• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Televid 82 mm (1 Viewer)

iporali said:
But if the 20-60x zoom becomes 21-63x on the new scope, wouldn't this mean that the new objective has a longer focal length?

Ilkka

I think the figure of 21-63x was speculation - I don't think anyone yet knows exactly what Leica will be producing.

Yep, without doubt imo, rubbish focus system due to their expanding "washer" designed to allow movement at a range of temperatures nylon washer - this on occassion allows a bit of take up play when focusing. Irritating and yes, petty, but at my age I'm allowed to be grumpy.
Yep, brighter but the 42mm I looked through at had terrible colour fringing..what else, irritating raised rubber bits, designed to put your thumbs in the right place - not for me matey. I loved my Trinovid 8x42BA even though a bit heavy.
On the plus side.....mmmm good flat field image, sharp, excellent lifelike colour, very good aftersales service on the only occassion I had a problem.

(slightly blue)
scampo said:
Ultravid worse than Trinovid???

It wouldn't be difficult with new technologies to improve on the Apo 77 - light transmission on the Ultravids shows that much. Lighter materials, too would be a major advance - they could follow Nikon in folding the light better, too, to make a more compact scope.

iporali said:
But if the 20-60x zoom becomes 21-63x on the new scope, wouldn't this mean that the new objective has a longer focal length?

Ilkka

It depends which rumours are correct. Leif

PYRTLE said:
Yep, without doubt imo, rubbish focus system due to their expanding "washer" designed to allow movement at a range of temperatures nylon washer - this on occassion allows a bit of take up play when focusing. Irritating and yes, petty, but at my age I'm allowed to be grumpy.
Yep, brighter but the 42mm I looked through at had terrible colour fringing..what else, irritating raised rubber bits, designed to put your thumbs in the right place - not for me matey. I loved my Trinovid 8x42BA even though a bit heavy.
On the plus side.....mmmm good flat field image, sharp, excellent lifelike colour, very good aftersales service on the only occassion I had a problem.

(slightly blue)
Bang on. I only kept my 8x42 Ultravids a week the CA was unbearable,optically the early BAs beat all the later Leica bins.
...................................................................fiddler

postcardcv said:
I assume weight will be the biggest change as the APO77 is about as good as it gets optically, the big problem for many users is the weight. I have heard talk that the new scope will be similar in weight to the 62... if so I expect it will be very popular.

Are we not expecting a bit too much? The 62 is itself a rather light-weight construction. So how would a 82 or so be able to get into that weight class? By the use of plastic lenses or by forsaking the basic durability/reliability we all expect from Leica and the other top brands? And anything below the optical quality of the 77 would hardly find an open market, regardless of weight. It's certainly going to be an interesting thing to wait for, but I am also not really "hungry" yet.

Swissboy said:
Are we not expecting a bit too much? The 62 is itself a rather light-weight construction. So how would a 82 or so be able to get into that weight class? By the use of plastic lenses or by forsaking the basic durability/reliability we all expect from Leica and the other top brands? And anything below the optical quality of the 77 would hardly find an open market, regardless of weight. It's certainly going to be an interesting thing to wait for, but I am also not really "hungry" yet.

The Televid 77 was designed many years ago, and in the intervening period manufacturing techniques and glass must have improved. Swarovski managed to produce a much lighter scope. One innovation in other products is the use of carbon fibre, titanium and diecast magnesium. And then of course computer fabrication of optics, the use of more exotic glasses, and exotic elements such as moulded aspherics, and diffractive optics have become availble.

In any case, I think there are a few improvements that could be made in addition to weight reduction. A smaller size, and the ability to use 1.25" eyepieces would be nice.

But I for one would be surprised if it was worth 'upgrading' from the original Televid though hard core birders might, and why not.

Leif

Leif said:
The Televid 77 was designed many years ago, and in the intervening period manufacturing techniques and glass must have improved. Swarovski managed to produce a much lighter scope. One innovation in other products is the use of carbon fibre, titanium and diecast magnesium. And then of course computer fabrication of optics, the use of more exotic glasses, and exotic elements such as moulded aspherics, and diffractive optics have become availble.

In any case, I think there are a few improvements that could be made in addition to weight reduction. A smaller size, and the ability to use 1.25" eyepieces would be nice.

But I for one would be surprised if it was worth 'upgrading' from the original Televid though hard core birders might, and why not.

Leif

Well, as I said, I am not hungry YET. It's up to Leica to whet my appetite! :bounce:

Swissboy said:
Well, as I said, I am not hungry YET. It's up to Leica to whet my appetite! :bounce:
And, you know what, Robert - if anyone can, Leica can. Good old Ernst Leitz. He'd be proud of his company (if they can keep in the black!).

