• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LEICA APO 62 Vs. Non-APO 77 (1 Viewer)

bunny

Which is better? APO optics in a small scope or a non-APO large diameter scope?

I know there is a new model out next year but the question is still relevant.

Only way to find out is to try them both.

Basically the APO version is specifically designed to minimize chromatic aberration whereas the non-APO isn't.

A lot of people are sensitive to C.A and find it very distracting whilst other people aren't. If you're aware of green/purple fringing in high contrast situations when using your binoculars I'd go for the 62mm APO. Likewise if planning on digiscoping the APO lens will produce a crisper image. The 77mm scope lets in more light and for some people is definitely the better choice.

If you're looking for value for money might be worth hanging on until the latest large Leica scope is released and the prices drop on the APO 77mm.

Note: The larger Nikon ED scope is worth considering instead of the non APO Leica 77mm

Thanks IK.

Now I wonder will Leica release a green rubber armour version of the new Televid? The Televid APO models are expected to be available for delivery from April 2008. But apparently only in black rubber armour. Green would be really neat.

Also, re: APO or HD versions - for me, I've never noticed any CA on my Leica 8x42BR Ultravids. If I was to get the leica scope, it would be for a desire to have 'the best' and aovid any feelings of inferiority from having the HD rather than the APO version. This seems silly, but I suspect it applies to many birders! Am I wrong? Surely I wouldn't be disappointed with the optical performance of the Leica Televid 82 HD scope?

Is the extra few hundred pounds (at least) worth it for a barely noticeable increase in optical performance?

I see that Leica are releasing the APO versions before the HD, no doubt to get as many peeps as possible to buy the APO before releasing the HD.

Last edited:
Any takers?:cat:

What ikw101 said!

You really need to go to a shop which has viewing facilities, or a field day at a nature reserve run by a shop. And if you make a choice, buy from them.

Personally I would go for the APO each time, but I am not you, and that might be bad advice for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back