• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (4 Viewers)

colonelboris said:
ah, my mistake...

But still with the MMinNY idea.

No argument there sir. The point above is that the statement was made that they are NOT synonymous - period - end of story.

Then, the thesaurus is plain wrong - period - end of story.

This is simply not so.

humminbird said:
Again, it is wrong cause I say it is wrong. GIVE ME A BREAK.

If you want to be correct, then you can be correct. Doesn't matter to me.

I used to teach language. Wittgenstein said the meaning of a word is in its usage...

an ounce of sense is telling everyone on this thread bar you that evidence and proof are not the same thing / synonymous (or even synonomous!!!)

what's a tomatoe anyway? I want one

Tim

I also thought i should post that m-w entry for all to see:

an outward sign : INDICATION b : something that furnishes proof : TESTIMONY; specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter

mmm....

Tim Allwood said:

an outward sign : INDICATION b : something that furnishes proof : TESTIMONY; specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter

mmm....

Thesaurus sir. NOT DICTIONARY.

Tim Allwood said:

mmm....

Synonyms attestation, confirmation, corroboration, documentation, EVIDENCE, substantiation, testament, testimony, validation, witness

Hmmmm indeed!

okay

here's the m-w thesaurus entry

Entry Word: evidence
Function: noun
Text: something presented in support of the truth or accuracy of a claim <do you have any evidence that this bike is yours?> -- see

Does anyone else think they are synonymous?

Tim

MMinNY said:
Something can be both evidence and proof, but evidence is not necessarily proof. The Luneau video is a case in point. To be a little simplistic about it: the video is evidence; the furore is about whether it's proof and/or what it "proves".

that's it for me on this (You're right Colonel, it's an amazingly sloppy piece of work)

but i do understand now why a lot of Americans think IBWO had been proved to exist. You only need some evidence. It's the same thing after all.

anyone know a word synonomous with tomatoe?

Tim

This is totally beyond me. I simply pointed out that the reference showing them as synonymous works both ways in the Thesaurus. What was offensive in that post?

I'm out.

Okay, looks like it was not picked up for some reason.

I will post the m-w THESAURUS entry on Evidence which points directly to proof

Entry Word: evidence
Function: noun
Text: something presented in support of the truth or accuracy of a claim <do you have any evidence that this bike is yours?> -- see PROOF

If you use the right tools, you see that the words are in fact synonymous. Common usage may have developed different intent, and so one must consider whether they are synonymous in the context. In this context, as MMinNY points out, they are not.

Posted by Doc Martin
Post #5342
OK, let's look at these records in detail with my record-assessment hat on. I'll do it formally as if it were a first for Britain. I don't speak like this really. and I have no particular reason for wanting IBWO to be extinct.

The first sighting (1970) was in the family garden when the observer was still living at home (presumable child/teenager). He had never seen Pileated, and in fact it sounds like it was the first time he had ever looked at a bird. While I'm not doubting that weird shit happens, does that not strike you as a bit unlikely?

Steve replies-I had seen multiple birds up to that time, most consisted of very common birds such as pigeons, house sparrows, cardinals, etc. I was certainly not a birder at the time if that is what you are referring to. Previous to moving to the area where the Ivory-bills where seen, my family lived in a small town. I realize now some populations of Pileateds have adapted to living in towns, but at that time, I had never seen or heard of a Pileated (and coming from a town, rather than the country that was very normal for the date and location). Pileateds were/are still relatively uncommon in the general area that I grew up in (in southern Indiana). The sighting where the ivorybills where seen was (at the time) largely uncut (with some probable virgin) timber.

Second, I know when I started birding I was not able to recall or describe bird plumages accurately. For example, I had my first Little Owl pointed out to me, and I remember every detail of where I was and who I was with, and my notes describe a Little owl, but every detail of my memory paints it as a Barn Owl, clear as day. It *was* a Little Owl but at the time my poor brain had only ever seen pictures of Barn Owl, so that's what I remembered seeing. There's loads of other 'I wonder if it was [rare bird]?' episodes from my early birding days, and I'm absolutely convinced that it is possible, in good faith, to 'remember' seeing an unidentified rarity when you were little and to convince yourself it really was a rarity, when in fact, as we all know, it was much more likely statistically, to have been a common bird. So I would want to see pretty good notes taken at the time before this record was acceptable.

