• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel scope (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I am looking for a scope to take on birding holidays. There are the obvious Nikon ED50 & Opticron MM2 & MM2ED but when I say travel scope here, I don't necessarily mean small or light.

I have a Nikon ED82 and 30x DS eyepiece but I don't want to risk losing it as it would cost over £1000 to replace.
So what I'm after is a decent quality view for a low cost (say up to £400 max) so that if the scope gets damaged or stolen, I am not going to be too bothered and I'll still have my Nikon waiting at home.
I'd like to have a bit more light gathering than a 50mm and a decent view up to 30x mag at least. I don't mind zoom or fixed e/ps.

Looks like Celestron are getting good ratings here. Any suggestions which model? I don't mind if its heavy. How do you think the Regal F-ED65 compares to Nikon ED82. I see Frank D has posted a good review of it. How about Celestron 80mm models?

All suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Martin.

Martin,

If you look throughout the thread you will see some supplementary comments of mine on the 80 mm version. The picture of the purple flowers on the first page was with the 80 mm Celestron as was the resolution testing near the end. I would highly recommend it for the price or even a bit more. The 65 mm is equally impressive but I have the Pentax 65 ED which works quite nicely with the Pentax XW 20 mm eyepiece for the type of hawkwatching I do with it.

Speaking of which the Pentax 65 might also be worthy of consideration as would the Minox 65 ED as well. I know some places online sell them for under $700 US with the standard zoom eyepieces. Not sure how close that is to the 400 you mentioned.

I've been taking my Kowa 823 abroad in my hand luggage for nigh on 10 years now, no mishaps as yet. I have personal effects insurance which specifies the scope for less than ten pounds on top of the standard insurance policy premium.
I pack the scope in a couple of large jiffy bags to protect it, the eyepiece sits in my pocket wrapped in another couple of jiffy bags.

I've been taking my Kowa 823 abroad in my hand luggage for nigh on 10 years now, no mishaps as yet. I have personal effects insurance which specifies the scope for less than ten pounds on top of the standard insurance policy premium.
I pack the scope in a couple of large jiffy bags to protect it, the eyepiece sits in my pocket wrapped in another couple of jiffy bags.

Yep, or failing jiffy bags, a couple of well placed beach towels have always done the job with my Zeiss 85. In hand luggage, mind you, would never check it in.

The jiffy bags are recycled from work, they'd be binned if I didn't take them.
Scope in one, which is wrapped around the scope body, then that little lot is popped into the second jiffy bag and good old rubber bands to stop it all from coming apart.
For a couple of years I used bubble wrap to pack the scope which worked brilliantly.

Hi all,

I am looking for a scope to take on birding holidays. There are the obvious Nikon ED50 & Opticron MM2 & MM2ED but when I say travel scope here, I don't necessarily mean small or light.

I have a Nikon ED82 and 30x DS eyepiece but I don't want to risk losing it as it would cost over £1000 to replace.
So what I'm after is a decent quality view for a low cost (say up to £400 max) so that if the scope gets damaged or stolen, I am not going to be too bothered and I'll still have my Nikon waiting at home.
I'd like to have a bit more light gathering than a 50mm and a decent view up to 30x mag at least. I don't mind zoom or fixed e/ps.

Looks like Celestron are getting good ratings here. Any suggestions which model? I don't mind if its heavy. How do you think the Regal F-ED65 compares to Nikon ED82. I see Frank D has posted a good review of it. How about Celestron 80mm models?

All suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Martin.

Interesting idea-buying a travel scope. The marketing of these compact scopes seems to imply that when on holiday, you don't need to carry (or can't because it will be impractical) your 'main scope' but instead you should pack a 'lesser scope' due to restrictions in luggage capacity with some airlines. This is what persuaded me to get one so that all possible needs for a scope are covered.

However, my experience has been that when going on holiday where there is a possibility of seeing some new/interseting birds, I want to take the best scope I can carry. Yes, I do own an ED50 (which was bought with such trips in mind, and a cracking little scope it is too!) but have never considered actually taking it abroad when I can (and do!) take my full size scope along instead. In such circumstances I want the best scope I can take with me which gives the best views and allows me to digiscope too if needed!

The ED50 always stays at home and is used for occasional cycling & walks where birding is a possibility but not the sole intention.

