• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID Please (1 Viewer)

spmontgomery

I wondered why the vicinity was so quiet until this suddenly came out of the bushes, catching me by surprise.

Is it a ........ No, I won't say what I think it is this time!

Shaun

Attachments

• Raptor.jpg
    Raptor.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 189
Andrew Whitehouse said:
Initial impression is Goshawk, although I'm a bit hesitant to say for sure from this one picture. Is that what you were thinking?

Well, my first thought was a Sparrowhawk. Can I just make out pale bars on the tail?

Shaun

Well-built female Sparrowhawk.
The flanks appear barred (??) rather than streaked -so not an imm. Gos whilst the barring is not the fine barring seen on adult female Gos.

Photographs of birds flying away from the camera like this image always give the impression of a deeper chest & greater bulk. I have a few pics of female Sparrowhawk taken from my garden which resemble this image closely.

Last edited:
Steve,
Your observation on the impression of bigger size when the bird is viewed while flying away from the observer is well taken. My instinctive first guess when I saw the picture was also "goshawk." That and the information volunteered that "it came out of the bushes." I've been taken by surprise by them in that manner quite a few times over the years, here in NE Pennsylvania.
Bob

Last edited:
James Lowther said:
where was it??

goshawk pretty scarce in dorset...

Yes, the last one reported here (locality of Christchurch harbour) was 16th September, having first been spotted on 1st September.

Shaun

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back