Steve replies-On the first sighting, I could have possibly agreed with you if myself and four others did not make a positive identification with a bird guide in hand (this was stated and explained quite clearly on the website)
I saw this bird,
my brother Ben saw this bird,
my sister Susan saw this bird,
my mother Pearl saw this bird,
my father Patrick saw this bird, all while looking at a field guide with a picture of both a Pileated and an Ivorybill side by side. That is why so many details have been remembered, because we were comparing it to the field guide, not by any means because we were expert birders (we were not). I remember asking my mother why the bird we were looking at had a white stripe going only under its eye, while the one in the book had the white stripe going to and touching the bill (unknown to us at the time, the painting in the field guide had been illustrated incorrectly). I have explained in detail (on the website) a very probable explanation of the pale grey bill color/dark nasal bristle color).

Third, in light of that, there are no field notes presented (although they are referred to).
Steve replies-The first digital illustrations where indeed not created from field note, but from memory and I have stated that some features were clearly remembered, and some features were not clearly remembered.
The second illustration (of bird in flight) is a complete digital recreation of the ACTUAL field notes, including much of the recorded text and flight pattern on the page.

The painting presented was drawn from memory *34* years later and includes very minor plumage and structural details that would not have been recorded or noted by a beginning birdwatcher. The details presented are not consistent with the competence of the observer or the circumstances of the observation.

Steve replies-Again refer to this (previously stated)
On the first sighting, I could have possibly agreed with you if myself and four others did not make a positive identification with a bird guide in had (this was stated and explained quite clearly on the website)
I saw this bird,
my brother Ben saw this bird,
my sister Susan saw this bird,
my mother Pearl saw this bird,
my father Patrick saw this bird, all while looking at a field guide with a picture of both a Pileated and an Ivorybill side by side. That is why so many details have been remembered, because we were comparing it to the field guide, not by any means because we were expert birders (we were not). I remember asking my mother why the bird we were looking at had a white stripe going only under its eye, while the one in the book had the white stripe going to and touching the bill (painting in the field guide had been illustrated incorrectly). I have explained in detail (on the website) a very probable explanation of the pale grey bill color and dark nasal bristle color.

Fourth, the description contains plumage and bare part details that are absolutely wrong for IBWO.
Steve replies-Explain yourself in detail on this........plumage is as consistent as the second sighting of the flying bird at 50+/- feet would allow and perched at 70+/- feet would allow. I have already previously explained (again on web site) that the details of the exact white/black distribution in relation to which secondaries/primaries were involved is subject to question. Tell me who can give an exact description down to the exact feathers on a bird whose wings are in continuous movement, I for one cannot, so I recorded (within 30 minutes) to the best of my abilities.

bare part details that are absolutely wrong for IBWO
Steve replies- I have explained in detail (on the website) a very probable explanation of the pale grey bill color and dark nasal bristle color.

Formally, the record would be rejected, and privately I would think that (in good faith) the observer has inadvertently embellished his memory in the 34 years before doing his paintings.
Steve replies- As explained above, I have admitted (in detail, on website) that the first sighting may have some errors in some areas, other areas of that sighting where recorded accurately (compared against a field guide, again described on website). Many of the details of the first sighting were recorded accurately only because a field guide and four other observers were involved (again-NOT because any of us were expert birders).
Second sighting - recorded at the time of occurrence as accurately as possibly, memory was not an issue here and a field guide was not referred to.

The second record (1978) is a better one, if one ignores the fact that the observer's reputation was a bit shot by the previous flight of fantasy.
Steve replies- I have always tried to be civil in my replies to others, I would appreciate the same from you. Please stick to facts or constructive criticism on discussion, rather than personal opinion/attacks not based on the information at hand. I have explained in full detail why such first sighting details were recorded.

