• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Impressions of the Bushnell Infinity 10.5x45 (1 Viewer)

John Dracon

John Dracon
Several months ago I purchased the Infinity 10.5x45 binocular. I have been comparing it to other highly regarded binoculars from time to time, although I have nothing in 10.5 power or 45mm objectives. These seem to me odd choices to incorporate into a binocular. That power/objectives choice does yield almost a 4.3 mm exit pupil, however.

Initial impressions are mixed: about 50% of the field is razor sharp. It then tends to fall off. A FOV of 299 feet is so, so. But this is simply the brightest (to my eyes) of any 10 power I have used. It is what I call a hybrid in construction. Part of it looks like the Swarovski EL allowing several fingers to encircle the barrels (but only several), and the focus ring pops up to reveal the diopter markings. It has an angular ridge on the top instead of being round. The composite covering is not really soft but quite firm.

It will focus down to 6.2 feet, and the eye relief is listed at 15.5 MM, although it allows eye glass wearers to easily see the whole field when the twist up eye cups are in the down position. The focus is fairly fast and silky smooth. At 25.5 ozs is has some heft. It has a quick detachable neck strap which may or may not be OK. The case shell is hard and affords good protection and can be closed with a two way nylon ziipper or a velcro flap which makes access easier.

Bushnell literature claims special phase coating. Of course it is waterproof and has rain guard on the lens.

This is not Bushnell's top glass, but it would be IMO a good entry glass for someone who wants 10 power and all the bells and whistles. Checking on ebay reveals quotes for "buy it now" ranging from $230 to $400, for NIB pieces. For $230 I consider it a vey good buy. Few people using this binocular would feel optically handicapped. After all at one 7th the price of an alpha binocular, who would?

IMO opinion this is a good example how the opitical industry has created good value for the money. I would welcome other comments from users of this particular binocular. Where is it made? China.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back