• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hound Point (1 Viewer)

Birdspotter

Today at Hound Point I had an excellent end to the weekend although it didnt quite start off so good.
After a leisurely start I arrived on site at 12.00 for some Skua watching, however the sea haar was rolling in right up the Forth to obscure the bridges.
With visibility very poor down to a few hundred yards I had to make do with the odd Skua appearing out of the mist for the first 3 hours.
I hung on for so long because the wind was force 6-7 and in the east, prime Hound Point weather.
Lots of birds could be seen trying to get back out the Forth these included Gannets, Fulmars and Kittiwakes along with the odd Bonxie or Arctic Skua to keep the interest going.
At around three in the afternoon the mist cleared to an extent that I could at least see some of the islands and landmarks offshore, this resulted in a pulse of Skuas heading west including one fine adult Long Tail.
It gave superb views as it flew close past the headland, however the bird of the day was a lone Sooty Shearwater that was first observed way out in the Forth before it headed right past us !
Sooty are very rare this far up the Forth, a friend of mine who literally has hundreds of hours at Hound Point has only ever seen them twice before there.
This was a Hound Point tick for myself :bounce:
The days tally was 19 Bonxies,15 arctics, 1 Long Tail, 1 Sooty and 26 Manx.

Not a bad haul.
I crossed the bridge into Lothian about 13:30 yesterday, thought about Hound Point 'cos of the Easterlies & was put off by the poorish visibility-went to Aberlady & Ferny Ness instead. Obviously the wrong choice -highlight was 7 distant Red-Necked Grebes but little else- would much rather have had the Skuas & Sooty! ;)

Who knows Steve with this poor weather we are having I wouldnt be too surprised that a few more Skuas arrive.
But at least you made one good choice though, you crossed into Lothian ;)

Birdspotter said:
Who knows Steve with this poor weather we are having I wouldnt be too surprised that a few more Skuas arrive.
But at least you made one good choice though, you crossed into Lothian ;)
Haaa!
On the subject of Lothian -I was looking for the site of the new SOC headquarters at Aberlady but couldn't see any obvious building site (I was assuming it will have a clear view of the shore but perhaps it doesn't). Do you have any idea where they plan to build it (& will it have a creche so I can dump the kids & do some decent birding ;) )?

Steve G said:
Haaa!
On the subject of Lothian -I was looking for the site of the new SOC headquarters at Aberlady but couldn't see any obvious building site (I was assuming it will have a clear view of the shore but perhaps it doesn't). Do you have any idea where they plan to build it (& will it have a creche so I can dump the kids & do some decent birding ;) )?

As far as I am aware building work has not started yet although it will soon.
The building will be situated off the main Edin-Aberlady road just as you come in to aberlady but thats about all i know on this subject as Im not a member.
Perhaps you might get more info on the SOC website.
As far as a creche goes I think you may be struggling there but the Aberlady/Gullane areas have excellent beaches you could always chuck the wife and kids there for an hour or six. er sorry two.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back