The observer has now been birding for 8 years (good!) and has seen a 'fair few' Pileateds (not good - suggests limited experience - there are surely 1000s Pileateds to every putative IBWO).
Steve replies-Again please stick to the facts, 10 sightings a year of Pileated in this area was pretty good at the time. They certainly are not as plentiful here as in the southern swamps. You are basing your opinion on lack of knowledge of this specific area. I have not had “huge numbers” of Pileated sightings. I have seen probably 500 or less Pileateds in my life time, I know others have seen many more than this. I have examined museum Pileateds and a dead bird in hand (shot with a 22 rifle by an unknown individual). I am familiar with Pileated characteristics.

The sighting was less than 2 minutes (can't be helped) also close to the observer's house (wow! - odd), in flight and perched.
Steve replies-You have taken this out of context. My house was surrounded on three side by woodland, two sides of which were possible virgin timber, this was not someone’s “in town” home here. The second sighting was not in my yard, it was in the woods.

Field notes were taken within 30 minutes of the sighting (just about acceptable) but are not presented.
Steve replies-They were presented, please re-read the website and the above notes. You seem to have chosen to omit much of what was presented on the web page/pdf files.

We are presented with two finished paintings that show more plumage details than could be observed under the circumstances, but are strongly indicative of IBWO.
Steve replies-This was discussed in detail here and on the website, please re-read the website and the above notes. The images are digital creations, not paintings, Those of the second bird in flight are based on the scanned images of the actual old field notes.

Unfortunately, they also contain details (bare part color) that are wrong for IBWO.
Steve replies-This was discussed in detail here and on the website, please re-read the website and the above notes.

If the original field notes were presented, the record might get the benefit of the doubt for an 'average' rarity, but would be probably be rejected if we were assessing it at a level equivalent to a British first.
Steve replies-Details of the original notes for the second sighting were indeed supplied, the pdf showing the flying bird is based largely on those notes. I fail to understand why you have chosen to ignore so much of the data/discussions that was/were presented on the webpage.
-----------------
Steve replies-Should you have any additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. Please read/study/absorb all the information on the web site as it appears that you missed much of its content (I am not saying this to be critical). You cannot begin to imagine the amount of outside grief my sightings have caused me. It would have been so much easier just to keep my mouth shut about these sightings, my life certainly would have been much easier. In knowing what I have truly seen, I just cannot lie by remaining silent. I acknowledge that pale grey bill/dark nasal bristles are not typical of Ivorybills, that is why I presented the very logical staining theory (staining is common in other North American woodpeckers, I have documented it in Downies, Hairies and Red-bellieds, why not Ivorybills?).

If I intended to fake these sightings, don’t you think I would have made them “text book classic”

with stunning white bills,

white nasal bristles,

fast straight “Pintail duck” like flight

rather than based on recording what I truly saw.

very sincerely Steve Sheridan
-------
edition added 7/14/06. Regarding the staining, I have also seen, documented and photographed Downy woodpeckers with chestnut staining (from probable wood tannins) on face and lower neck/throat.
Since chestnut is never one of the colors that normally appear on Downies, would you dismiss these sightings on this bases? At least one of these birds was a female that could be consistently recognized from all other local Downies. The staining was indeed just that, as at other times of the year this female showed normal color.

Last edited:
Bonsaibirder said:
Bonsaibirder said:
emupilot said:
Many have presumed this to be a decoy (along with an early 1970's photo), which means a photo would have to be of a flying bird to be acceptable to skeptics.

No, it needs to be of a live bird.

Just correcting an illogical statement.

Well, obviously a photo of a live bird would demonstrate the species exists, but it's up to the skeptics to decide if a photo is of a live bird or not. Since skeptics assume the IBWO to be extinct, the assumption upon seeing a photo would be that it was a decoy, a mounted specimen, or photoshopped. It would be difficult to disprove the "fake" hypothesis for a perched bird, but a photo of a flying bird would be very difficult to fabricate.

frankly, those whom are termed 'sceptics' are rapidly losing interest in the whole thing, it's become a joke ... if they are still out there (and I sincerely hope they are) someone will come along with what's required, not the ambiguous rubbish so far put forth ... good luck

Posted by choupique1
post#5374
more than flying like a pintail... the IBWO flies like a hooded merganser.
-----
Sorry, Choup, I just have not had any first hand experience with Mergansers, I have only ever seen one female hooded merganser, it was much smaller than an Ivorybill.

