• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Televid 82 mm (1 Viewer)

Pagophila

I've heard that Leica is introducing the new Televid 82mm in September 06. Does anyone know if the old eye pieces will fit the new scope?

Regards from Pagophila

Pagophila said:
I've heard that Leica is introducing the new Televid 82mm in September 06. Does anyone know if the old eye pieces will fit the new scope?

Regards from Pagophila

Haven't heard anything definate,but i was pretty sure a new televid was due.Have you any definate news on this or is it a rumour? I'm thinking of a new large scope but may wait a few months if a new leica is about to be unveiled.
Tom.

tom24 said:
Haven't heard anything definate,but i was pretty sure a new televid was due.Have you any definate news on this or is it a rumour? I'm thinking of a new large scope but may wait a few months if a new leica is about to be unveiled.
Tom.

Hi again!
I've got the info about the 82 from a source that have a position that give him reliable info. I wouldn't ask in this fora if I belived it was just a rumor. I am sure that there are people "out there" who knows more, but it's maybe not yet the right time to reveal it. Maybe we should just wait for official facts from the producer.

Regards from Pagophila

javva said:
Out buying a new tripod at a well respected shop in my region a few months back. Talking scopes and that I was thinking of investing in the larger Televid APO 77. I was recommended to wait a while longer as Leica may have a (80mm) scope in the pipe!

Then there's this...................

http://www.impactguns.com/store/799429401085.html

The Impact guns post is a misprint, that is pricing for a 62 scope.

I was recently at the ShotShow where they show ALL the sports optics and everything that will be coming and no mention of an 82. Sorry

Re: “The Impact guns post is a misprint that is pricing for a 62 scope”.

I figured as much.

Still consider my info with regards to a new 80mm scope in development is sound though. If push comes to shove, I’ll write and ask Leica!!!!

javva said:
Re: “The Impact guns post is a misprint that is pricing for a 62 scope”.

I figured as much.

Still consider my info with regards to a new 80mm scope in development is sound though. If push comes to shove, I’ll write and ask Leica!!!!

Now is the time to ask as Leica is having an R&D meeting next month in Germany about possible new products

I can confirm through a reputable Leica Shop in London UK that development is way under way for a release by the end of this year.
At first it was going to possibly be announced at The British Bird Fair in August but has been held back - typically Leica from experiences.
The Eyepieces for 62mm and 77mm will be able to work on the new model (same size as current 62mm body),
and will also have a new set of eyepieces, so unlike the 62mm losing on the 20-60mm zoom making it 16 - 48x that it will have a zoom that works like the 77mm model (20-60mm)
Hope this helps.
I personally cannot wait for this , it will be a great companion as like the 62mm I have currently - but better light for digiscoping and light emmisions.

nigelr said:
I can confirm through a reputable Leica Shop in London UK that development is way under way for a release by the end of this year.
At first it was going to possibly be announced at The British Bird Fair in August but has been held back - typically Leica from experiences.
The Eyepieces for 62mm and 77mm will be able to work on the new model (same size as current 62mm body),
and will also have a new set of eyepieces, so unlike the 62mm losing on the 20-60mm zoom making it 16 - 48x that it will have a zoom that works like the 77mm model (20-60mm)
Hope this helps.
I personally cannot wait for this , it will be a great companion as like the 62mm I have currently - but better light for digiscoping and light emmisions.

I have spoken with Leica here in the USA and yes, it is definitely in the works, however, I think it will be shown here @ the January Optics show in Florida.
The zoom eyepiece that is a 16-48x on a 62 tube and 20-60x on a 77 tube should be slightly stronger (maybe 21-63x) on an 82 tube

nigelr said:
Hope this helps.

Again, this is as much as I know:-
Yes, there is development on a new 80mm or higher OG telescope but it is not ready for production and will not be announced or unveiled at this years British Birdwatching fair. Naturally one would expect the lenses currently available to fit the new model - all the other major brands do - whilst I personally would not hold my breadth on seeing this new item until Spring 2007!

would be interesting to see if leica has made an effort to make this new scope
a bit lighter than their current big gun.their apo model 77 is quite a pig to carry around,wonder how much an 82? might weigh in at?

matt

gr8fuldoug said:
The zoom eyepiece that is a 16-48x on a 62 tube and 20-60x on a 77 tube should be slightly stronger (maybe 21-63x) on an 82 tube

The magnification that the eyepeice gives is related to the focal length of the scope, not the size of the objective. From what I've heard the new scope will have the same focal length as the 62, so eth eyepice will work as they do in that scope. There has been talk for sometime that Leica will be producing a new zoom that gives 20-60 on the 62, so I guess this will arrive at the same time as the new scope.

matt green said:
would be interesting to see if leica has made an effort to make this new scope a bit lighter than their current big gun.their apo model 77 is quite a pig to carry around,wonder how much an 82? might weigh in at?

I assume weight will be the biggest change as the APO77 is about as good as it gets optically, the big problem for many users is the weight. I have heard talk that the new scope will be similar in weight to the 62... if so I expect it will be very popular.

postcardcv said:
The magnification that the eyepeice gives is related to the focal length of the scope, not the size of the objective. From what I've heard the new scope will have the same focal length as the 62, so eth eyepice will work as they do in that scope. There has been talk for sometime that Leica will be producing a new zoom that gives 20-60 on the 62, so I guess this will arrive at the same time as the new scope.

I assume weight will be the biggest change as the APO77 is about as good as it gets optically, the big problem for many users is the weight. I have heard talk that the new scope will be similar in weight to the 62... if so I expect it will be very popular.
Don't think I can justify swapping my APO77 and probably a grand for the sake of a couple of pounds in weight,time will tell!!

i wonder if we will see old model 77 televids being sold off at half price at warehouse express...probably not?

matt

matt green said:
i wonder if we will see old model 77 televids being sold off at half price at warehouse express...probably not?

matt

in your dreams mate... mine too...

I very much doubt this will happen, I don't think Leica have large stocks of 77's sitting around. But I'm sure tha tthere will be a flood of them onto the secondhand market, and no doubt at good prices too.

postcardcv said:
in your dreams mate... mine too...

I very much doubt this will happen, I don't think Leica have large stocks of 77's sitting around. But I'm sure tha tthere will be a flood of them onto the secondhand market, and no doubt at good prices too.

Are you sure? The Televid APO 77 is optically the best, imho, and on occassion a new model isn't as good as its predecessor.......ULTRAVID/TRINOVID.

PYRTLE said:
Are you sure? The Televid APO 77 is optically the best, imho, and on occassion a new model isn't as good as its predecessor.......ULTRAVID/TRINOVID.
Ultravid worse than Trinovid???

It wouldn't be difficult with new technologies to improve on the Apo 77 - light transmission on the Ultravids shows that much. Lighter materials, too would be a major advance - they could follow Nikon in folding the light better, too, to make a more compact scope.

PYRTLE said:

I'm fond of the current model too.

If the rumours are true that the new large scope will have a shorter focal length, I also wonder if it will perform optically as well as the current model. As you know the shorter the focal length, the harder it is to make a good optic, for a given objective size. But, then again, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Not that I'm hungry.

Leif

Leif said:
If the rumours are true that the new large scope will have a shorter focal length, I also wonder if it will perform optically as well as the current model. As you know the shorter the focal length, the harder it is to make a good optic, for a given objective size.
But if the 20-60x zoom becomes 21-63x on the new scope, wouldn't this mean that the new objective has a longer focal length?

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back