• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma E-Mount 30mm 2.8 (1 Viewer)

wueku

Here are a few photos with the Sigma 30mm 2.8. The lens is very sharp. Shooting with ISO200 / Swarovski 65HD / Sony Nex 5N. Manual focus.

Kurt

Attachments

• DSC01247-Blaumeise.jpg
    DSC01247-Blaumeise.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC01293-Feldsperling.jpg
    DSC01293-Feldsperling.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC01306-Haussperling.jpg
    DSC01306-Haussperling.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 244
Neil, autofocus is not possible with the Sigma.

Strange I tested one indoors in a store and it focused well with my NEX5 - still didn't ordered one just by some bureaucratic issues... Can you reconfirm this issue?
Is someone else using the Sigma in an "older" NEX5?

Hello David,

I've been using the Sigma 30mm f2.8 for a short while now on my NEX-7. I can use auto-focus but I tend to have it turned off and just use the scope to focus....it saves time. After-all the Nex series has "focus peaking" and also MF assist.

I've just checked an old NEX-5 with the lens. Body firmware 04, lens firmware 01 and auto focus works fine for me.

B Lucky

Gary

Thanks Gary,

I use MF assist but still didn't managed to update the Nex5 firmware to a version with "focus peaking"...
One my goals with the Sigma 30mm is to do videoscoping maintaining auto-focus. Do you do videoscoping? Can you confirm the auto-focus work well on videoscoping?
I do video using my astro-telescope combo with good results (e.g. see the video at http://www.pt-ducks.com/Fotos.htm#Marrequinha), but when birds move much isn't easy to stay with sharp focus...
Another interesting detail I noticed, in my indoor test, is that this lens seem not to vignette with the Baader zoom Mark I, in all magnifications - to confirm with the last Baader zoom versions...

David,

I've not done any videoscoping with the sigma lens. I'll give it a go and let you know, once I have time during daylight hours. I know the Nex has a continuous focus function, but wouldn't you require some sort of focus tracking for mobile birds? I could be wrong. I think continuous focus would mean you would have to keep your point of focus in the square that you have designated as your focus point.
I've no experience with the Baader adapter, I use Swarovski DCA......no vignetting with my adapter either.

B Lucky

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back