I once compared the Ivorybills unhurried flight (based on one sighting) to a similar flight pattern I have seen in Ravens (not to be confused at all with crow-like flight). Much more graceful than crow or Pileated flight.

emupilot said:
a photo of a flying bird would be very difficult to fabricate.

Agreed.

emupilot said:
it's up to the skeptics to decide if a photo is of a live bird or not.

Not its not, its up to everyone who is interested in this species and whether it still exists or not to make their own mind up based on what documentation is presented. (and if its OK with everyone else ;) to discuss/debate it)

I expect that in most cases it will be easy to tell if a bird is alive or stuffed and nailed to a tree. Personally I think the TMGUY photo is not a real bird. The other good photo that people have talked about and has been accused of being a fake is a different kettle of fish - I haven't looked too closely but so far I can't tell either way.

emupilot said:
Since skeptics assume the IBWO to be extinct

Not necessarily true.

Bobby Harrison had conclusive proof on a video didn't he?

A one second shot of a bird in flight of which Jackson said this in the Auk: In addition to the Luneau video, the bird in another video made by Bobby Harrison in the same area in September 2004 and shown to me on 3 November 2005 is equally problematic with regard to species identification. It shows an extensively black-and-white bird flying behind a tree on which an Ivory-billed Woodpecker decoy had been fastened, but the flying bird is masked by vegetation and there is no size reference. Video and sound evidence of Ivorybilled Woodpeckers in the Big Woods of eastern Arkansas are inconclusive, and sight reports cannot be verified. Advocates for the presence of Ivory-billed Woodpeckers in the Big Woods added multiple bits of inconclusive evidence, and the sum, somehow, became confirmation of the existence of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker.

Cornell have also seen this but didn't even bother to mention it, never mind agree with Harrison that it's an IBWO.

Point being, this is one of the guys that definitely saw an IBWO and set off the whole farago. Reliable?

Nobody has proof. Everything on here is just an argument over evidence (or lack thereof).

Peregrinator said:
What?? One of the points of my post was that arguments are NOT proof. I"m NOT presenting ANYTHING, YOU are the one claiming arguments*(please refer to 5315 in MAC's post) are proof. I was disputing YOU! I"m simply responding to your:

Good siting, Tim.

By the way, I didn't declare the IBWO extinct. I am merely convinced by other scientists' arguments(*) that is is extinct, more than I am convinced it is NOT extinct. No one has shown me anything to make me believe otherwise. It's YOUR job to make me believe it is extant, and so far you have not.

I am merely telling YOU that YOUR assertions that, "I am merely convinced by other scientists' arguments that is is extinct..." are not proof. Just because YOU believe "arguments" make the IB extinct, doesn't make it extinct. YOU are the one who is merely presenting arguments, not proof. YOU are the one claiming arguments are proof..., not me. YOU are the one stating claims (yours) are proof (not me). Read post #5315
P.S. Have a nice day.

Bonsaibirder said:
Agreed.

Not its not, its up to everyone who is interested in this species and whether it still exists or not to make their own mind up based on what documentation is presented. (and if its OK with everyone else ;) to discuss/debate it)

I expect that in most cases it will be easy to tell if a bird is alive or stuffed and nailed to a tree. Personally I think the TMGUY photo is not a real bird. The other good photo that people have talked about and has been accused of being a fake is a different kettle of fish - I haven't looked too closely but so far I can't tell either way.

Not necessarily true.

One thing that may be telling is the context of the good shot. Luneau and cinclodes videos have one thing in common, they have multiple images. There is no denying that the subject is a living bird. As far as the single other pictures go, they're just that, single good pictures. Where's the rest of the film? I would expect that the preceeding and succeeding frames should show the bird also, maybe not so well. A sequence of negatives would go a long way in the validation process, even if the photos sucked.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back