• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mounting a Small Telescope on Manfrotto 701HDV (1 Viewer)

venkatp

Can Manfrotto 701HDV Handle a Small Telescope?

Hi. I am looking at using a small telescope with Manfrotto 701HDV for astronomy and birding. Need your advice whether the head can handle the telescope.

Dimensions and weight of the telescope are as follows:
Weight: 2.5kg / 5.5lb; Length: 500mm / 20 inches; Diameter: 102mm / 4 inches

I own a bridge camera, and have never used a camera tripod. I am unable to completely understand the specs of the head. I would like you to help me with the following:

1. Can the head hold the balance if the telescope is tilted 80 degrees up?

2. Will the head allow me to pan and tilt the telescope diagonally by a fraction with ease (even at 80 degrees)? I do not mind unlocking and locking between the adjustments.

Thank you so much for your help. If 701HDV is not up to it, would you recommend 501HDV? I would prefer 701HDV as it is lighter and cheaper.

Thanks,
Venkat

Last edited:
Venkat,

I have no personal experience with astronomical scopes but doubt that the 701HDV would be suitable for your intended use, as it lacks a counterbalance spring.
At high inclinations the scope is going to put a high moment on the scope head because its centre of gravity is so far away from the pivot axis of the head.
The 501HDV would be a better compromise as it has a counterbalance spring rated for 2,5 kg and I know of one BF member who uses one with a 100 mm astronomical scope. I have PMd him.
Even better would be a small alt-azimuth mount, which enables you to put the centre of gravity of the scope near the pivot axis of the mount.
Have a look at these: http://www.desertskyastro.com/DSV-M.html

John

Hi Venkat, Welcome to Birdforum. I have an Orion 100ED refractor I use with an older Manfrotto 501 HD head, the newer model would be the 501 HDV with counterbalance spring, I don't think mine has this spring. I have used this set to take some pictures of the night sky. It worked. The Orion scope is longer than what you posted about , it is about 34 inches, not sure of the weight.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=291192&d=1288573985

I took this photo of the Moon with this setup.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=313617&d=1300541378

John has a very good idea about the alt-azimuth mount, that might be better than the other option. My tripod is Manfrotto 475B type. I do have a heavy alt-azimuth mount as well.

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=291193&d=1288574021

Last edited:
I have the Universal Astronomics UniStar Basic mount on a surveyors tripod. It is a lot more stable than the 501/475B set up for night sky use. Heavier of course. If you notice my picture of the 100 ED mounted on the head, I use rings to slide the scope back and forth to help balance.

Hi John and Steve, thanks very much for your responses. I had already seen your set-up while digging the forum :) I would love to have one of those alt-az mounts, but unfortunately they are not available in our region.

701hdv seems to have counterbalance spring for 1.5kg; it may still not be sufficient. I have come across MVH500AH in the last few days with 5kg capacity and a counterbalance spring for 2.4kg; weighs only 930g. Wondering if this works for me. I think I will go for either MVH500AH or 501HDV.

Regards,
Venkat

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back