• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest Which ONE? (1 Viewer)

FIELDBIRD

The eagle optics website has the Zeiss Conquest B T* for sale 769 dollars on sale. Does any one know what the difference is between the Conquest B T*, The Conquest B T* P*, and The Conquest ABK are? Very confusing. Any one have comparisons to the Nikon SE?

Below is a link to the item that E.O. is selling/ mentioned. Are the B T* Phase corrected? Or does it need to have P* in the title?

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4210

Thank you.

Eagle's link above says the 8 x 40 B T* has phase coating on the Abbe-Koenig prisms. Looks like a good buy!
Bob

Last edited:
I cannot access the Eagle Optics website here at work but I am fairly certain that the Conquest line of bins offers phase coated prisms. The difference between the Conquests and Conquest ABKs is in the type of prisms they utilize. The conventional Conquests use Schmidt Pechan prisms while the Conquest ABKs utilize Abbe-Koenig prisms. The ABK prisms allow for greater light transmission, I believe, because light is reflected off of one less surface within the prism design.

The models listed for $769 is the ABK version. Cabelas has them listed for the same sales price. The 8x30s are now on sale for $469 as well. Great little bins for the price in my opinion. I haven't found another roof prism in that price range that matches it for a sharp clear image over the central 2/3rds of the view.

FrankD said:
I cannot access the Eagle Optics website here at work but I am fairly certain that the Conquest line of bins offers phase coated prisms. The difference between the Conquests and Conquest ABKs is in the type of prisms they utilize. The conventional Conquests use Schmidt Pechan prisms while the Conquest ABKs utilize Abbe-Koenig prisms. The ABK prisms allow for greater light transmission, I believe, because light is reflected off of one less surface within the prism design.

The models listed for $769 is the ABK version. Cabelas has them listed for the same sales price. The 8x30s are now on sale for $469 as well. Great little bins for the price in my opinion. I haven't found another roof prism in that price range that matches it for a sharp clear image over the central 2/3rds of the view.

How come some are listed as Conquest B T* P* or Conquest B T*? There has to be a difference between the T* and the T* P* version, right? Weird. Thank you very much for the explanation. Did not find the ABK in the title on the E.O. website.

Thanks again.

Eagle's website says that the Sale priced 8 x 30 B T* has pechan prisms while the sale priced 8 x 40 B T* have abbe-koenig prism's. They both have a 360' FOV. Apparently the Conquest uses different prism's in different formats.?!

Bob

ceasar said:
Eagle's website says that the Sale priced 8 x 30 B T* has pechan prisms while the sale priced 8 x 40 B T* have abbe-koenig prism's. They both have a 360' FOV. Apparently the Conquest uses different prism's in different formats.?!

Bob

I understand they have a different prisms but what about the P*? I' ve seen some Conquest 8x40 with T and TP?

FIELDBIRD said:
I understand they have a different prisms but what about the P*? I' ve seen some Conquest 8x40 with T and TP?

Can't help you there! You'll probably have to go to Zeiss's Web Site to get interpretations for the initials on the various binoculars. But Eagle makes it clear that both the 8 x 30 and 8 x 40 Conquests they have sale priced have phase coated prisms.
Bob

As per the press release on the Zeiss website:

Zeiss Announces Extension of Premium
Conquest Binocular Series Downloads and Links

Chester, 01/28/2005. CHESTER, Va., January 28, 2005 – Carl Zeiss Sports Optics announces the addition of 40 mm binoculars to its premium Conquest binocular line. The new Conquest 8x40 T* (T Star) and 10x40 T* binoculars join the Conquest 8x30 T*, 10x30 T*, 12x45 T* and
15x45 T* in this series known for its exceptional price-performance ratio and ability to meet demanding hunters’ needs.

The new 40mm binoculars, with the acclaimed Zeiss T* anti-reflective multi-coating on all glass-to-air surfaces, also feature Zeiss’s proprietary Abbe-König prisms – a first for binoculars in this attractive price range. With P* (P Star) phase correction coating and total reflectance properties, Abbe-König prisms produce the smallest possible light loss resulting in brilliant images with razor sharp contrast and accurate color reproduction. The four-lens objective,
high eye-point eyepieces and wide field of view also enhance optical performance.

This same general question has come up before, both here on Birdforum, and in my discussions with other bino nuts. It is my recollection (without talikng the time to actually look at my old catalogues) that the P* designation was not added (even though the coating had already been in use for several years) to Zeiss products until around the time Bausch & Lomb added, with MUCH advertising fanfare, phase coating to the Elite line in ~1992 (Likewise, I certainly remember that Leica did not actively promote/advertise its use of phase coatings until after Bausch & Lomb made them such a promotional feature). There was a period of several years during which not all Zeiss roof-prism models had P* coatings (e.g. the pocket models), so it was an important designation. It has been my observation that Zeiss seems to want to get away from using the P* label now that it no longer makes any roof prisms without phase coatings. To the best of my recollection, it was when the Diafun was released that the company stopped using the P* label on (at least some, if not all) new models even though they all have P* coatings.
--AP

Phase coating was introduced by Zeiss in 1988. All roof prism binoculars since 1988 have P coating. P* or P are the same thing.

mak said:
Phase coating was introduced by Zeiss in 1988. All roof prism binoculars since 1988 have P coating. P* or P are the same thing.

I knew P coating was introduced by Zeiss in 1988 but I had forgotten that it was applied to all its roof-prism models at that time. My apologies to Zeiss and to the forum for writing a post based on such hazy recollection. Guess I was blurring my memory of Zeiss with Leica, which didn't phase coat its pocket roofs until ~1996. But on what models and during what time period did Zeiss put a P* label on the binos themselves (I can't tell this from catalogs easily)? Did the Design Selection / Night Owl line have the P* label? Maybe it was only the Classics since they were the only models that were produced prior to the introduction of phase coatings.
--AP

Alexis Powell said:
I knew P coating was introduced by Zeiss in 1988 but I had forgotten that it was applied to all its roof-prism models at that time. My apologies to Zeiss and to the forum for writing a post based on such hazy recollection. Guess I was blurring my memory of Zeiss with Leica, which didn't phase coat its pocket roofs until ~1996. But on what models and during what time period did Zeiss put a P* label on the binos themselves (I can't tell this from catalogs easily)? Did the Design Selection / Night Owl line have the P* label? Maybe it was only the Classics since they were the only models that were produced prior to the introduction of phase coatings.
--AP

Design Selection / Night Owls had P coating.

mak said:
Design Selection / Night Owls had P coating.

Right, because as noted above, all roof prisms produced by Zeiss after 1988 had phase coating. My question is, given that they were the first line of Zeiss bino models introduced after the introduction of phase coating, I am curious whether they were LABELED with the P* on the bino itself, or whether Zeiss dropped the label from all new bino lines (Design Selection/Night Owl, Victory, Diafun, Victory FL, Conquest, Conquest ABK) from that point forward, and used the label only on Classic units to distinguish them from pre-1988 production units.
--AP

I have a Zeiss brochure from 2000 with a photo of a pair of the original non-FL Victory 8x56's. On the back side close to the hinge (same place the FL is labeled) it is labeled 8x56BT*P*. My FL's are labeled 8x42T*FL. I suppose it has reached the point where using every Zeiss suffix would be too much. My binoculars would be 8x42B/GAT*P*FL. ;-)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back