• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iPhone app: Birds of the Indian Subcontinent - any good? (1 Viewer)

Ian Traynor

I see that there is now an iPhone / iPad bird ID app based on "Birds of the Indian Subcontinent" book by Grimmett, Inskip & Inskip.

Has any one got this? If so, what are your views on it, please.

The title of the app is "eGuide to Birds of the Indian Subcontinent".

Thanks

I have the android app, but I guess it's not massively different. It's okay but doesn't include any sounds. For the price that's very disappointing. It has more-or-less the same info and illustrations as the field guide, so I guess it's handy to have it on the phone. The style of presentation is very similar to other apps from the same company (e.g. the Sibley guide to N. America).

[Edit: beaten to the punch by the professor of quick posting!]

I don't have it, but afaik it doesn't have vocalizations, so not much of an "app". More of an expensive ebook. If you expect to refer to it a lot, a paper guide is going to be more convenient to flip through IMO.

Last edited:
I have the Iphone-App and there are several mistakes in it (mixed up range maps, mixed up illustrations). I told the developpers about it and they promised to change it. That was more than a year ago and nothing happened. I would recommend the e-book "Birds of the Indian Subcontinent". It also includes sounds and is a perfect companion (however rather on a tablet than on a phone).

André

I would recommend the e-book "Birds of the Indian Subcontinent". It also includes sounds and is a perfect companion (however rather on a tablet than on a phone).

What are you referring to exactly? Amazon lists no e-book version for this guide, let alone one that "includes sounds"--which, in any event, would make it an app rather than an ebook in my opinion. I can't find one in the apple store either.

I have the Iphone-App and there are several mistakes in it (mixed up range maps, mixed up illustrations). I told the developpers about it and they promised to change it. That was more than a year ago and nothing happened. I would recommend the e-book "Birds of the Indian Subcontinent". It also includes sounds and is a perfect companion (however rather on a tablet than on a phone).

André

Thanks for the feedback, Andre. Unfortunately I only have an iPhone. I'm thinking about the app to save me having to carry a heavy field guide with me when I visit Sri Lanka next year

I have the android app, but I guess it's not massively different. It's okay but doesn't include any sounds. For the price that's very disappointing. It has more-or-less the same info and illustrations as the field guide, so I guess it's handy to have it on the phone. The style of presentation is very similar to other apps from the same company (e.g. the Sibley guide to N. America).

Thanks, Andrew

Last edited:
The app is a replica of the book and it is easy to browse through.. If you want to avoid carrying the weight, the app is a good option...

I've just checked your link out, Andre, and read the following extract from a review:

"I remember that the downloaded file was exceptionably big. Now I know why. Everything in this book has been loaded as an image file: not just the pictures of birds and their distribution maps, but the text, as well. It looks like text and, to the human brain, it is text, but it’s only another image, for a computer, unsearchable for a text-string."

Yes, it could be a light-weight substitute for carrying the paper version around, but it doesn't seem very usable |:S|

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back