• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CFast 2 memory cards (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

Anyone any experience of buying one? Finding stockists isn't easy, in fact it's difficult! There are some competitive prices being offered on Ebay but I'm sceptical that they are as described...i.e. genuine Lexar. They seem too cheap to be true, there again I saved 20% on the price of my camera body buying from Hong Kong.

Hi Dave - I have been looking too, but have been put off more by cost than availability! Assume this is for a 1DxII. Like you, I am cautious about low internet prices, and would never buy such a critical component from eBay (been stung on a "genuine" 64GB micro SDHC card that was only 4GB) but there are quite a few on line UK companies I have used in the past including mymemory dot co dot uk and of course Amazon (but I only now buy direct from Amazon rather than their "associates") who sell CFast 2.0 cards at about 50% of RRP.

If you visit camerapricebuster.co.uk he has a good section comparing what I would call legitimate Cfast sellers which can sometimes throw up good offers.

Do you know anyone going to the States in the near future? B&H are £30 cheaper in the USA than the UK price.

Sorry it's not much help - I am just grateful(?!££££) that Canon offered the card and reader as part of the initial purchase price. I am just going to wait a while to see if prices come down.

Michael

FWIW I looked at this albeit a while back when upgrading to the new then 7d.
My conclusion then was that unless you know the write speed of your camera then you could be wasting your money. I also could not find that info in any literature supplied by the manufacturers or online at that time. It certainly would be helpful if such info could be found and a list made. Especially now, as I've got the 7D2. The transcend link was interesting. But wow the costs are seriously worrying. A card that's the cost of a decent lens??
Kind regards mike

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Mike, I haven't seen camerapricebuster before.
They show Park Cameras as the best price but still £229 for a 64GB card. If you use Park Cameras though shop through Topcashback and you get another 5% cashback.
I do have a 1DX2 and the only reason to get a CFast card is for 4K video and the 1DX is an excellent video camera from what I have seen of mine so far.Much better than anything I have seen from Canon before, particularly the touch screen focus and face recognition. Would be nice to be able to lift images from the video as a still too although it might not be as easy as it sounds as far as getting sharp images.

Dave - just as an aside - I have found the performance with a 2x MkIII extender on my 600 f4 and 1DXII is far superior to that on my 1Dx.

Dave - just as an aside - I have found the performance with a 2x MkIII extender on my 600 f4 and 1DXII is far superior to that on my 1Dx.

I must admit I haven't really noticed as I haven't been out that much since I got the new body. The the fact you can choose any one of the 61 AF points at f8 has to be a big advantage for framing the subject though and when you use all the points it's able to track BIF far more easily too.
Overall I'm more than happy with the upgrade to the 1DX2 as it has a silent shutter mode which is much better than the 1DX had and I think the video is really good too.

The write speed on both is exactly the same so there isn't a difference when it comes to recording performance. I have bought cards from Ebay at cheap prices in the past and they turned out to be counterfeit. Two out of the three failed at some stage. Amazon themselves no longer sell the older 64GB card, only the new one. There is an offer on their site which is £35 cheaper but it's not supplied by Amazon but what appears to be a Chinese dealer.
At the price it's not worth the risk of failure.

Hmm... you are probably right, the price is suspiciously low, so it is wise to resist.

The Lexar (64GB) priced at £165 is said to have a write speed of 445MB/s, while the Transcend (128GB) at £162 is listed with 370 MB/s.

I had no idea how fast a card for 4K video has to be. Someone at dpreview claims that "according to the numbers on page 334 of the 7D2 manual the biggest video format would be handled by a card with 12 MB/s write speed." Seems a bit low, why would Lexar produce these super-fast cards if they are not really better in practice?

Last edited:
I currently have Lexar 800x which have a write speed of 45mbs sec and for 4k video they work for about 2 seconds before switching off. The 1066x has a write speed of 95mbs/sec so I doubt they are much better.
The latter sells for £149 at WEX so the CFast card is for £165 a bit of a bargain from Amazon after all. You have made me feel better that I have now ordered one!
The 12mb/sec mentioned in Dpreview is probably referring to the biggest format that a 7D2 uses.The 7D2 doesn't record 4K video though.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back