Time as ticked on since the last posting and I was wandering if there has been any word about a new scope yet?

javva said:
Time as ticked on since the last posting and I was wandering if there has been any word about a new scope yet?
I would believe that if these are happening anytime in the near future they would be announced/shown @ the ShotShow in January.

gr8fuldoug said:
javva said:
I would believe that if these are happening anytime in the near future they would be announced/shown @ the ShotShow in January.

Leica might also grab the opportunity of a home show. As far as I know, there is a Photokina this fall.

I think the new scope was put on the back burner with the serious financial situation Leica were in. With this largely resolved, I'd expect it next year... the recent Birdfair in the U.K. would've been a prime launch venue if it were to appear on the market this year, Shotshow is a likely venue for a release early next year but I'd guess next years Birdfair more likely.
Still, maybe they have other priorities.

New Leica scopes 82 mm and 65 mm

I also have heard that besides the new 82 mm there is to be a new 65 mm !!
perhaps this will bring the zoom to 20 to 60? to compete with the Swaro 65

On the subject of objective diameter Kowa's new scopes are 77 and 88 so looks like they are outsmarting Leica. Of course all comes down to price as well, with Zeiss creeping closer to Swaro prices, buying is getting expensive. As for Leica I trust they will sort out their customer service, to many examples of bad service recorded here on the forum.

Robert L Jarvis said:
On the subject of objective diameter Kowa's new scopes are 77 and 88 so looks like they are outsmarting Leica. Of course all comes down to price as well, with Zeiss creeping closer to Swaro prices, buying is getting expensive.

Those larger objective diameters are not just a benefit. They also mean more weight and volume. An important consideration for anyone who likes to travel a bit more than just locally. But I guess that just opens the market a bit more for us all "having" to buy a second scope. The biggie for local or with-the-car observing/travels. A smaller one to take on a plane. Looks like that is the way how the optics companies make sure we keep buying scopes even when being equipped with top models.

It is true that people generally prefer lighter weight. However, according to the published specs, the Kowa 883 body weighs no more than 1530 grammes. This is less than the current 77mm Leica Apo or 82mm Nikon ED, only marginally more than the 85mm Zeiss Diascope, and certainly within the range people are accustomed to. Those for whom minimising weight is the highest priority will buy a smaller scope anyway. Those who prioritize optical performance will choose what they consider the best from among the larger models. A majority of the birders I know in the latter group are willing to carry a scope the size of the current 80-85mm crop quite happily, but become concerned about weight and bulk with something the size of the Opticron ES 100 ED or the older Optolyth 100mm scope. I personally think that the first premium 100mm scope to break the 2kg barrier without appearing flimsy or plasticky will generate a fair amount of interest.

At the same time, I'm glad that there are top-quality 50-70mm scopes for those who really want to cut the weight.

Kimmo

kabsetz said:
It is true that people generally prefer lighter weight. However, according to the published specs, the Kowa 883 body weighs no more than 1530 grammes. This is less than the current 77mm Leica Apo or 82mm Nikon ED, only marginally more than the 85mm Zeiss Diascope, and certainly within the range people are accustomed to. Those for whom minimising weight is the highest priority will buy a smaller scope anyway. Those who prioritize optical performance will choose what they consider the best from among the larger models. A majority of the birders I know in the latter group are willing to carry a scope the size of the current 80-85mm crop quite happily, but become concerned about weight and bulk with something the size of the Opticron ES 100 ED or the older Optolyth 100mm scope. I personally think that the first premium 100mm scope to break the 2kg barrier without appearing flimsy or plasticky will generate a fair amount of interest.

At the same time, I'm glad that there are top-quality 50-70mm scopes for those who really want to cut the weight.

Kimmo

Hi Kimmo, I agree with you that people are willing to carry a heavier scope if they can expect better performance. I was only trying to say, that the bigger is better notion will have a upper limit. I am still happy with my APO 77, but I would buy a newer scope of similar weight if it clearly provided more. However, I think anything above the weight of the present Leica 77 would only find very limited interest. So the competition for higher performance will probably be limited within the weight range below.

I think one really has to consider what it is one wants from the scope. If it is just for birding then yes, one perhaps need not go to the very limit, after for example a Swaro 65, or Zeiss, Leica of the same give excellent images. But if you like digiscoping then that is a different matter, light is of paramount importance to get good shots for various reasons. To get good light, it comes down of course to APO, ED whatever you want to call it but most important is the size of the objective and that is where the bigger scopes score together with a good eyepiece. So you makes your choice for your needs and pays your money.

Quoted today - "new models of the Televid range to be introduced.......sample model at this year's UK Birdfair"

Don't shoot the messenger!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back