

Well, of all the glasses I mentioned (I've got some others as well, but they weren't home for the "weigh-in"), I gotta say the B&L holds the best, consequently it has been the most used in my inventory since I got it. It fits to a T. In face, I've used it so much the armor has separated in the molded parts of the barrels (which actually makes it even more pleasant to use)....the same thing's happened with the Canon IS, which is my other most-used. That seemingly awkward shape just works for me, so I hardly ever use the button.

The afov on yr 10 is 65*....wide enuf for the picture window view everyone seeks. My 7x has only an afov of 56*, and doesn't seem as open as the 10x I once looked thru. So again, u have a keeper.

Brief review of my new Bushnell Explorer 10x42
I mentioned a while back that I planned to try out my new Discoverers on a Queensland, Australia birding trip. well I'm back and had a great time. I found the Discovers performed well, were quick to focus, with good clarity and near focus. After a fair bit of use the focus wheel has started to squeek when I In turn it. I did find that a different binocular would be good in the very dark rainforest of Cape York Peninsula. Interestingly I met a top Australian birder, Roy Sonnenburg, who uses only 10x42 swarovski bins and scope. Overall I am happy with them, especially the quick focus and the extra resolutionis great. But I'd like ever more resolution. On a birdwatching boat trip on the Daintree River, I sat next to a very friendly American, not sure of his name, and he was able to loacte birds very well. Another American from Wisconsin, Eric, a young guy 30ish, was very fast at locating birds. It was a great thrill to be in the company of other birders. I met Phill Beaver, from Engalnd, who is a Forum member, and Phill has a total of 3,500 birds and is aiming for 4,000 by years end. Phill is a Leica man.
Happy birding,
Pat

Could anyone confirm that the Bushnell 10x42 Discoverers are the 'same' as the 'older' Meade Montanas [Bresser Montana in Europe] the 'Older' Weaver Grand Slam's, the RSPB HG.PC and the Fujinon CD's [All below ]. The Bushnells may 'differ' with having XTR coatings and PC-3 prisms ? But I believe they have the same optics and specs ? Any clarification would be appreciated.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-binoculars-grand-slam-849628.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/meade-10x42-montana.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...310421_10x42_CD_Binocular.html#specifications

http://www.binoculars-uk.co.uk/acatalog/rspb-hg-pc-10x42.html

Chris

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back