I agree with the idea of including the scope in your home insurance-which it probably is anyway.

Steve

I would considered bringing the ED50 with 13-40x zoom and 27x eyepiece for it for birding holidays and use the 27x eyepiece for digiscoping if opportunity arise hehehe.

From what I have seen, normally local guides has their own scopes (if you are birding with them), so you could enjoy the view of birds and other wildlife from their scopes. And by using your ED50, it saves your shoulder too when you walk for longer during birding.

I have been using my ED50 in the rain forest and for waders watching around the beach with birding groups, so far so good and it is even better with the zoom eyepiece :king:

I used my ED82 mostly for serious digiscoping and for short birding walk ;)

Another vote here for insuring your scope. Take the 82ED if small size really isn't a concern. Why own great optics if not to enjoy them in the great places to which you travel? Don't waste your money on something lesser than you already own. The only purchase I'd sanction is an ED50 with 27x eyepiece--that one is great any time you need a compact scope, whether while traveling or at home. Like the 82ED, it is a lifetime purchase. The 50ED 82ED combo will meet all your scoping needs now and ever after.

--AP

Greetings to all:

yes i believe alexis has hit on the perfect combo approach; an 82/50 deadly duo double shot! on recent trips to the neotropics, both ecuador and costa rica, i couldnt have been happier with the performance of the mini-mite Nikon, clad comfortably in it's Cley Spey soft case from across the great ditch... sporting a 27X at the business end, i never once felt i missed anything in the way of ultimate resolution and complete satisfaction. it's point and shoot from the hip capability, poised lightly on a ball and head manfrotto 'pod was lightening fast in ticking off tanagers in fast moving flocks. i brought the full on digiscoping rig, inlcluding a Nikon P5100, but just did not find the time or inclination to use the kit. i relied on the Sony A700 DSlR for photography.

i dont think you will gain much optically w/ the C FED-65 or 80. i have the 65 but did have to return the unit and am awaiting a replacement. first impressions were that it was very close to the Nikon 50, brighter but probably not better in terms of detail retrieval.

i agree w/ the posters above- insure the big Nikon, don't worry and just go for it. i also pack all my scopes/optical/ and camera gear in carry ons and have never had any trouble. heck, back in the day i would toss my Televue Pronto in a duffle, surround it w/ socks, shoes and underwear, and check it thru. not to be advised to be sure, but i never had any trouble with that method either!

regards,
UTC

Thanks everyone,

that's a lot more replies than I expected. Much food for thought.

I had given little thought to the insurance line of thought because last time I went abroad (Florida) I was given huge quotes for covering my optics, and they weren't as good as what I have now either. So I assumed the cost would be even higher now.
I'll look into it again I think.

As Alexis says "Why own great optics if not to enjoy them in the great places?"

It would be a big downer to be watching amazing new things knowing that you could be seeing them in greater detail if only you hadn't left the best optics at home.

Thanks again,
Martin.

I do have two scopes and the travel scope is cheaper. But it is also angled, allowing a lighter tripod. I recommend angled, cheap or not, for travel.

My "good" scope is straight.

I had given little thought to the insurance line of thought because last time I went abroad (Florida) I was given huge quotes for covering my optics, and they weren't as good as what I have now either. So I assumed the cost would be even higher now.
I'll look into it again I think.

I don't understand the need to take out separate insurance on optics if you have a household insurance policy (I assume you do).

All of my separate items are covered assuming no single item costs over £1000. I have the big scope body covered as a named item for £25 per year extra, though this is probably not really necessary. At the time of purchase it was about £1000 for the body, though if anything happened to it the insurance company would have to replace it new-for-old, even when the new ATM series bodies have completely replaced the old ATS. This would cost near double the initial outlay to replace. Quite an increase in 3 years!

Steve

Last edited:
I don't understand the need to take out separate insurance on optics if you have a household insurance policy (I assume you do)....

I can't speak to the situation outside the USA, but in this country it is true that home owner's or renter's insurance policies generally do provide some coverage for personal articles outside the home. You'll want to check the deductible, and it is a good idea to have proof of purchase/ownership for any items that you would want to be able to submit claims. I have a separate personal articles policy that covers, with no deductible, theft, loss, accidental damage etc for specific items. Annual cost of that policy is about 1% of the declared value of my gear.

--AP

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back